Isn't it remarkable, Steven? This world is full of so many possibilities. Each living thing has an entirely unique experience; the sights they see, the sounds they hear, the lives they live, are so complicated, and so simple. I can't wait for you to join them.
|—"Lion 3: Straight to Video"|
Rose Quartz was the founder and former leader of the Crystal Gems. Enthralled by the beauty of Earth, Rose led her friends and allies in a rebellion against the Gem Homeworld around 5,500 years before the events of the series, successfully driving the invading Homeworld Gems off the planet and saving the lifeforms inhabiting it. Rose eventually developed a romantic relationship with a human, Greg Universe, before giving up her physical form to give birth to their son, Steven, who inherited her gemstone.
Rose Quartz had very long, and curly pink hair styled in thick, tube-like ringlets. She also had defined lips with a pale pink color, bright-peach skin, and a taller and heavier build than the other Crystal Gems, due to being a quartz. In "Story for Steven", she was shown to be similar in height to Garnet and stood at eight feet. In "Lion 3: Straight to Video", she was shown to have had black eyes. Rose wore a strapless, floor-length, lilac and snow trimmed, tiered white and in some appearances a white and pink dress that had multiple layers which resembled the petals of a rose, and had a star-shaped cutout in the stomach area, specifically where her gemstone was located. She was also barefooted.
A natural leader, Rose Quartz is indicated to have had a caring and loving personality. In "An Indirect Kiss", she was described as feeling great sorrow when her loved ones were hurt, with her empathy leading to her Rebellion and the founding of the Crystal Gems. She was also said to have seen beauty in everything "no matter how gross", showing that she treated everyone as equals. In "The Return", it is revealed by Jasper that Rose Quartz was a masterful tactician, a crucial skill that earned her renown. Despite her role, in "Story for Steven", she was shown to have (at least to the knowledge of the Crystal Gems and Greg) a personality greatly resembling that of her son. Rose showed some ambivalence toward her role in the war; when Greg said he knew little about her, she described this as "a good thing." She was described by Pearl and Greg as someone who "always did what she wanted".
Rose did not fully comprehend the depths of human love in the early stages of her relationship with Greg, seeing that she was very confused when Greg tried to explain the concept of genuine affection. This led Pearl to believe initially that there was not much between Greg and Rose, confronting him with the idea that their "love" was only a phase, and that Greg's novelty would soon wear off. Seeing Rainbow Quartz gave Greg the idea to fuse with Rose, which he'd hoped would help them understand each other. When Greg's fusion attempt failed, Rose started laughing at the thought in a way that he considered to be emotionally distant. When asked to talk like a real person, Rose was quick to admit that her sense of love was a façade, and she had no idea how human love worked. Greg and Rose began to talk, deepening their relationship. After their talk, it can be assumed that she had learned from Greg how to be more 'human', in a sense.
There is another unexplored side of Rose's personality - the legends surrounding her paint her as a ruthlessly efficient warrior and leader of the Crystal Gems who not only commanded her fellow Gems in the rebellion but also participated in the fighting. This side of her personality seems at odds with the all-loving, motherly side of her; reflecting perhaps how the beauty of Earth and its lifeforms greatly affected the stern Gem warrior. It is worth noting that it was her compassion that led to her rebel to protect others, so this behavior is not entirely out of the realm of possibility. In "The Answer", Rose is shown fighting alongside Pearl. She cracks a cocky smile before destroying a Ruby fusion. This would suggest an aggressive side to Rose's personality, which makes sense in light of her Gem type, a quartz.
Rose possessed standard Gem abilities, including shape-shifting, weapon-summoning, fusion, bubbling, regeneration, and superhuman strength/durability. As a Quartz Gem, she was created to be a warrior, albeit one with abilities that focused on defense. Noticeably, she was able to effortlessly defeat a fusion of three Rubies in an instant. She was proficient in both combat as well as military command and strategy, being able to lead the Crystal Gems from the front-lines in a successful rebellion against their Homeworld.
- When fused with Pearl, they form Rainbow Quartz.
The original bearer of the rose quartz gemstone, which is currently in possession of her son/successor, Rose Quartz would have been able to use all the abilities Steven has - and perhaps even more.
- Healing: Rose manifests her ability to heal through her tears. Her tears could heal broken Gems/gemstones, and heal other creatures of general injuries.
- Phytokinesis: Rose had the ability to grow sentient flora that acted as her guardians.
- Shield Proficiency: Rose had the ability to summon her shield to protect loved ones.
- Electrical Interference: In "We Need to Talk", Rose appeared to be able to control Greg's radio based upon her emotion. For instance, when she was shocked, the music stopped. However, like her son, it is unknown if she possesses it or if this was for dramatic effect. Also, in "Maximum Capacity", the television that Greg and Amethyst were watching Lil' Butler on went to static when Steven saw Amethyst shapeshift into Rose herself.
- Speed of Descent Regulation: In "Steven Floats", it is revealed that Rose was able to control the speed of her ascent and descent. She was briefly shown using this power in "Story for Steven".
- Rose's Sword: Rose possessed a great sword that she had used during battle and is currently wielded by Connie Maheswaran as of "Nightmare Hospital".
- Laser Light Cannon: Rose once owned a cannon that shot a very powerful beam that could destroy an object such as the Red Eye that the Crystal Gems could not destroy on their own. The weapon activates by reciting Greg Universe's favorite catchphrase, "If every porkchop were perfect, we would not have hotdogs." It is currently in the possession of the Gems after retrieving it from Greg's storage unit in the episode "Laser Light Cannon".
- Rose's Secret Armory: Rose had an armory full of weapons and armor that she kept secret from the rest of the Crystal Gems, except Pearl. For unknown reasons, Lion knew about the armory and brought Steven and Connie there in "Lion 2: The Movie".
Statues and wall paintings of Rose can occasionally be found in Gem ruins, indicating she was looked upon respectfully by Gems at one point. This may indicate that she had a high status among her race.
The Crystal Gems often reminisce about Rose, and express their gratitude for her actions; Greg often laments over her departure with seemingly similar reasons.
While pregnant with Steven, knowing that she could never meet him personally, Rose made a video with the intent of posthumously expressing her love for him.
At one point about 5,000 years prior to the events of the series, Rose led the Crystal Gems in a rebellious war against the Homeworld Gems on the Gem Battlefield and won. It is stated by Jasper that although they fought on different sides, she respected the military tactics that Rose used during the war.
As seen in "Story for Steven", the Crystal Gems (excluding Rose) did not wear stars on their outfits at the time that Rose met Greg. This implies that the symbol may have been adopted as a sign of respect and grief for Rose after she gave up her physical form.
|1. "Gem Glow":||Absent||14. "Lars and the Cool Kids":||Mentioned|
|2. "Laser Light Cannon":||Pictured & Mentioned||15. "Onion Trade":||Absent|
|3. "Cheeseburger Backpack":||Absent||16. "Steven the Sword Fighter":||Pictured|
|4. "Together Breakfast":||Pictured||17. "Lion 2: The Movie":||Absent|
|5. "Frybo":||Absent||18. "Beach Party":||Absent|
|6. "Cat Fingers":||Absent||19. "Rose's Room":||Mentioned|
|7. "Bubble Buddies":||Mentioned||20. "Coach Steven":||Pictured|
|8. "Serious Steven":||Pictured||21. "Joking Victim":||Absent|
|9. "Tiger Millionaire":||Absent||22. "Steven and the Stevens":||Pictured|
|10. "Steven's Lion":||Absent||23. "Monster Buddies":||Mentioned|
|11. "Arcade Mania":||Absent||24. "An Indirect Kiss":||Mentioned|
|12. "Giant Woman":||Pictured||25. "Mirror Gem":||Absent|
|13. "So Many Birthdays":||Pictured||26. "Ocean Gem":||Absent|
|27. "House Guest||Absent||40. "On the Run":||Mentioned|
|28. "Space Race":||Absent||41. "Horror Club":||Absent|
|29. "Secret Team":||Mentioned||42. "Winter Forecast":||Absent|
|30. "Island Adventure":||Absent||43. "Maximum Capacity":||Mentioned|
|31. "Keep Beach City Weird":||Absent||44. "Marble Madness":||Absent|
|32. "Fusion Cuisine":||Absent||45. "Rose's Scabbard":||Pictured & Mentioned|
|33. "Garnet's Universe":||Pictured||46. "Open Book":||Mentioned|
|34. "Watermelon Steven":||Mentioned||47. "Shirt Club":||Absent|
|35. "Lion 3: Straight to Video":||Video||48. "Story for Steven":||Flashback|
|36. "Warp Tour":||Absent||49. "The Message":||Absent|
|37. "Alone Together":||Absent||50. "Political Power":||Absent|
|38. "The Test":||Mentioned||51. "The Return":||Mentioned|
|39. "Future Vision":||Absent||52. "Jail Break":||Mentioned|
|1. "Full Disclosure":||Absent||14. "Historical Friction":||Mentioned|
|2. "Joy Ride":||Mentioned||15. "Friend Ship":||Mentioned|
|3. "Say Uncle":||Mentioned||16. "Nightmare Hospital":||Mentioned|
|4. "Love Letters":||Absent||17. "Sadie's Song":||Absent|
|5. "Reformed":||Absent||18. "Catch and Release":||Absent|
|6. "Sworn to the Sword":||Pictured & Mentioned||19. "When It Rains":||Mentioned|
|7. "Rising Tides, Crashing Skies":||Absent||20. "Back to the Barn":||Absent|
|8. "Keeping It Together":||Mentioned||21. "Too Far":||Absent|
|9. "We Need to Talk":||Flashback||22. "The Answer":||Flashback|
|10. "Chille Tid":||Imagined||23. "Steven's Birthday":||Absent|
|11. "Cry for Help":||Absent||24. "It Could've Been Great":||Mentioned|
|12. "Keystone Motel":||Absent||25. "Message Received":||Absent|
|13. "Onion Friend":||Absent||26. "Log Date 7 15 2":||Absent|
|1. "Super Watermelon Island":||Absent||14. "Monster Reunion":||TBA|
|2. "Gem Drill":||Absent||15. "Alone at Sea":||TBA|
|3. "Same Old World":||Absent||16. "Greg the Babysitter":||TBA|
|4. "Barn Mates":||Absent||17. "Gem Hunt":||TBA|
|5. "Hit the Diamond":||Absent|
|6. "Steven Floats":||Pictured & Mentioned|
|7. Drop Beat Dad||Absent|
|8. "Mr. Greg":||Pictured & Mentioned|
|9. "Too Short to Ride":||Absent|
|10. "The New Lars":||Pictured|
|11. "Beach City Drift":||Absent|
|12. "Restaurant Wars":||TBA|
|13. "Kiki's Pizza Delivery Service":||TBA|
- "We are the Crystal Gems" (cameo, mentioned)
And I need you to know that every moment you love being yourself, that's me, loving you and loving being you.
|—Lion 3: Straight to Video|
Steven is Rose's son, whom she gave up her physical form for. While she never got to meet her son, Rose cherished Steven even before his birth, showing nothing but pride and happiness for the kind of person he would become, and trusted him to carry on her mission of protecting the Earth after her passing. Even when she knew it would mean the end of her existence to create Steven, she showed no fear and could not wait for him to join them. She also assured Steven in a video she left behind that when he loves being himself, it is really Rose loving Steven and loving being a part of him. According to Garnet, Steven is a "fusion of love".
Huh? Oh, them? Those are three long stories.
|—We Need to Talk|
Rose Quartz was previously the leader of the Crystal Gems before she brought Steven into existence. The group seems to hold her in high esteem. In the episode "Laser Light Cannon" for instance, Amethyst is quoted as saying, "If Rose were here, this would be so easy!" The members of the group seem to mourn her disappearance from the world after she gave up her physical form to create Steven, though they do not hold Steven accountable for the loss.
In an in-character interview with Newsarama, Pearl seems to confirm that Rose Quartz was a leader of the Crystal Gems, noting, "Brilliant leaders do brilliant things, that is why you look to them for answers, answers no one else could have, that is why you trust them, even when you can not understand why they chose… Greg".
My Pearl. You're wonderful...
Pearl was Rose's second-in-command and confidant in the war against Homeworld. Matt Burnett has described their relationship as "complicated". After the episode "We Need To Talk", it was confirmed that Pearl's feelings for Rose were of the romantic kind. Rebecca Sugar also stated that Rose requited those feelings. Nevertheless, Rose did care deeply for Pearl, and Pearl claims that she was closer to Rose than the other Gems were, and as such, Rose trusted her with information she did not tell Garnet and Amethyst. Pearl seems to value this connection highly, as she became very angry with realizing that there was information that Rose kept even from her in "Rose's Scabbard". In "Sworn to the Sword", it is stated by Pearl that Rose made her "feel like [she] was everything.". It is explained by Garnet that, during the war, Pearl was extremely protective of Rose to the point of ignoring all logic and reason, and was willing to repeatedly risk her own life to ensure Rose's safety. It is implied that this recklessness sparked heated arguments between the two of them.
Oh, you're hilarious, Mr. Universe.
|—We Need to Talk|
Greg Universe was the romantic partner of Rose Quartz until she brought Steven into the world. Greg and Rose seemed to have had a very good relationship, but most of what we know are from Greg's point of view. The two of them met at one of his one-man band concerts in Beach City, where she was the lone attendee. He said that they became inseparable, yet he had no idea "what a magical lady like her ever saw in a plain old dope like [him]." Rose used Greg's catchphrase as the activation words for her Light Cannon, reflecting her feelings towards him. Rose's relationship with Greg started out rocky because Rose did not really understand how human relationships worked, but things got better over time, and they ended up "fusing" into an entirely new being, Steven.
It was shown in the episode "Lion 3: Straight to Video" that Lion had some deep connection to Rose. Lion has belongings of Rose stored inside his mane such as a VHS tape from Rose, a Mr. Universe T-shirt, Rose's Battle Flag , sword, and an unknown object in a bubble. This connection was further explored in "Rose's Scabbard". Though his connection to Rose is obvious, why he is connected remains shrouded in mystery.
- Rose's symbol repeatedly appears throughout the series, such as when the door appears to her room, in the middle of Steven's shield, in the handle of her sword, and the Crystal Gem's war flag back when they fought for the Earth.
- The blast emitted by the Laser Light Cannon and Quartizine Trio assumes a shape loosely resembling her.
- Rose's gemstone was located where a human navel is - as such, Steven's gemstone is located on his stomach where his navel should be.
- In "Rose's Room", when Steven was falling through space in Rose's room, a Tiny Floating Whale spoke to him in Rose's voice saying, "What do you want, Steven?"
- The Gem depicted on the Crystal Temple strongly resembles Rose.
- This Gem may be a fusion that includes Rose instead.
- In "Monster Buddies", Garnet told Steven that Rose tried to use her powers to save corrupted Gems, although she was never able to heal them. Joe Johnston has confirmed this.
- As revealed in "An Indirect Kiss", Rose had a spring filled with her magical healing tears.
- Ian Jones-Quartey confirmed that Rose's skin color is based on a peachy light pink color, like some kinds of rose quartz stones.
- Ian Jones-Quartey stated that Rose shape-shifted a womb for Steven to be born from.
- It was confirmed by Ian Jones-Quartey that Rose is indeed a quartz Gem. He also explained that the reason why she is "nicer" than other quartz Gems is because "They (Quartz Gems) can not all be tankers".
- In "Ocean Gem", Greg has stated that Rose enjoyed hard rock and roll.
- When asked how she decided to "kill off" Rose, Rebecca Sugar cryptically replied, "Is she dead?"
- This statement was most likely referring to the fact that Rose gave up her physical form to give birth to Steven, thus making her "still alive" as a part of Steven's gemstone.
- Rose admitted to having loved other humans before loving Greg.
- However, she later admitted to not understanding human love, casting doubt on this claim.
- In "Mr. Greg", Pearl passively mentioned that Rose met with various men throughout her stay on Earth, but Greg was the first that she ever had a romantic relationship with.
- She also had a fascination with humans, describing them as "funny" and "adorable."
- In "Too Far", Peridot mentions how quartz-type Gems, like Amethyst, Jasper, and Rose, are created to be warriors and are designed with large bodies and broad shoulders as a way of intimidating their enemies.
- Rose's style of dancing when fusing is similar to Waltz.
- Rose had never been seen without her signature dress, indicating that she never had to regenerate before giving birth to Steven or that if she did regenerate she regenerated with the same dress, similar to Peridot's regeneration.
- Whenever Rose has been seen wearing other types of clothing, she just wears it over the top of her dress.
- Rose quartz is a gemstone has an association with healing, confidence, friendship, love, peace, compassion, empathy, beauty and heart, which perfectly describes Rose's personality.
- Rose quartz is a rosy pink variety of quartz.
- Its color is usually soft, ranging from very light pink to medium pink in intensity.
- Rose quartz is a cheap and abundant stone and is frequently used for jewelry, often appearing in the shape of hearts and roses.
- It is often called "Love Stone".
- Rose quartz is used to balance emotions and bring peace and calm.
- Rose quartz's chemical formula is SiO2::Ti, where the titanium impurities make them have a pinkish-red coloration.
- Rose quartz is the Zodiacal sign for Taurus and to an extent, Libra.
|Rose Quartz's gemstone is located on her navel. It is a circular gemstone with a pentagonal facet. Her gemstone also appears on Steven and Stevonnie.|