|This article is about The Universe Mach 3. You may be looking for Handmade Spaceship or Mach 2.|
Presenting the brand-new ballistic-flight-capable Universe Mach 3!
The "Universe Mach 3" is a spacecraft constructed by Pearl in the episode "Space Race". It is constructed for the purpose of space travel, and to fulfill a particular liability Pearl provided herself with; travelling with Steven to see the cosmos.
Evidently, it does not leave the atmosphere before it falls apart and explodes.
The Universe Mach 3 is constructed using parts from The Barn, along with the logo and wheels from his van. The ship has one main thruster, producing a blue flame with pulsating rings, with eight smaller engines hidden in the wings.
These engines are shown to be very powerful, knocking Greg off his feet with upon lift off. There are three retractable landing gears mounted on the body.
- The spacecraft has three landing gears, with four tires. When Greg woke up, his van is missing the logo on the side, along with the wheels (the tires and the wheels themselves).
- It is implied that Pearl somehow managed to take all these parts from the van and attach them to the spaceship in the two scenes that she woke Steven up and showed him the completed ship.
- Despite the ship's destruction, the van has all its parts the next time it is seen.
- The chair sitting on the grass outside of the Barn is used as the pilot seat. Its reclining lever is repurposed to eject Pearl and Steven.
- The chair is also fitted with an engine on the bottom, and a parachute on the top, much like ejection seats found in modern fighter jets.
- The ship has a control panel that could communicate with the walkie talkies used earlier in the episode.
- An unused part in the storage shed reads "UNVS-3", which may have inspired the name "Universe Mach 3".
- According to how Pearl stated they would be back from the nearest star system in 50 years, the spacecraft is capable of reaching speeds approaching 17% the speed of light, almost 50,000 km/s (about 31,000 m/s).