|This article is about the Homeworld Gem. You may be looking for another Ruby.|
What a lovely planet!
|—"Hit the Diamond"|
Ruby, nicknamed Navy by Steven, is a Homeworld Gem who made her debut in "Hit the Diamond". She and the other Ruby troops were sent to Earth by Yellow Diamond to locate Jasper. She is currently floating in space after Steven opened the airlock on the Moon Base.
Her gemstone is where the navel of a human would be, hence her name. Her outfit features a backless, red shawl-like top on her torso that opens around her solar plexus, and has a yellow diamond on the collar. She has more of a cherry complexion.
She is part of the Ruby troops sent by Yellow Diamond and appears to be way more gleeful and sensual than the other Rubies of the troop. She is soft-spoken, amused by the Earth's details, expresses constant satisfaction, and dramatic in her mannerisms. She is also very flustered when put on the spot, to the point of nearly breaking down into tears.
Navy arrives one earth with the other Rubies prepared to search for Jasper after arriving on Earth. They notice a nearby barn and decide to search it. Steven is able to fool them, however, convincing them that they need to win a game of baseball before they can check the barn. The Ruby squad and the Crystal Gem Ruby constitute the Ruby team. They face off against the human team: Steven, Pearl, Amethyst, Lapis Lazuli, and Sapphire. Doc plays as the pitcher for the Rubies. They are able to take the lead in the top of the ninth, but ultimately lose when Sapphire hits a two-run home run in the second half of the inning. When Sapphire reaches the home plate, she accidentally fuses with Ruby, revealing themselves to be Gems. The Homeworld Rubies realize they have been deceived and fuse together. Peridot runs out of the barn to help the other Crystal Gems. Upon learning that she was assigned to the Earth mission, the Ruby fusion demands that Peridot tell her where Jasper is. Steven tells her that Jasper is on Neptune, convincing the Rubies and prompting them to defuse. They board their Roaming Eye and head to Neptune.
After searching all of neptune and the other planets in the solar system they return to earth to look for Jasper again. After arriving, the Rubies are imprisoned in water bubbles by Lapis.
The Rubies are released from their water bubbles and questioned by Steven. After failed attempts at questioning Leggy and Army Steven tries to talk to Navy, she tries to explain but suddenly gets to nervous to continue her explanation. The Rubies are tricked again, however, when they take Amethyst for Jasper after she had shape-shifted into the Homeworld Gem. Amethyst convinces the Rubies to allow her to stay on Earth with the pretext of keeping the Crystal Gems prisoner. Using the Roaming Eye, the Rubies and the Crystal Gems travel to the Moon Base after Doc tells Amethyst that she will need to file a report to Yellow Diamond. At the base, they discover the main panel destroyed and the Diamond Communicator missing. After Amethyst gives Eyeball the task of filing the report for her back on Homeworld, the Rubies board the Roaming Eye and prepare to leave. Doc exits the ship to offer Amethyst a ride back to Earth, and sees her in her normal form. With her disguise revealed, Doc orders the other Rubies to assemble and they fuse to fight the Crystal Gems. After Steven opens the airlock, Sardonyx forces the Ruby fusion to un-fuse and the Rubies are sucked out into the vacuum of space.
When the Gems and Steven use the Roaming Eye to rescue Greg from Pink Diamond's Zoo, Navy is seen trying to grab onto Army before the two slam into the windshield of the ship, and then roll off.
Navy possess standard Gem abilities.
- When fused with multiple Rubies, specifically "Doc", "Eyeball", "Army", and "Leggy", they form a larger Ruby.
|1. "Super Watermelon Island":||Absent||13. "Kiki's Pizza Delivery Service":||Absent|
|2. "Gem Drill":||Absent||14. "Monster Reunion":||Absent|
|3. "Same Old World":||Absent||15. "Alone at Sea":||Absent|
|4. "Barn Mates":||Absent||16. "Greg the Babysitter":||Absent|
|5. "Hit the Diamond":||Appears||17. "Gem Hunt":||Absent|
|6. "Steven Floats":||Absent||18. "Crack the Whip":||Absent|
|7. "Drop Beat Dad":||Absent||19. "Steven vs. Amethyst":||Absent|
|8. "Mr. Greg":||Absent||20/21. "Bismuth":||Absent|
|9. "Too Short to Ride":||Absent||22. "Beta":||Absent|
|10. "The New Lars":||Absent||23. "Earthlings":||Non-speaking|
|11. "Beach City Drift":||Absent||24. "Back to the Moon":||Appears|
|12. "Restaurant Wars":||Absent||25. "Bubbled":||Non-speaking|
|1. "Kindergarten Kid":||Absent||13. "Gem Heist":||Absent|
|2. "Know Your Fusion":||Absent||14. "The Zoo":||Absent|
|3. "Buddy's Book":||Absent||15. "That Will Be All":||Absent|
|4. "Mindful Education":||Absent||16. "The New Crystal Gems":||Absent|
|5. "Future Boy Zoltron":||Absent||17. "Storm in the Room":||Absent|
|6. "Last One Out of Beach City":||Absent||18. "Rocknaldo":||TBA|
|7. "Onion Gang":||Absent||19. "Tiger Philanthropist":||TBA|
|8/9. "Gem Harvest":||Absent|
|10. "Three Gems and a Baby":||Absent|
|11. "Steven's Dream":||Absent|
|12. "Adventures in Light Distortion":||Non-speaking|
Navy is a member of a team of Rubies that is sent out to locate Jasper and bring her home. Out of the group, she seems the nicest and her merry way of approaching everything seems to be accepted by them, as they do not call her out to act more serious.
When Ruby is not in the know about what happened "last time", when they did not search a place through and through, she playfully chides her, stating that she is "so forgetful" (even though not knowing her). This could demonstrate her friendliness towards new members of the group, as saying it like this includes Ruby into their past activities. She also approaches the new member of the group, Leggy, excitedly telling her that she thinks Amethyst (who was shape-shifted into Jasper at the time) is "so funny and strong". In Back to the Moon she demonstrates some closeness towards Army by jumping on her head and holding it when they were both excited about seeing "Jasper".
Navy makes up the right arm of their fusion and seems the most stoked, but also the most unserious about fusing: When holding onto her team members, she closes her eyes proudly and strikes a pose.
Navy, like the rest of the Homeworld Gems, expresses some dislike for the Crystal Gems, due to being tricked by them and them being their enemies. However, she is, along with Leggy, the member with the least animosity towards them, as she seems friendly and content about almost everything. When trying to talk in front of them, she gets stage fright, and retreats because she finds the situation embarrassing, seemingly not wanting to disappoint them.
In Back to the Moon, Amethyst shapeshifts into Jasper to fool the Rubies again. Amethyst, both acting like she believes Jasper would and being her usual joker self, makes the Rubies comfortable in her presence. They sympathize with her story of keeping the Crystal Gems prisoner, crying and clapping because of her apparent devotion. They also joke alongside with her when she pokes fun at Pearl for being talkative, kicks some earth rocks to demonstrate her animosity towards the planet or gives the Crystal Gems the silly nickname Crystal Germs.
Navy especially seems smitten with her, as she runs up to Leggy and tells her that she thinks "Jasper is so funny and strong", this being a direct reaction to Amethyst's playful jokes.
- Rubies are composed of a material known as corundum, the second hardest crystal structure after diamond (9,10 on the Mohs Scale of Hardness).
- Since Ruby is a member of the corundum group, it is closely related to sapphire and thus shares some properties with it, such as hardness, composition, and double refraction.
- In its pure form, corundum is colorless.
- Rubies are the most expensive colored stone, going by carat.
- The word "ruby" comes from the Latin 'ruber' meaning red and, like many other gemstones, the ruby's symbolic meaning is heavily dependent on its coloring.
- Natural Ruby is one of four "precious" gemstones (including diamond, emerald, and sapphire), known for its rarity, monetary value, and hardness (second only to diamond).
- Natural Ruby can be distinguished from synthetic ruby by its inclusions; natural ruby typically exhibits inclusions, whereas synthetic ruby tends to be eye clean.
- The color of ruby is its most important quality factor. The most sought after color is a strong pure red to red with a hint of blue, called pigeon's blood.
- The vivid red color of ruby means that it is associated with desire, and it is thought by some to be a stone of love with an aphrodisiac effect.
- When the color of ruby is too light, it is classified as pink sapphire, but the line between pinkish-red ruby and pink sapphire varies by region.
- The ruby is closely associated with aspects such as vitality, life, passion and fire, all of which can be symbolically linked to the color red.
- This shows in Ruby's emotional temperaments and overall emotional/angry attitude as well as her strength.
- It is said that rubies can over-stimulate people who are sensitive or irritable.
- Ruby is the traditional birthstone of those born in July and is also the zodiacal stone for Cancer and Aries.
- Ruby is also used to celebrate the fifteenth and fortieth wedding anniversaries.
- The day assigned to Ruby is Tuesday (hence the Rolling Stones song, "Ruby Tuesday").
- The planet Mars is famously known as "the red planet", due to the high concentration of iron oxide (basically rust) on its surface and rubies, along with all of the aspects mentioned above, have been linked with Mars in one form or another.
- Ruby is the national gemstone of Burma and Thailand.
|Navy has a red stone in the umbilical region of her abdomen. It has a square facet, the front and back are symmetrical, and it has a light pink ring around it, which is usually hidden inside her body, except when she is regenerating. It is a decahedron, specifically a truncated tetragonal dipyramid.|