What if somehow you get hurt? What do I do? I don't want that for you...
"Steven Quartz Universe" is the main protagonist of Steven Universe. He is the son of Greg Universe and Rose Quartz, and the only male member of the Crystal Gems. A half-human, half-Gem as a result of his parentage, Steven is an extraordinary unique being with latent powers beyond that of both normal humans and Gems. Guided and aided by the Crystal Gems, Steven's destiny is to protect humanity as his late mother did before him.
Steven is relatively short with a thick build. He has curly dark brown hair and black pupils. He wears a reddish-pink T-shirt with a yellow star on it. He also wears blue jeans and reddish-pink sandals. His gem, a rose quartz which he inherited from his mother, is where his belly button should be.
- In "Frybo," "Coach Steven" and "Steven the Sword Fighter," he wore a medium-pink jacket over his normal outfit.
- In "Arcade Mania," "Monster Buddies" and "Winter Forecast," he used a down jacket colored pale peach. However it was white in the last latter episode.
- In the episode "Beach Party," he wore a yellow-outlined tank top version of his shirt, along with denim shorts.
- In the episode "Watermelon Steven," he wore a straw hat with a dark pink ascot and light-blue overalls.
- In the episode "Coach Steven," he wore a casual pink tank top with reddish-brown shorts, and a headband horizontally colored periwinkle, white and red.
- Steven's pajamas are show to be a blue shirt with three buttons, and light blue trousers.
Steven has a fun and musical personality, he's friendly with almost everyone in beach city, though, he has a slight tendency to break out into song, occasionally playing on his ukulele. He enjoys adventuring and wants to save the world with his fellow Crystal Gems, Garnet, Amethyst, and Pearl, even though he doesn't have control over his gem yet. He looks up to them like family, and takes their advice to heart. Steven has a very unique way of handling problems, although he often makes them worse before solving them. But what he lacks in experience and magical ability he makes up for with his resourcefulness, optimism, and confidence.
However, despite his cheerful attitude, Steven has his limits. His cheerful demeanor is balanced with his naivety, and general social unawareness. Due to his isolated upbringing by the Gems, and while he often is prepared for an adventure, he has a habit of biting off more than he can chew, requiring the Gems to intervene.
Being half-human and half-Gem, it is unknown if he possesses all the abilities of a pure Gem, such as retreating to their gemstone when taking fatal damage. Steven has shown the abilities of a regular Gem such as to shape shift, summon his weapon (a shield), but has little control of them due to him not having enough training. He can also warp using the warp pads, and bubble objects and gemstones to be teleported to the temple with seemingly full control.
Unique AbilitiesDue to having his mother's gemstone, he shares most of his unique abilities with her.
- Augmented Weapon Summoning: Steven has, on multiple occasions, summoned his shield in the form of a incredibly durable bubble which encases Steven and whoever he's protecting.
- Age Manipulation: In the episode "So Many Birthdays", Steven discovers he can manipulate his age through his state of mind and maturity. Steven's biological age depends solely on how old he thinks he is.
- Healing: (currently inactive): Steven's saliva has the power to heal the injuries of both humans and Gems. Steven's healing capabilities have not yet been seen to the full extent of his power, but he is shown to be capable of healing the cracked gemstones as seen when he healed Lapis Lazuli in "Ocean Gem." He can also heal common human injuries, seen when he healed Connie's eyesight in "An Indirect Kiss" and Greg's broken leg in "House Guest".
- Phytokinesis: In "Watermelon Steven," Steven discovers he has the ability to grow sentient flora in the form of watermelons shaped like himself. They acted as his bodyguards, but they weren't directly under his control and the Watermelon Stevens would ignore his orders and attacked whoever they thought was threatening him, suggesting that he doesn't have full mastery over this ability thus far.
Rose is Steven's mother, although he never met Rose face to face since she gave up her physical form to create him, and he's grown up only hearing about her. Steven seems to have mixed feelings about Rose. In "An Indirect Kiss," he states "I don't know how to feel about you, but everyone else does. I wish I could have met you, then this place would make me sad, and I could cry healing tears, like you." Although he does jump to her defense in "Lars and the Cool Kids" when Lars called her weird, Steven snaps at him, ending his outburst with "she saw beauty in everything...even in jerks like you!" He also seemed very touched upon finding the video she left for him in "Lion 3: Straight to Video."
Greg Universe is Steven's father. As seen in "Laser Light Cannon" and "Cat Fingers," they share a strong father-to-son bond and Greg is always emotionally supportive. Although Greg does not live with Steven, they often hang out. In "House Guest," it is shown that Steven and his father used to lived together, but as Steven grew older he moved in with the Crystal Gems in order for them to teach him about "magical Gem stuff" - something which his father could not.
Pearl acts more motherly to Steven than the other Crystal Gems do, as whenever he's in a possibly dangerous situation, she usually panics and acts first to protect him. Likewise, Steven seems to think of Pearl as a motherly figure as well, nearly crying at her defeat in "Steven the Sword Fighter" and keeping a framed photo of her in "Monster Buddies."
Amethyst acts like an older sister to Steven, often joking around with him and joining him in his misadventures. Pearl will often scold Amethyst for being too reckless with Steven when she misleads him such as in "Cat Fingers," which Amethyst admits is probably accurate. Steven seems to acknowledge Amethyst's reckless nature, calling her out when she didn't help him in "Joking Victim" and worrying for her safety in "An Indirect Kiss."
Garnet acts more like a mentor towards Steven, always encouraging him and setting a good example. It is shown that Steven respects her as he always listens whenever she speaks. Steven usually asks Garnet for permission before anyone else, as shown in "Monster Buddies."
Sadie is one of Steven's friends who, unlike her co-worker Lars, is friendly, considerate and affectionate towards Steven. In "Joking Victim," Steven helps Sadie by working at the Big Donut. Steven also helps Sadie to strengthen her relationship with Lars in "Island Adventure."
Connie is one of Steven's friends whom he saved in "Bubble Buddies" from a falling rock by using his gem to summon his bubble. He is initially very awkward and nervous to talk with her, but their friendship has grown and presently, they appear to be close friends. In "Lion 2:The Movie," they are shown casually hanging out. Steven appears to have a crush on Connie, though it has not been discussed in the show. In "An Indirect Kiss," Steven and Connie almost kissed, as referred to by the title. He also genuinely cares about Connie's safety and well being as seen in "Winter Forecast," as well as in "Full Disclosure." In "Open Book" Steven is heavily implied to have a crush on Connie, and was afraid to tell her his opinion about the ending of the final Unfamiliar Familiar book because he was afraid of her disliking him for it.
Lion is Steven's "pet" lion whom he discovers in "Steven's Lion" while the Crystal Gems went to retrieve the desert glass. He has some sort of connection with Steven and his gem as he is the only one who can go into Lion's pocket dimension and put stuff inside there aside from Rose Quartz. Lion, most of the time, does whatever he wants and often ignores or disobeys Steven. Lion is also seen to be caring towards Steven as well as being aware of Steven's needs, like when Lion kept lying on Steven's head to show Steven, his pocket dimension where it contained, among other things, a video left by Rose Quartz for Steven, after he said he wanted to more about her in "Lion 3: Straight to Video."
Onion is Steven's friend whom he talks to in the episode "Bubble Buddies." Steven addresses Onion as if they're good friends. In "Onion Trade," Steven gives his favorite action figure to him as a gift, despite the fact that Onion had originally stolen it. When they're not together, Steven expresses some confusion as to who and what Onion is, being unsure if he's even human in "Marble Madness"
Lars appears to be annoyed by Steven. He's always making fun of him, although this may only be because he is jealous of Steven for being a Crystal Gem. Steven may be ignorant of this however, because in "Bubble Buddies," he refers to Lars as his 'BFF.' However, in "Lars and the Cool Kids," he became angry with Lars and called him a jerk for insulting his mother. As of "Lars and the Cool Kids", Lars and Steven find a way to connect and Lars is seemingly on better terms with Steven. In some ways, Steven looks up to Lars, and was excited at the chance of being able to receive a high-five from him in "Future Vision." However, Steven doesn't hesitate to call out Lars on his bad behavior at times.
Steven became friends with her in "Mirror Gem" when he was given the mirror by Pearl, which turned out to not work. Then a little while later, Lapis began to talk to Steven and they became good friends. She wanted to get out of the mirror and told Steven how to do so. After she was free, she warns Steven not to trust the Crystal Gems and walks away. In "Ocean Gem", Steven healed Lapis' gem crack, which in result, gave her eyes and wings back. She thanks Steven before departing back to her home planet. In "The Message," Steven defends her, and sings a song all about her and the previous events. Later, Lapis gives Steven a message, she addresses him specifically. In "Jail Break," Lapis fuses with Jasper as a way to save Steven.
- Steven's name and appearance is based on Rebecca Sugar's brother, Steven Sugar, who is a background artist for the show.
- He is the first and only male Gem so far in the series.
- Steven is the only Gem that is not named after his gem, most likely because he is half human or because his gem, a rose quartz, was his mother's gem and name.
- Steven's middle name however (Quartz), represents Rose Quartz.
- In the transition from the pilot to the series, Steven underwent only one significant change, with it being the removal of the gold ring around his gem.
- Steven is home-schooled by the Gems.
- Steven is the first half-human, half-Gem to exist.
- Steven is the only Crystal Gem that doesn't have a color scheme that matches his gem.
- This could be because he is part human, or he inherited his mother's skin.
- His skin tone is; however, a lighter pink tone than nearly every other pink-skinned characters in the show.
- The rose quartz on Steven is faceted with a pentagonal shape.
- Steven, along with Sugilite and Jasper, is the only Gem whose gemstone is not a birthstone.
- In "Together Breakfast," he had a phone similar to an iPhone, but Garnet snatched it from him to destroy it after he took a picture of the Evil Scroll.
- However, in "House Guest" a new phone can be seen on his nightstand.
- In "Together Breakfast," Steven seems to be surprisingly strong, as he was the only one to defeat the Together Breakfast in its mutated state by himself without the other Crystal Gems. He also displays a large amount of strength in "Arcade Mania" when he rips off the top of the Meat Beat Mania arcade game to break Garnet from her trance. He displays an even further amount of strength in "The Return" when he smashes Greg's van's dashboard with a single punch, apparently hard enough to both shatter it and activate the airbags.
- Surprisingly strong for a human, yes, but not for a Gem. Their human constructs are much stronger than their physical appearance would imply. It is not surprising Steven would have some form of "super strength" being a Half-Gem.
- In "So Many Birthdays," his adult version of himself is similar to Rebecca Sugar's brother, Steven Sugar.
- On the topic of age, Steven's exact age has not yet been confirmed.
- Steven's shield has appeared three times throughout the series: once in "Gem Glow," a second time in "Ocean Gem," and a third time in "The Return."
- It was revealed in "Monster Buddies" that Steven keeps a framed picture of Pearl on the side of his fridge. However, it was destroyed by the Centipeetle Mother.
- He is the character who cried more times than any other character in the series.
- Steven is the only character to appear in every episode so far.
- It's shown in the episode "Island Adventure" that Steven doesn't really understand the concept of privacy and personal space.
- In "Warp Tour," Steven is revealed to be allergic to pollen.
- In "Alone Together," Steven and Connie fuse together to form Stevonnie.
- Based on Pearl's reaction, it is still unknown if Steven can fuse with "full" Gems (as he is a Half-Gem).
- In "The Test," it is revealed that Steven's healing powers have stopped working. It is currently unknown if they can be reactivated or not. It is also unknown why they stopped working but it appears to be tied in Steven's confidence in his own abilities as when Greg pretended it didn't work on his broken leg, it seemingly stopped working for real.
- In "House Guest," a Sailor Moon manga book can be seen on Steven's nightstand.
- Steven's voice noticeably matures throughout the series, especially noticeable when compared from the earliest episodes to the latest.
- He is progressively getting better at handling his shield.
- He is able to summon his bubble shield when he needs to now.
- He is able to adjust the size of his shield, depending on the incoming threat and the party he's trying to protect.
- Steven is the only known person in town capable of calling political favors from Mayor Bill Dewey.
- He doesn't seem to be affected with the Homeworld technology weapons, such as the Gem Destabilizer, or their ship's jails as is shown in "Jail Break," probably because he is only a half-gem, half-human.
- In "Joy Ride", Steven thinks that the gems blame him for Rose's death.
- It's stated by Ian Jones-Quartey that Rose shape-shifted a womb for Steven to be born from.
Click here to view the gallery.
|Characters in Steven Universe|
Unfused: Jasper • Lapis Lazuli • Peridot • Yellow Diamond
Corrupt: Big Bird • Centipeetles • Centipeetle Mother • Earth Beetle • Electric Skulls • Frybo • Gem Cave Creature • Giant Pufferfish • Heaven Beetle • Ice Monster • Invisible Gem Monster • Lighthouse Gem Monster • Worm Monster
|Minor Characters|| |
Humans: Mayor Bill Dewey • Buck Dewey • Greg's Uncle • Greg's Aunt • Kevin • Harold Smiley • Jamie • Jenny Pizza • Kiki • Kofi • Mr. Fryman • Mr. Maheswaran • Dr. Maheswaran • Nanafua • Peedee Fryman • Ronaldo Fryman • Sour Cream • Sadie's Mother • Steven Jr. • Suitcase Sam • Yellowtail • Onion
Other: Unnamed Fish • Watermelon Stevens • Baby Melon
Fictional: Dogcopter • Ace • Ace's Father • Foxman • Hopper • Hoppy • Ringo
Rose's Room Creations: • Tiny Floating Whale • Cloud Connie