I didn't fight a one thousand-year war for this planet's independence to take orders from the likes of you!
|—Pearl, "Back to the Barn"|
The Rebellion or the "Gem War" was an event that occurred approximately 5,750 years ago, according to Garnet, when the Crystal Gems rebelled against the Gem Homeworld to protect Earth. According to Pearl, the war lasted approximately 1000 years. The war ended with the Diamonds setting off a weapon that corrupted every unprotected Gem that remained on Earth, in a last-ditch effort to win the war. Ultimately, the Crystal Gems emerged victorious.
In "It Could've Been Great", Peridot reveals that the plan for the Homeworld Gems was to colonize the Earth by erecting multiple spires and making more Kindergartens, but would strip the entire planet of its resources while virtually erasing all pre-existing life on Earth. However, Rose Quartz saw that every life was important and worth protecting, and started to rebel against her kind, with Pearl alongside her.In "The Answer", Garnet made it seem as if Homeworld was previously colonizing the Earth, under Blue Diamond's jurisdiction, though it was actually under Pink Diamond. During that time, 5,750 years ago, the Quartz soldier Rose Quartz started a rebellion. After this, a small group of rebels emerged to oppose the colonization of the planet. Due to this, Blue Diamond summoned Sapphire and had to assign three Ruby guards to protect her, one of which included Ruby herself.
During a two-Gem raid by Rose and Pearl's conduct, Ruby fused with Sapphire by accident to form Garnet for the very first time. After the two rebels fled the scene, Blue Diamond demanded that Ruby be "shattered" for the incident. Sapphire reacted by grabbing Ruby and jumping out of the arena towards the Earth's surface. Over an unknown period of time, Ruby and Sapphire developed a romantic relationship and fused once again. After running into Rose and Pearl again in a chance encounter, Ruby and Sapphire as Garnet joined the Crystal Gems' rebellion.
Pink Diamond was eventually shattered somewhere between halfway through the Rebellion (when Jasper was made) and the end.
In "Rose's Scabbard", the Crystal Gems visit an ancient Gem Battlefield where Pearl says a battle was fought over 5,000 years ago. Garnet describes that countless Gems were broken in a maelstrom of death and destruction during the fight. In "Sworn to the Sword", Pearl later reveals that some of the first battles for Earth happened at the Ancient Sky Arena. She also states in "On the Run" that the Homeworld Gems wanted to do something bad to the Earth, and some Gems, such as herself, Garnet, and Rose Quartz found their proposals unfair to the life already existent on the Earth. They rebelled against them, and the historic battle happened with Rose Quartz leading her armies of Crystal Gems, fighting against the Gem Homeworld.
Greg Universe also appears to have knowledge of the war; he states in "The Return" that during the Rebellion, Rose could only use her shield to save a handful of her closest friends, and that many Gems and people died during the conflict. In this episode, Jasper also states she was present during the war for Earth, and that she fought against Rose's armies, enough to develop a level of respect for her tactics.
"Serious Steven" is the first episode to show this battlefield, and the events of the Rebellion are most likely recorded on the walls of the Pyramid Temple, as one can see a carving of Rose fighting against an unknown Gem.
In "Same Old World", Lapis, as she tells Steven her backstory, shows him how, when it became clear there was no hope of stopping the rebellion, the Homeworld Gems remaining on Earth quickly fled the planet by using either the Galaxy Warp or the original colonization ships. She was accidentally left behind in the panic to escape.
In "Monster Reunion", it is revealed the Centipeetle was the captain of a squadron that was sent to Earth together by an unknown commander. At the end of the Rebellion, the soldiers were ordered to retreat and a flash of bright light was cast upon the Earth, by the Diamonds, which caused the corruption of Gems.
- The weapons of the Gem Warriors, who were destroyed during the Rebellion, were left on the Battlefield.
- Sets of armor are seen that Pearl refers to as "The Armor of the Fallen" in Rose's Secret Armory; it is possible that the armor used to belong to the deceased Gems during the Rebellion.
- However, the majority of Gems did not use external armor (aside from weapons similar to Jasper's Helmet that could be summoned and dismissed at will). Greg Universe told Steven that both Gems and Humans were involved in the Rebellion, so the Armor of the Fallen might have belonged to Human warriors that died in battle fighting alongside Rose Quartz.
- Amethyst was not part of the fighting because she emerged about 500 years after, and it is later stated by Steven that she did not "come out of the ground" until the Rebellion was over, which might indicate that she was still incubating during the event of the war. Amethyst never experienced the war, though she has said that she wishes she could have been a part of it.
- Greg said the Rebellion ended with Gems and people being destroyed, indicating humans might have been involved in the Rebellion or some humans were unfortunate victims of it.
- Pearl confirms that the Crystal Gems used the Wailing Stone during the Rebellion to communicate in "Rose's Room".
- Pearl states that the Rebellion lasted roughly one thousand years.
- It seems that the knowledge about of the Rebellion was either restricted, or openly discouraged, on Homeworld; in "Marble Madness", Peridot didn't know that any Gems existed on Earth at all, and clearly didn't understand who the Crystal Gems were supposed to be, and why they were trying to interfere with her activities.
- In Centipeetle's explanation for her corruption, she drew only three Diamonds but old Gem structures on Earth had four diamond symbols. This indicates that at the end of the Rebellion, the number of Diamonds at the start, which was four, was reduced to three by the end of it.
- This was essentially confirmed in "Back to the Moon", when it was said that Pink Diamond was supposedly shattered by Rose Quartz.
|Events||Beach City or Bust • Beach City Underground Wrestling • Beach-a-Palooza • Boardwalk Parade • DelmarvaCon • The Rebellion|