|This article is about the character. You may be looking for the soundtrack.|
I think a Rose Quartz and an Amethyst make a... Smoky Quartz!
Smoky Quartz has three arms; one right arm and one left arm with two fore-arms stemming from the elbow, a dark mauve complexion, dark bushy eyebrows, and peach freckles on their cheeks and shoulders. Their hair is similar in shape to Amethyst's, reaching down to their shoulders; the dark brown coloration and slight curl being derived from Steven. Their hair often obscures their left eye. They are slightly taller than Jasper and have a large, wide build which stems from both Steven and Amethyst's chubby body structure. They have plump lips, a small nose, and a round face.
Like Stevonnie, their outfit is a combination of the individual outfits of their components. In their case, Smoky Quartz has a pale mauve version of Amethyst's tank top with a jagged bottom peeking out from underneath Steven's red t-shirt with a yellow star, which is now off-shoulder and stretched out, both of which are now midriffs, along with Steven's jeans, which now resemble jean shorts, and Amethyst's dark mauve boots and black leggings with mauve stars on the knees. Their gemstones are located on their chest and navel.
Amethyst tries to act like she doesn't care what everyone thinks, but she really cares, she's very nervous all of the time. But with Steven's support, that nervousness is gone, and that's Smoky!
They are extremely confident in battle because of their cooperators' trust in one another, and as a result, they are a moderately stable fusion. However, like most fusions, they can defuse when under stress or intense emotion, as shown upon witnessing the beginning of Jasper's Corruption.
However, as shown in "Know Your Fusion", Smoky also has both of Steven and Amethyst's self-doubts added together. During Sardonyx's attempt to find a more "serious" aspect to their fighting style outside of their yo-yo weapon, Smoky was shown to lose more and more self-confidence in themself as they failed at every test thrown at them. They make statements such as "zero plus zero equals zero" and "two wrongs don't make a right. I guess I'm living proof that's true," even going so far as to call themself "one big super-wrong, good-for-nothing dud with a yo-yo."
As Amethyst struggles with her fight against Jasper in the Beta Kindergarten, she comes to the disheartening realization that she will never be as strong as her opponent. She expresses her despair to Steven, who reminds her that although they are "both not like anybody," they at least have each other. Amethyst is comforted by Steven's words, and the two embrace, fusing into Smoky Quartz for the first time. The new fusion engages Jasper, combining their yo-yo and agility to successfully combat the Homeworld Gem. Refusing to be defeated by another fusion, Jasper rushes over to one of her imprisoned Corrupted Gems and fuses with her. The Corrupted fusion attempts to attack Smoky, who spins their yo-yo, pushing her back with the powerful winds. The corrupted fusion holds her ground and continues to advance. In response, Smoky pulls out two more yo-yos, and by spinning all three, creates a tornado that lifts the corrupted fusion into the air where she unfuses. Jasper attempts to fuse again with the Gem Monster, telling her that they can defeat Smoky if they stay together. The tornado subsides and the two fall to the ground. Smoky celebrates their victory as the Gem Monster runs away. They suddenly stop, noticing the onset of Jasper's corruption. Feeling disconcerted, the fusion subsequently unfuses.
Steven and Amethyst fuse into Smoky Quartz to show Garnet and Pearl. The two Crystal Gems are surprised and overjoyed. As Smoky begins to demonstrate their yo-yo tricks, destroying parts of the House in the process, Garnet and Pearl fuse into Sardonyx. She is excited to meet Smoky, and suggests that they need a bigger "stage" to get to know each other. She takes them to her room in the Crystal Temple, where she hosts her show, Sardonyx Tonight. At the start of the show, Sardonyx asks Smoky questions, hoping to learn more about them and their abilities. Smoky replies that they "ain't exactly a deck of cards," not having much to talk about other than their yo-yo. Sardonyx begins the next segment of her show during which she has Smoky perform a series of tests to demonstrate their abilities. Smoky is compared to the other fusions in their tests involving archery, strength, and fire breathing. Smoky performs poorly on each one, and feeling incompetent, begins to disparage themself. Sardonyx becomes dismayed realizing that she had ruined Smoky's plan to impress Garnet and Pearl, and unfuses. Without Sardonyx, the room begins to fall apart. Smoky acts quickly, using their yo-yo to grapple out of the room while carrying Garnet and Pearl. As they spill back into the Beach House, Smoky unfuses. Their heroics, however, do not go unacknowledged, as Garnet and Pearl eagerly praise the fusion to their split components and begin asking about their earlier fight with Jasper.
In the Prime Kindergarten, after Peridot accidentally provokes the Flower Monster and it pulls her into its mouth, Steven and Amethyst fuse into Smoky Quartz, who defeats the monster and frees Peridot.
- Yo-yo Proficiency: Smoky Quartz can transform Steven's shield and Amethyst's whip into a multi-colored crystalline yo-yo. They can use this to swing from and to different platforms as well as to attack opponents and wrap it around objects. Smoky Quartz can use up to three yo-yos at once (one for each arm). It is a surprisingly versatile weapon, being a useful close range weapon and capable of extending over long distances for ranged attacks.
- Yo-yo Spin: Smoky Quartz can spin themself rapidly, causing their yo-yo to swing very quickly, which can be used as an offensive maneuver.
- Yo-yo Fans: Smoky Quartz is capable of spinning their yo-yo(s) with great speed, creating strong enough winds to push back a heavy-built Gem like Jasper.
- Yo-Yo Whirlwind: When spinning all three of their yo-yos, Smoky can generate a tornado capable of lifting large gems such as the Corrupted Jasper Fusion into the air.
- Yo-yo Grapple: Smoky can use their yo-yo to grapple to objects or to an exit, as shown in "Know Your Fusion".
- Yo-yo Squeeze: Much like Amethyst with her whip, Smoky can wrap their yo-yo around an object, then pull on the yo-yo to tighten its string until it damages the object, as shown in "Back to the Kindergarten".
- Speed of Descent Regulation: Smoky Quartz is shown to be able to land softly from a great height. In some scenes, it seems that the yo-yo assists in helping to glide across distances.
- Rapid Spin: Smoky Quartz is shown to be able to spin like a top, using their momentum to knock enemies back before delivering another blow with their yo-yo.
Forget your name; you've got a fight to win!
Is fusion the only trick you Crystal Gems know?!
Due to her dislike of fighting fusions, Jasper is particularly exasperated by Smoky Quartz. Upon first seeing them, Jasper commented that fusion was the only tactic the Crystal Gems had. After realizing she could not win against them, she exclaimed that she would not lose against yet another fusion. Ironically, this incited her to fuse with a Corrupted Gem, which ultimately leads to her own corruption. Seeing Jasper's infection upsets Smoky enough to defuse.
Oh, what a pleasure it is to meet you! You've made quite the impression already!
|—Sardonyx, "Know Your Fusion"|
When Steven and Amethyst fuse to show Garnet and Pearl the latter end up fusing into Sardonyx. Sardonyx leads them into a show in a room, made only when Sardonyx exists. In this show, Sardonyx tries to find something other than the yo-yo that Smoky Quartz can utilize, but unbeknownst to her, this causes Smoky to become nervous and upset. Once Smoky starts to insult themself harshly after failing the third test, Sardonyx realizes what she has done and de-fuses.
Don't bother putting your socks back on, 'cause I'm about to knock 'em off again!
|—Smoky Quartz, "Know Your Fusion"|
|1. "Super Watermelon Island":||Absent||13. "Kiki's Pizza Delivery Service":||Absent|
|2. "Gem Drill":||Absent||14. "Monster Reunion":||Absent|
|3. "Same Old World":||Absent||15. "Alone at Sea":||Absent|
|4. "Barn Mates":||Absent||16. "Greg the Babysitter":||Absent|
|5. "Hit the Diamond":||Absent||17. "Gem Hunt":||Absent|
|6. "Steven Floats":||Absent||18. "Crack the Whip":||Absent|
|7. "Drop Beat Dad":||Absent||19. "Steven vs. Amethyst":||Absent|
|8. "Mr. Greg":||Absent||20/21. "Bismuth":||Absent|
|9. "Too Short to Ride":||Absent||22. "Beta":||Absent|
|10. "The New Lars":||Absent||23. "Earthlings":||Debut|
|11. "Beach City Drift":||Absent||24. "Back to the Moon":||Absent|
|12. "Restaurant Wars":||Absent||25. "Bubbled":||Absent|
|1. "Kindergarten Kid":||Absent||14. "The Zoo":||Absent|
|2. "Know Your Fusion":||Appears||15. "That Will Be All":||Absent|
|3. "Buddy's Book":||Absent||16. "The New Crystal Gems":||Absent|
|4. "Mindful Education":||Absent||17. "Storm in the Room":||Absent|
|5. "Future Boy Zoltron":||Absent||18. "Rocknaldo":||Absent|
|6. "Last One Out of Beach City":||Absent||19. "Tiger Philanthropist":||Absent|
|7. "Onion Gang":||Absent||20. "Room for Ruby":||Absent|
|8/9. "Gem Harvest":||Absent||21. Lion 4: Alternate Ending":||Absent|
|10. "Three Gems and a Baby":||Absent||22. "Doug Out":||Absent|
|11. "Steven's Dream":||Absent||23. "The Good Lars":||Absent|
|12. "Adventures in Light Distortion":||Absent||24. "Are You My Dad?":||Absent|
|13. "Gem Heist":||Absent||25. "I Am My Mom":||Absent|
|1. "Stuck Together":||Absent||14. "The Big Show":||Absent|
|2. "The Trial":||Absent||15. "Pool Hopping":||Absent|
|3. "Off Colors":||Absent||16. "Letters to Lars":||Absent|
|4. "Lars' Head":||Absent||17. "Can't Go Back":||Absent|
|5. "Dewey Wins":||Absent||18. "A Single Pale Rose":||Absent|
|7. "Raising the Barn":||Absent|
|8. "Back to the Kindergarten":||Non-speaking|
|9. "Sadie Killer":||Absent|
|10. "Kevin Party":||Absent|
|11. "Lars of the Stars":||Absent|
|12. "Jungle Moon":||Absent|
|13. "Your Mother and Mine":||Absent|
- Their voice actress, Natasha Lyonne, was revealed in the credits roll of "Restaurant Wars".
- Smoky Quartz is Steven's first fusion with a Gem.
- Smoky Quartz is the first fusion seen on the show that has three arms, and the first Gem seen to have an odd number of arms.
- Smoky Quartz also has the fewest number of arms out of all Amethyst's fusions to date.
- As Smoky Quartz was formed, a smoke mushroom cloud appeared, similar to Sugilite's dragon and Sardonyx's stage curtain.
- When Steven and Amethyst de-fuse, they phase apart. Amethyst's form converts to light, while Steven retains his organic form and simply splits away from Amethyst. Their voices also overlap.
- Smoky Quartz's yo-yo is the first summoned weapon to not be medieval themed.
- Smoky Quartz's yo-yo tricks were based on yo-yo master Tom Black's tricks from Cirque du Soleil.
- It is implied in "Know Your Fusion" that Rose and Amethyst never fused. However, this may not be the case as Steven believed that Amethyst would already know the name of their newly formed fusion.
- Smoky Quartz is the only fusion involving Amethyst that doesn't have long hair.
- However, Smoky's hair is wild and messy, like Sugilite and Alexandrite.
- Michaela Dietz points out that Smoky Quartz's first appearance was born out of a low point for Steven and Amethyst. They bonded over both not being good enough–being the worst. So Smoky represented them reaching for each other's help, and being willing to do that when they need to.
- Smoky Quartz is the third fusion involving a Diamond shown in the series. The first one was Rainbow Quartz and the second was Stevonnie.
- Smoky quartz has the repeating compound SiO2.
- Smoky quartz ranges in color from light grayish-brown to deep black.
- This color results from partial aluminum substitution within the crystal lattice, combined with long-term exposure to natural radionuclides (most commonly potassium-40). This essentially results in an electron re-balancing, that causes the brown coloration.
- Smoky quartz can be opaque, but is almost always transparent to translucent, even when in its darkest color shade.
- Smoky quartz is a very common gemstone, with not much importance in history. Only in very recent times has it become popular.
- Smoky quartz is considered an efficient gemstone for cleansing and healing. It is believed to ward off negativity.
- Smoky quartz is located all throughout the world. Major deposits have been found in Brazil, Madagascar, Mozambique, Australia, Switzerland, Scotland, and the United States of America.
| Amethyst's gemstone on Smoky Quartz features a hexagonal facet. It is a tetradecahedron, specifically a truncated hexagonal dipyramid. It is located on Smoky's chest.
|Steven's gemstone on Smoky Quartz features a pentagonal facet. It is a dodecahedron, specifically a truncated pentagonal dipyramid. It is located on Smoky's stomach.|