"I can't tell you, Amethyst! You have to figure this out for yourself!"
The episode begins with Steven taking a "Crying Breakfast Friends!" personality quiz. After discovering he is "Sniffling Croissant", he looks for Pearl and Greg, who are working on Greg's Van, so he can ask them to take the quiz too. Steven tries to convince them by describing the quiz, and giving examples; which just so happen to match up with Greg and Pearl's personalities. After they decline, Steven goes inside the Beach House to find Amethyst making herself a huge sandwich. Amethyst asks Steven for some engine oil to put into it, and Steven tells her it is possibly outside with Greg's Van. Steven then wants to quiz Amethyst on which "Crying Breakfast Friends!" she is, but she gives him false answers. Amethyst feigns getting bored after being troubled by questions of her insecurity and self-confidence and heads toward the temple with Steven desperately on her heels to find Garnet inside Amethyst's room. Amethyst, being curious and slightly irritated, asks why Garnet is in her room. Garnet replies by saying that she saw a corrupted Gem in Amethyst's room. Garnet claims it is similar to the thing Pearl described seeing on the loose in her room.
Garnet, Amethyst, and Steven go to chase the corrupted gem which Steven dubbed "The Slinker" around the temple. Steven tries to ask Amethyst questions for the personality quiz again, but Amethyst becomes defensive when asked personal questions regarding hidden feelings. Garnet spots the creature and attacks but she misses. Amethyst is upset at Garnet for "wrecking" her stuff, but before she can finish her sentence, she is grabbed by the Slinker.
After tightly gripping Amethyst with its tentacle, the Slinker squeezes her like a snake, and Amethyst is forced to retreat into her gem, which alarms Steven. Amethyst had been "poofed", and Steven immediately begins to panic and miss her, because when Pearl had been poofed, she took "two whole weeks to come back!" Garnet comforts him by saying that Amethyst would be back before he knew it. Seconds later, Amethyst regenerates in a form with legs where her arms usually would be along with her regular legs. Although Steven is amused, Garnet is displeased by this, saying that her regeneration was fast even for herself. Amethyst blows off Garnet and cartwheels away, continuing the search.
After a while, they find another tunnel made by the Slinker. When Steven comments on Amethyst's new form, saying he wished he had four legs too, Garnet notes that Pearl took her time and came out better. This makes Amethyst mad, and when she stops to convey her distaste in Pearl, she is crushed by the Slinker, causing her to retreat into her gem again. Garnet comforts Steven again, and tells him that at least now Amethyst now gets a second chance to regenerate into a new form, hoping that she will take it more seriously this time. However, Amethyst comes back quicker than the previous time, with a form resembling an exaggerated parody of Pearl. Garnet expresses her distaste again, saying that it wasn't funny. The Gems resume their search for the monster while Amethyst continues to poke fun at Pearl. Soon, she and Garnet get into an argument about how her form affects the strength of the team, but they are interrupted when Amethyst is grabbed by the Slinker and it forces back into her gem for the third time. Still angry at Garnet for what she interpreted as Garnet calling her weak, Amethyst regenerates into a "stronger" form with an uneven body and bulging muscles on one arm and one leg. Steven expresses concern for Amethyst's health, and Garnet tells Amethyst that her form isn't sustainable. Angered, Amethyst runs away to find the Slinker herself.
Garnet and Steven catch up to her and she is seen embroiled in a battle with the Slinker. As she struggles to defeat the beast, Garnet tells her to let go, but Amethyst refuses, insisting that Garnet "wanted [her] to be stronger". Garnet tells her that she didn't want this. Unable to maintain her unstable new form, Amethyst's left arm loses its strength and falls to the floor distorted. Amethyst then asks Garnet to tell her what she wants from her, but Garnet tells her that she has to figure it out for herself, and this response frustrates her even more. Steven makes the observation that Amethyst can't figure it out because she is upset and doesn't want to think about herself. Amethyst is startled by his comment, and she is engulfed by the monster, retreating to her gem one last time. Garnet punches it, forcing it to release Amethyst's gem from its mouth, and they return to the Beach House with Amethyst's gem, intending to find the monster after she regenerates.
Instead of immediately regenerating, Amethyst remains in her gem for four hours, which Pearl notes is the longest she's ever taken. When Amethyst finally does regenerate, it is shown that she put more thought into her regeneration and has no abnormalities. The other Gems are very supportive of her new form and compliment her on it, Pearl saying that she likes it much better now that the shoulder strap that was bothering her is gone. Garnet says it's perfect, but Amethyst brushes the compliment off and claims that it's "just what feels right". Garnet says that was what makes it perfect and they all have a group hug, which Amethyst secretly enjoys and the star iris focuses on her face before closing.
- In honor of the episode, the Steven Crewniverse shared "Grape Popsicle Amethysts Gemstones" (prepared by Christy Cohen).
- It's revealed that when regenerating, Gems can customize their base physical forms as they please.
- This is also shown discreetly in "Steven the Sword Fighter", when Pearl chose her new physical form.
- However, if regeneration is rushed, deformities may occur such as limb placement and improper proportions.
- A Gem can also decide how long to take to regenerate, as it took Amethyst seconds to and at the end of the episode several hours, where as it took Pearl two weeks.
- Amethyst indirectly mentioned Sugilite when she asked Garnet if she wanted to "mix it up" with her after her third regeneration was rushed.
- Pearl is hanging out with Greg, revealing that their relationship has improved since "The Message".
- The Crying Breakfast Friends! characters that appear in the episode are correlated to the Crystal Gems and Greg. Steven indirectly describes both Pearl's and Greg's characteristics through Weeping Egg Cup and Pining Grapefruit, respectively. Afterwards, he directly describes Garnet through Spilled Milk.
- It is currently unknown when the first encounter with the Slinker occurred, due to the fact there is no episode about it.
- The hiatus was announced on the official Crewniverse Tumblr on April 30 after "Reformed" aired.
- It is shown that Amethyst likes engine oil on her sandwiches.
- In total, Amethyst regenerates four times in this episode.
- When Amethyst rushes her "Pearl" regeneration, a variation of Pearl's Theme plays.
- A Gyroid very much resembling ones found in Animal Crossing also appears in the room.
- A bottle of Lon Lon Milk from the Legend of Zelda can be seen on the kitchen shelf shortly before Amethyst reforms for the final time.
- A pot of pansies that are similar to Animal Crossing can be seen.
- The Wheel from the American television game show Wheel of Fortune can also be spotted in the room behind Steven after Amethyst's first regeneration.
- The Slime monster from the Dragon Quest series can also be found to the left of Amethyst as she searches her pile of junk.
- After Steven jokes about Amethyst's feet-for-arms regeneration, he says "nyuck-nyuck-nyuck" which may be a nod to The Three Stooges in comedy.
- The "Black Iron Greatshield" from Dark Souls and the "Grym Great Hammer" from Dark Souls 2 can be shortly seen when Garnet shoots her fist towards The Slinker the first time.
- Garnet also throws two objects before exclaiming "There!", one of which is a blank-eyed Daruma doll.
- A ? block from the Super Mario series can be seen to the left of the large ice cream cone and a giant Rubix cube and above the Wheel of Fortune multiple times, most clearly after Amethyst's first regeneration.
- A Maneki Neko (Lucky Cat) statue is also on top of the same junk pile.
- Amethyst is shown to have kept the fashion magazine from "Beach Party", as it appears in her room.
- Steven recalls the events of "Steven the Sword Fighter".
- During Amethyst's final regeneration, several different (assumed previous regenerations) silhouettes of Amethyst can be seen, similar to how several of Pearl's previous forms can be seen in "Steven the Sword Fighter".
- In the beginning, when Steven entered, a light switch was on the wall to his right. In the next scene, it wasn't there, then in the next scene, the light switch was there, but more to the right than before when it was in the middle.
- When Steven was talking to Amethyst about her new form (extra legs), her pant sleeve and her shoulder strap on her right shoulder was missing. In the next scene, it came back.
- The second time Amethyst got poofed from above and Garnet and Steven look down; there was no hole above them.
- In one scene, Amethyst's gemstone had the same cut as Steven's gemstone, a pentagon, while she was imitating Pearl.
- When Amethyst is in her final form, even though the cut in her pants in patched, the cut is still there in her pants when she hops off the table.
- In the scene where Amethyst says it was her monster so she'll deal with it, the base of Garnet's gauntlets is black instead of orange.
- When Amethyst is reforming to her most recent form, her gem is turned into a different angle.
View the episode's transcript here.