|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the DVD.|
Just be careful, or I'm gonna run fresh out of family.
After getting his usual fry bits from Peedee, Steven talks to Greg about the Crystal Gems countering against Peridot's robonoids. Suddenly, they, as well as the rest of Beach City, see a strange object in the sky: a giant, green hand pointing directly at them.
The Crystal Gems believe that Peridot has finally arrived and, with Steven, use the Quartizine Trio along with another light cannon forming the Quartizine Quartet against the ship. However, they have no effect on it. Anticipating an all-out battle, Steven calls Bill Dewey to help evacuate the town. To his surprise, he is told by the Gems to join his dad and the rest of the people, being the voice for them and protect them, just as his mother did.
Leaving the town, Steven hopes that Peridot will leave them alone once she sees what the Earthlings are like, but Greg has doubts. He then accidentally blurts out that he knew other Gems had invaded Earth before. Unable to hold in the truth any longer, he tells Steven that his mother, Rose Quartz, rebelled because of "something awful" her kind was doing to the planet. He goes on to say that many lives were lost in the battle, Gems and people alike, and, because of her shield, she was only able to save a handful of her closest friends and drive the rest of the invaders from Earth.
Steven begs his dad to turn around so he can help the others and accidentally triggers the air bag system in the van, launching himself out with his bubble shield. He then asks Greg to keep the evacuees safe while he finds a way back to Beach City. Lion arrives to help him do just that. On his way, he leaves a voice message to Connie's house.
They both meet up with the Crystal Gems; Amethyst and Pearl fuse as Opal in a futile attempt to shoot down the ship. As it finally lands, they see three other Gems emerge: Peridot, a large Gem named Jasper, who has a grudge against Rose, and Lapis Lazuli, who had been dragged with them. Jasper is not impressed with what she sees and orders Peridot to destroy them using lasers from the ship. The Crystal Gems beg Steven to leave, but he refuses, stating he is a Crystal Gem, too. He then jumps in front of them and shields them from the blast.
After the smoke clears, Jasper is shocked to find Steven bearing the same Gem power as Rose Quartz, mistaking him for his mother. Shortly afterward Steven collapses from the exhaustion of creating such a large shield. She decides to take him to Yellow Diamond before she sees Garnet rushing in to attack. Garnet is countered by Jasper's helmet before being poofed by a Gem Destabilizer, leaving two dormant gems in the aftermath; one red and one blue.
Jasper declares her victory as she subdues the rest of the team, starting with Steven. She headbutts Steven as the screen blacks out, due to Steven being knocked unconscious, abruptly ending the episode.
- Greg Universe
- Mr. Fryman
- Peedee Fryman
- Kiki Pizza
- Jenny Pizza
- Bill Dewey
- Peridot (antagonist)
- Jasper (debut, antagonist)
- Lapis Lazuli
- Opal (non-speaking cameo)
- Connie Maheswaran (mentioned)
- Dr. Priyanka Maheswaran (heard)
- Sour Cream (cameo)
- Onion (cameo)
- Yellowtail (cameo)
- Buck Dewey (cameo)
- Lars (speaking cameo)
- Ronaldo Fryman (cameo)
- Sadie Miller (cameo)
- Barbara Miller (cameo)
- Yellow Diamond (mentioned)
- Rose Quartz (mentioned)
- Laser Light Cannon
- Quartizine Trio
- Cheeseburger Backpack
- Steven's Phone
- Greg's Van
- Ronaldo's Phone
- Jasper's Crash Helmet (debut)
- Gem Destabilizer (debut)
- Gem Warship (debut)
- Mayor Dewey's Van
- After Jasper saw Steven summon Rose Quartz's shield, she assumed that Steven is Rose in a weaker form, and still keeps that assumption.
- In this episode, it is learned that Steven can summon a very large shield, but it leaves him extremely exhausted.
- The frontal close up of Opal shooting the arrow is the same animation used in "Giant Woman".
- The Laser Light Cannon and the Quartizine Trio, make an appearance again. They are activated by the same method: Steven saying the phrase, "If every porkchop were perfect, we wouldn't have hotdogs."
- The Crystal Gems were using the same telescope to view the Gem Warship close up as they did with the Red Eye in "Laser Light Cannon" and later to check for Peridot in "Cry for Help".
- The fourth cannon that made its debut in "Laser Light Cannon" is moved via the red wagon again.
- Opal's outfit changed since her last appearance, due to Pearl's regeneration.
- Steven mentioned that it is time for some "political favors", and then called Bill Dewey. This referenced "Cat Fingers", when Greg and Steven are washing Bill Dewey's van and Greg stated that they could get "political favors" when the job is done.
- The reason Jasper called Amethyst an "overcooked runt" is later revealed in "Too Far" to be due that Quartzes are supposed to be roughly twice Amethyst's height, but she "stayed in the ground too long."
- When Mayor Dewey's van is out signaling everyone to evacuate, the nose of the head on top the van is not colored in, or is the same color as Mayor Dewey's skin, instead of red.
- When Jasper calls Amethyst "a puny overcooked runt", the star-shaped hand guard on her whip appears to have four points instead of five.
- When Garnet got hit by Jasper's Gem Destabilizer and her gems touched the ground, Her gems became the opposite color of each other, Ruby's gem appeared blue, while Sapphire's is red.
- When Jasper walked onto the beach after using a Gem Destabilizer on Garnet, she leaves no visible footprints, and her feet do not sink into the sand.
- When Jasper picks Steven up, she uses her right hand. In the next shot, she is seen grasping him with her left hand.
- When Steven flew out of Greg's van, you can see Bill Dewey in his car smiling.
- When Garnet talks to Steven after giving him the megaphone, Ruby's gem appeared instead of Sapphire's.
- Jasper's outfit changed momentarily to the form she had in "Jail Break" before attacking Garnet.
- When Steven lifts up his hoodie while convincing his dad that he's the only one that can save the Gems, his shirt isn't seen when in fact it should be visible underneath his hoodie.
- After the first sonic disturbance from the Gem Warship, the glass windows of the shops along the boardwalk are shattered, but when they are shown again later, the windows are unbroken.
- While atop the Gem Warship, the ribbon on Lapis' top is missing.
- While the Gem Warship is seen through the telescope, it appears to resemble a left hand. While being hit by Opal's arrows, it resembled a right hand. However, upon landing on the beach, it is a left hand again.
- While Jasper is ordering Peridot around the ship, Peridot's screen is a rectangular shape with the fingers from her Limb Enhancers on the corners. When a close-up of the screen is shown, it is an octagonal shape with the fingers on the sides.
View the episode's transcript here.