|This article is about the character. You may be looking for the soundtrack.|
Don't bother putting your socks back on, 'cause I'm about to knock 'em off again!
|—"Know Your Fusion"|
Amethyst tries to act like she doesn’t care what everyone thinks, but she really cares, she’s very nervous all of the time. But with Steven’s support, that nervousness is gone, and that’s Smoky!
As a fusion, Smoky Quartz adopts Steven and Amethyst's personalities. In this case, Smoky Quartz has a proud, carefree, excited, and happy-go-lucky attitude. They also have a humorous and relaxed side to their personality with a tendency to make jokes, even in the heat of battle. They restored some confidence to Amethyst, who had become depressed and unmotivated after being poofed at the hands of Jasper. Their humor can also be rather self-depreciating at times.
They are extremely confident in battle because of their cooperators' trust in one another, and as a result, they are a moderately stable fusion. However, they can defuse when under stress or intense emotion, as shown upon witnessing the beginning of Jasper's corruption.
However, as shown in "Know Your Fusion", Smoky also has both of Steven and Amethyst's self-doubts added together. In Sardonyx's attempt to find a more "serious" aspect to their fighting style outside of their yo-yo weapon, Smoky was shown to lose more and more self-confidence in themself the more they failed at every test thrown at them. They make statements such as "zero plus zero equals zero" and "two wrongs don't make a right. I guess I'm living proof that that's true," and even going so far as to call themself "one big super-wrong, good-for-nothing dud with a yo-yo."
Smoky Quartz has three arms (one right arm and two left arms that stem from the same elbow joint similar to Sugilite's), a dark mauve complexion, bushy eyebrows, and six peach freckles on their cheeks and shoulders. Their hair is a shorter version of Amethyst's. However, the color closely resembles Steven's. Their hair often covers their left eye. They are slightly taller than Jasper and have a large, wide build which stems from both Steven and Amethyst. They have plump lips, a small nose, and a round face.
Like Stevonnie, their outfit is a combination of the individual outfits of their cooperators. In their case, Smoky Quartz has a pale mauve version of Amethyst's tank top under an off-shoulder tank top that resembles Steven's shirt, along with Steven's pants, and Amethyst's dark mauve boots and leggings. Their gemstones are located on their chest and navel.
In "Earthlings", as Amethyst struggles with her fight against Jasper in the Beta Kindergarten, she comes to the disheartening realization that she will never be as strong as her opponent. She expresses her despair to Steven, who reminds her that although they are “both not like anybody,” they at least have each other. Amethyst is comforted by Steven’s words, and the two embrace, fusing into Smoky Quartz for the first time. The new fusion engages Jasper, combining their yo-yo and agility to successfully combat the Homeworld Gem. Refusing to be defeated by another fusion, Jasper rushes over to one of her imprisoned Corrupted Gems and fuses with her. The corrupted fusion attempts to attack Smoky, who spins their yo-yo, pushing her back with the powerful winds. The corrupted fusion holds her ground and continues to advance. In response, Smoky pulls out two more yo-yos, and by spinning all three, creates a tornado that lifts the corrupted fusion into the air where she un-fuses. Jasper attempts to fuse again with the Gem monster, telling her that they can defeat Smoky if they stay together. The tornado subsides and the two fall to the ground. Smoky celebrates their victory as the Gem monster runs away. They suddenly stop, noticing the onset of Jasper’s corruption. Feeling disconcerted, the fusion subsequently un-fuses.
In "Know Your Fusion", Steven and Amethyst fuse into Smoky Quartz to show Garnet and Pearl. The two Crystal Gems are surprised and overjoyed. As Smoky begins to demonstrate their yo-yo tricks, destroying parts of the house in the process, Garnet and Pearl fuse into Sardonyx. She is excited to meet Smoky, and suggests that they need a bigger "stage" to get to know each other. She takes them to her room in the Crystal Temple, where she hosts her show, Sardonyx Tonight. At the start of the show, Sardonyx asks Smoky questions, hoping to learn more about them and their abilities. Smoky replies that they "ain’t exactly a deck of cards," not having much to talk about other than their yo-yo. Sardonyx begins the next segment of her show during which she has Smoky perform a series of tests to demonstrate their abilities. Smoky is compared to the other fusions in their tests involving archery, strength, and fire breathing. Smoky performs poorly on each one, and feeling incompetent, begins to disparage themself. Sardonyx becomes dismayed realizing that she had ruined Smoky’s plan to impress Garnet and Pearl, and un-fuses. Without Sardonyx, the room begins to fall apart. Smoky acts quickly, using their yo-yo to grapple out of the room while carrying Garnet and Pearl. As they spill back into the Beach House, Smoky un-fuses.
- Yo-yo Proficiency: Smoky Quartz can transform Steven's shield and Amethyst's whip into a multicolored crystalline yo-yo. They can use this to swing from and to different platforms as well as to attack opponents and wrap it around objects. Smoky Quartz can use up to three yo-yos at once (one for each arm). It is a surprisingly versatile weapon, being a useful close range weapon and capable of extending over long distances for ranged attacks.
- Yo-yo Spin: Smoky Quartz can spin themself rapidly, causing their yo-yo to swing very quickly, which can be used as an offensive maneuver.
- Yo-yo Fans: Smoky Quartz is capable of spinning their yo-yo with great speed, creating strong enough winds to push back a heavy-built Gem like Jasper.
- Yo-Yo Whirlwind: When spinning all three, Smoky can generate a tornado capable of lifting the Corrupted Jasper Fusion into the air.
- Yo-yo Grapple: Smoky Quartz can use their yo-yo to grapple to objects or to an exit.
- Speed of Descent Regulation: Smoky Quartz is shown to be able to land softly from a great height. In some scenes, it seems that the yo-yo assists in helping to glide across distances.
- Rapid Spin: Smoky Quartz is shown to be able to spin like a top, using their momentum to knock enemies back before delivering another blow with their yo-yo.
Forget your name; you've got a fight to win!
There has been limited interaction between Peridot and Smoky Quartz, but it is shown that Peridot is very supportive in their fight, attempting to use her ferrokinesis to dislodge a piece of scrap metal to help them defeat Jasper. She also cheers Smoky on and laughs when they hit Jasper with their yo-yo. Peridot also wishes to make a giant yo-yo "meep morp" in their honor.
Is fusion the only trick you Crystal Gems know?!
Due to her dislike of fighting fusions, Jasper is particularly exasperated by Smoky Quartz. Upon first seeing them, Jasper commented that fusion was the only tactic the Crystal Gems had. After realizing she could not win against them, she exclaimed that she would not lose against yet another fusion. Ironically, this incited her to fuse with a Corrupted Gem, which ultimately leads to her own corruption.
Oh, what a pleasure it is to meet you! You've made quite the impression already!
|—Sardonyx, "Know Your Fusion"|
When Steven and Amethyst fuse to show Garnet and Pearl, they end up fusing into Sardonyx. Sardonyx leads them into a show in a room, made only when Sardonyx exists. In this show, Sardonyx tries to find something other than the yo-yo that Smoky Quartz can utilize, but unbeknownst to her, this causes Smoky to become nervous and upset. Once Smoky starts to insult themself harshly after failing the third test, Sardonyx realizes what she has done and de-fuses.
Don't bother putting your socks back on, 'cause I'm about to knock 'em off again!
|—Smoky Quartz, "Know Your Fusion"|
Garnet and Pearl were both shocked and excited when they first meet Smoky Quartz. After they un-fuse in "Know Your Fusion", they eagerly ask Amethyst and Steven questions about the elements of their fusion they had chosen to demonstrate, such as the attributes of the yo-yo weapon/"toy".
|1. "Super Watermelon Island":||Absent||13. "Kiki's Pizza Delivery Service":||Absent|
|2. "Gem Drill":||Absent||14. "Monster Reunion":||Absent|
|3. "Same Old World":||Absent||15. "Alone at Sea":||Absent|
|4. "Barn Mates":||Absent||16. "Greg the Babysitter":||Absent|
|5. "Hit the Diamond":||Absent||17. "Gem Hunt":||Absent|
|6. "Steven Floats":||Absent||18. "Crack the Whip":||Absent|
|7. "Drop Beat Dad":||Absent||19. "Steven vs. Amethyst":||Absent|
|8. "Mr. Greg":||Absent||20/21. "Bismuth":||Absent|
|9. "Too Short to Ride":||Absent||22. "Beta":||Absent|
|10. "The New Lars":||Absent||23. "Earthlings":||Debut|
|11. "Beach City Drift":||Absent||24. "Back to the Moon":||Absent|
|12. "Restaurant Wars":||Absent||25. "Bubbled":||Absent|
|1. "Kindergarten Kid":||Absent||13. "Gem Heist":||TBA|
|2. "Know Your Fusion":||Appears||14. "The Zoo":||TBA|
|3. "Buddy's Book":||Absent||15. "That Will Be All":||TBA|
|4. "Mindful Education":||Absent|
|5. "Future Boy Zoltron":||Absent|
|6. "Last One Out of Beach City":||Absent|
|7. "Onion Gang":||Absent|
|8/9. "Gem Harvest":||Absent|
|10. "Three Gems and a Baby":||Absent|
|11. "Steven's Dream":||TBA|
|12. "Adventures in Light Distortion":||TBA|
- Their voice actress, Natasha Lyonne, was revealed in the credits roll of "Restaurant Wars".
- Smoky Quartz is Steven's first fusion with a Gem.
- Smoky Quartz is the first known fusion between two Quartz Gems.
- Smoky Quartz is also the first confirmed Crystal Gem fusion between two of the same type of Gem.
- Smoky Quartz is the first fusion seen on the show that has three arms, and the first Gem to have an odd number of arms.
- Before Smoky Quartz was formed, a smoke mushroom cloud appeared, similar to Sugilite's Dragon and Sardonyx's Stage Curtain.
- When Steven and Amethyst defuse, they phase apart. Amethyst's form converts to light like a pure Gem and Steven retains his organic form and simply splits away from Amethyst. Their voices also overlap.
- Smoky Quartz's yo-yo is the first summoned weapon to not be medieval themed.
- Smoky Quartz's yo-yo tricks were based on yo-yo master, Tom Black's tricks from Cirque du Soleil.
- Smoky quartz has the repeating compound SiO2.
- Smoky quartz ranges in color from light grayish-brown to deep black.
- This color results from partial aluminum substitution within the crystal lattice, combined with long-term exposure to natural radionuclides (most commonly potassium-40). This essentially results in an electron re-balancing, that causes the brown coloration.
- Smoky quartz can be opaque, but is almost always transparent to translucent, even when in its darkest color shade.
- Smoky quartz is a very common gemstone, with not much importance in history. Only in very recent times has it become popular.
- Smoky quartz is considered an efficient gemstone for cleansing and healing. It is believed to ward off negativity.
- Smoky quartz is located all throughout the world. Major deposits have been found in Brazil, Madagascar, Mozambique, Australia, Switzerland, Scotland, and the United States of America.
|Amethyst's gemstone on Smoky Quartz features a hexagonal facet. It is a tetradecahedron, specifically a truncated hexagonal dipyramid. It is located on Smoky's chest.|
|Steven's gemstone on Smoky Quartz features a pentagonal facet. It is a dodecahedron, specifically a truncated pentagonal dipyramid. It is located on Smoky's stomach.|