Steven is relatively short with a thick build. He has curly dark brown hair and black pupils. He wears a reddish-pink T-shirt with a yellow star on it. He also wears blue jeans and reddish-pink sandals. His gem, a rose quartz which he inherited from his mother, is where his belly button should be.
- In "Frybo", "Coach Steven", and "Steven the Sword Fighter", he wore a medium-pink jacket over his normal outfit.
- In "Arcade Mania" and "Monster Buddies", he used a down jacket colored white.
- In the episode "Beach Party", he wore a yellow-outlined tank top version of his shirt, along with denim shorts.
- In the episode "Watermelon Steven", he wore a straw hat with a dark pink ascot and light-blue overalls.
- In the episode "Coach Steven", he wore a casual pink tank top with reddish-brown shorts, and a headband horizontally colored periwinkle, white and red.
Steven has a fun and musical personality. He is often seen singing and occasionally playing on his ukulele. He enjoys adventures and wants to save the world with his fellow Crystal Gems, Garnet, Amethyst, and Pearl, even though he doesn't have control over his gem yet. He treats them like friends, looks up to them like sisters, and takes their advice to heart. Steven has a very unique way of handling problems, often making them worse before solving them. What he lacks in experience and magical ability he makes up for by being resourceful, optimistic, and confident in himself. He tries to fix problems on his own first before seeking help, fueled by his happy-go-lucky attitude.
However, despite his cheerful attitude, Steven has his limits. Due to never getting to know his mother, he is extremely protective whenever someone badmouths her. As shown in "Lars and the Cool Kids", when Lars blamed his problems on Steven's "weird mom." Normally trying to make friends with the stuck up teen, Steven immediately snaps at him, much to Lars own surprise.
Being half-human and half-gem, it is unknown if he possesses all the abilities of a pure Gem, such as retreating to their gemstone when taking fatal damage. Steven has shown the abilities of a regular Gem such as to shapeshift, summon his weapon (a shield), but has little control of them due to him not having enough training. He can also warp using the warp pads, and bubble objects and gemstones to be teleported to the temple with seemingly full control.
Due to having his mother's gemstone, he shares most of his unique abilities with her.
- Weapon Morphing: Steven has shown multiple times to summon his shield in the form of a bubble which encases Steven and whoever he's protecting in a nearly indestructible bubble.
- Age Manipulation: In the episode "So Many Birthdays", Steven discovers he can manipulate his age through his state of mind and maturity. Steven's biological age depends solely on how old he thinks he is.
- Healing Spit (currently lost): Steven has the power to heal injuries ranging from humans to Gems. Steven's healing capabilities have not yet been seen to the full extent of his power but has shown to heal the crack of a broken gemstone, as seen he healed Lapis Lazuli in "Ocean Gem", heal human injuries, seen when he healed eyesight of Connie in "An Indirect Kiss" and Greg's leg in "House Guest".
- Chlorokinesis: In "Watermelon Steven", Steven discovers he has the ability to grow sentient flora, in the form of watermelon shape like Steven, that act as his guardians but due to his lack of control, the Watermelon Stevens ignore Steven and attacked who they thought were threatening him.
Not much is known about Steven's relationship with his mother as she had to give up her physical form to give birth to Steven. She gave him her gem, the rose quartz. However in "Lars and the Cool Kids" Steven defended Rose when Lars called her weird, saying that he was sad since he never knew his mother, yet he knows Rose saw beauty in everything.
Greg Universe is Steven's father. As seen in "Laser Light Cannon" and "Cat Fingers", they share a strong father-to-son bond and Greg is always emotionally supportive. Although Greg does not live with Steven, they often hang out. In "House Guest", it shows that Steven and his father used to lived together, but are not currently for unknown reasoning.
Pearl acts more motherly to Steven than the other Crystal Gems do, as whenever he's in a possibly dangerous situation, she usually panics and acts first to protect him. Likewise, Steven seems to think of Pearl as a motherly figure as well, nearly crying at her defeat in "Steven the Sword Fighter" and keeping a framed photo of her in "Monster Buddies".
Amethyst acts like an older sister to Steven, often joking around with him and joining him in his misadventures. Pearl will often scold Amethyst for being too reckless with Steven when she misleads him such as in "Cat Fingers," which Amethyst admits is probably accurate. Steven seems to acknowledge Amethyst's reckless nature, calling her out when she didn't help him in "Joking Victim" and worrying for her safety in "An Indirect Kiss".
Garnet acts more like a mentor towards Steven, always encouraging him and setting a good example. It is shown that Steven respects her as he always listens whenever she speaks. Steven usually asks Garnet for permission before anyone else, as shown in "Monster Buddies".
Sadie is one of Steven's friends who, unlike her fellow employee Lars, is friendly, considerate and affectionate towards Steven. In "Joking Victim", Steven helps Sadie by working at the Big Donut. Steven also helps Sadie to strengthen relations with Lars in "Island Adventure".
Connie is one of Steven's friends and crush whom he saved in "Bubble Buddies" from a falling rock using his magical crystal bubble power. He is initially seen being relatively nervous to talk with her, but presently, they appear to be close friends. In "Lion 2:The Movie", they are shown hanging out. In "An Indirect Kiss", Steven and Connie almost kissed, as referred to by the title.
Onion is Steven's friend whom he talks to in the episode "Bubble Buddies." Steven addresses Onion as if they're good friends. In "Onion Trade," Steven gives his favorite action figure to him as a gift, despite the fact that Onion had originally stolen it.
Lars appears to be annoyed by Steven. He is always making fun of him, although this may only be because he is jealous of Steven for being a Crystal Gem. Steven may be ignorant of this however, because in "Bubble Buddies," he refers to Lars as his 'BFF.' However in "Lars and the Cool Kids" he got angry with Lars and called him a jerk for insulting his mother. As of "Lars and the Cool Kids" Lars and Steven find a way to connect and Lars is seemingly on better terms with Steven.
Steven became friends with her in "Mirror Gem" when he was given the Mirror by Pearl, which turned out to not work. Then a little while later, Lapis began to talk to Steven and they became good friends. She wanted to get out of the mirror and told Steven how to do so. After she was free, she warns Steven not to trust the Crystal Gems and walks away. In "Ocean Gem", Steven healed Lapis's gem crack, which in result, gave her eyes and wings back. She thanks Steven before departing back to her home planet.
- Steven, along with Sugilite, is the only Gem whose gemstone is not a birthstone.
- Steven's name and appearance is based on Rebecca Sugar's brother, Steven Sugar, who is a background artist for the show.
- In the transition from the pilot to the series, Steven underwent only one change, it being:
- Removal of gold ring around gem.
- Steven is the only character that is not named after his gem.
- Steven's middle name (Quartz), represents Rose Quartz.
- Steven is the only Crystal Gem that doesn't have a color scheme that matches his gem.
- This could be because he is part human, or he inherited his mother's skin.
- He is also the first and only male Gem so far in the series.
- The rose quartz on Steven is faceted with a pentagonal shape.
- In "Together Breakfast," he had a phone similar to an iPhone, but Garnet snatched it from him to destroy it after he took a picture of the Evil Scroll.
- However, in "House Guest" a new phone can be seen on his nightstand.
- In "Together Breakfast" Steven seems to be surprisingly strong, as he was the only one to defeat the Together Breakfast in its mutated state by himself without the other Crystal Gems. He also displays a large amount of strength in "Arcade Mania" when he rips off the top of the Meat Beat Mania arcade game to break Garnet from her trance.
- This could possibly be because of his shape-shifting abilities acting up in times of need.
- Steven has an ability to grow to whatever age he wants to be, shown in "So Many Birthdays."
- In "So Many Birthdays," his adult version of himself is similar to Rebecca Sugar's Brother, Steven Sugar.
- Steven is homeschooled by the Gems.
- He is revealed to be the first half-human, half-Gem to exist. 
- Steven's shield has appeared two times throughout the series, once in "Gem Glow" and a second time in the episode "Ocean Gem".
- It was revealed in "Monster Buddies" that Steven keeps a framed picture of Pearl on the side of his fridge.
- He is the character who cried the most in the series so far, 7 times.
- Steven is the only character to appear in every episode so far.
- It's shown in the episode "Island Adventure" that Steven doesn't really know the concept of privacy.
- In "Warp Tour", Steven is revealed to have an allergy to pollen.
- In "Alone Together", Steven and Connie fuse together to form Stevonnie.
- Based on Pearl's reaction, it appears that full-blooded Gems are not able to fuse with humans.
- In "The Test", it is revealed that Steven's healing powers have stopped working. It is currently unknown if they can be reactivated or not.
Click here to view the gallery.
| || || || |
|Characters in Steven Universe|
Peedee Fryman • Ronaldo Fryman • Mr. Fryman • Mr. Smiley • Jenny Pizza • Kiki • Kofi • Mr. Maheswaran • Mrs. Maheswaran • Yellowtail • Nanafua • Jamie • Sour Cream • Buck Dewey • Mayor Bill Dewey • Tiny Floating Whale • Steven Jr. • Suitcase Sam • Ace • Ace's Father • Greg's Uncle • Greg's Aunt • Foxman • Hopper • Hoppy • Ringo • Baby Melon • Watermelon Stevens • Sadie's Mother • Dogcopter • Kevin