|Steven Quartz Universe|
|Voiced by||Zach Callison|
Connie (love interest)
|Family|| Greg Universe (father) |
Rose Quartz (mother)
|Current Residence||Crystal Temple|
|Latest Appearance||"Island Adventure"|
Steven is relatively short with a thick build. He has curly dark brown hair and black pupils. He wears a red T-shirt with a picture of a yellow star on it. He also wears blue jeans and reddish pink sandals. His gem, a rose quartz which he inherited from his mother, is where his belly button should be. At the beach party in the episode of the same name, he wore a yellow-outlined tank top version of his shirt.
Steven has a fun and musical personality. He is often seen singing and occasionally playing on his ukulele. He enjoys adventures and wants to save the world with his fellow Crystal Gems, Garnet, Amethyst, and Pearl, even though he doesn't have control over his gem yet. He treats them like friends, looks up to them like sisters, and takes their advice to heart. Steven has a very unique way of handling problems, often making them worse before solving them. What he lacks in experience and magical ability he makes up for by being resourceful, optimistic, and confident in himself. He tries to fix problems on his own first before seeking help, fueled by his happy-go-lucky attitude.
However, despite his cheerful attitude, Steven has his limits. Due to never getting to know his mother, he is extremely protective whenever someone badmouths her. As shown in "Lars and the Cool Kids," when Lars blamed his problems on Steven's "weird mom." Normally trying to make friends with the stuck up teen, Steven immediately snaps at him, much to Lars' own surprise.
Being half-human, it is unknown if he has all the abilities of a regular Crystal Gem. So far he has demonstrated the ability to heal with his spit (unlike his mother who healed with her tears), summon a weapon, shapeshift, and summon a magic bubble to protect him which is nearly indestructible. One unique dexterity about him is that he is able to change his age depending on his psyche, while fullblood Crystal Gems do not age. It is possible that he could be able to fuse and retreat into his gem after being injured to regenerate. In spite of Steven being half-Crystal Gem, he doesn't have enough training to regularly summon his weapon, a pink shield. He was able to successfully summon his shield in "Ocean Gem" when Lapis was about to attack him. He will likely gain more control of his powers over the course of the show. When it comes to musical abilities, he seems to be quite proficient with the ukulele and singing.
Not much is known about Steven's relationship with his mother as she had to give up her physical form to give birth to Steven. She gave him her gem, the rose quartz. However in "Lars and the Cool Kids" Steven defended Rose when Lars called her weird, saying that he was sad since he never knew his mother, yet he knows Rose saw beauty in everything.
Greg Universe is Steven's father. As seen in "Laser Light Cannon" and "Cat Fingers," they share a strong father-to-son bond and Greg is always emotionally supportive. Although Greg does not live with Steven, they often hang out.In House Guest, it shows that Steven and his father used to lived together,but are not for unknown reasoning.
Pearl acts more motherly to Steven than the other Crystal Gems do, as whenever he's in a possibly dangerous situation, she usually panics and acts first to protect him. Likewise, Steven seems to think of Pearl as a motherly figure as well, nearly crying at her defeat in "Steven the Sword Fighter" and keeping a framed photo of her in "Monster Buddies".
Amethyst acts like an older sister to Steven, often joking around with him and joining him in his misadventures. Pearl will often scold Amethyst for being too reckless with Steven when she misleads him such as in "Cat Fingers," which Amethyst admits is probably accurate. Steven seems to acknowledge Amethyst's reckless nature, calling her out when she didn't help him in "Joking Victim" and worrying for her safety in "An Indirect Kiss".
Garnet acts more like a mentor towards Steven, always encouraging him and setting a good example. It is shown that Steven respects her as he always listens whenever she speaks. Steven usually asks Garnet for permission before anyone else, as shown in "Monster Buddies".
Sadie is one of Steven's friends who, unlike her fellow employee Lars, is friendly and considerate towards Steven. In "Joking Victim," Steven helps Sadie by working at the Big Donut.
Connie is one of Steven's friends and a possible crush whom he saved in "Bubble Buddies" from a falling rock using his magical crystal bubble power. He is initially seen being relatively nervous to talk with her, but presently, they appear to be close friends. In "Lion 2:The Movie," they are shown hanging out. In "An Indirect Kiss", Steven and Connie almost kissed, as referred to by the title.
Onion is Steven's friend whom he talks to in the episode "Bubble Buddies." Steven addresses Onion as if they're good friends. In "Onion Trade," Steven gives his favorite action figure to him as a gift, despite the fact that Onion had originally stolen it.
Lars appears to be annoyed by Steven. He is always making fun of him, although this may only be because he is jealous of Steven for being a Crystal Gem. Steven may be ignorant of this however, because in "Bubble Buddies," he refers to Lars as his 'BFF.' However in "Lars and the Cool Kids" he got angry with Lars and called him a jerk for insulting his mother. As of "Lars and the Cool Kids" Lars and Steven find a way to connect and Lars is seemingly on better terms with Steven.
Steven became friends with her in "Mirror Gem" when he was given the Mirror by Pearl, which turned out to not work. Then a little while later, Lapis began to talk to Steven and they became good friends. She wanted to get out of the mirror and told Steven how to do so. After she was free, she warns Steven not to trust the Crystal Gems and walks away. In "Ocean Gem", Steven healed Lapis's gem crack, which in result, gave her eyes and wings back. She thanks Steven before departing back to her home planet.
- Steven, along with Lapis Lazuli and Sugilite, are the only Gems whose gemstones are not a birthstone.
- Steven's name and appearance is based on Rebecca Sugar's brother, Steven Sugar, who is a background artist for the show.
- In the transition from the pilot to the series, Steven underwent only one change, it being:
- Removal of gold ring around gem
- Steven is the only character that is not named after his gem.
- Technically, Steven's middle name (Quartz), represents Rose Quartz.
- Steven is the only Crystal Gem that doesn't have a color scheme that matches with his gem.
- This could be because he is part human, or he inherited his mother's skin.
- He is also the only male member shown so far in the Crystal Gems.
- He is also the first and only male gem so far in the series.
- The rose quartz on Steven is faceted with a pentagonal shape.
- In "Together Breakfast," he had a phone similar to an iPhone, but Garnet snatched it from him to destroy it after he took a picture of the Evil Scroll.
- However, in "House Guest" a new phone can be seen on his nightstand.
- In "Together Breakfast" Steven seems to be surprisingly strong, as he was the only one to defeat the Together Breakfast in it's mutated state by himself without the other Crystal Gems. He also displays a large amount of strength in "Arcade Mania" when he rips off the top of the Meat Beat Mania arcade game to break Garnet from her trance.
- This could possibly be because of his shape-shifting abilities acting up in times of need.
- Steven has an ability to grow to whatever age he wants to be, shown in "So Many Birthdays."
- In "So Many Birthdays," his adult version of himself is similar to Rebecca Sugar's Brother, Steven Sugar.
- Steven's outfit closely resembles that of the character Duplica from Pokémon. This includes: a red T-shirt with a big yellow star on the chest and blue jeans that are folded over at the bottom.
- Steven is homeschooled by the gems.
- He is revealed to be the first half-human, half-gem to exist. 
- Steven's shield has appeared two times throughout the series, once in "Gem Glow" and a second time in the episode "Ocean Gem".
- Steven has the ability to bubble gems and items, as shown in "Monster Buddies"
- It was revealed in "Monster Buddies" that Steven keeps a framed picture of Pearl on the side of his fridge.
- He is the character who cried the most in the series so far, 7 times.
- In "An Indirect Kiss" Steven is revealed to have healing spit, so far it can heal the following:
- If Steven's spit comes in contact with people, people who wear glasses no longer need them to see.
- Steven can also heal broken gems.
- It is also shown that he can heal broken bones.
- Steven is the only character to appear in every episode so far.
- It's shown in the episode Island Adventure that Steven doesn't really know the concept of privacy.
Click here to view the gallery.
| || || || |
|Characters in Steven Universe|