Pay attention to these petals, Steven. The petals' dance seems improvised, but it is being calculated in real time based on the physical properties of this planet. With hard work, and dedication, you can master the magical properties of your gem and perform your own dance!
"Pearl" is one of the main protagonists in Steven Universe.
One of Rose Quartz's closest followers and her confidant, Pearl is one of the last surviving Gems on Earth who rebelled against the Gem Homeworld to stop their invasion of the planet and their destruction to all living beings. Joining the Crystal Gems, Pearl would protect the Earth over the next several millennia alongside her friends while later teaching Rose's son, Steven, the ways of her people.
Pearl is like a Samurai. She is, like, incredibly precise.
Pearl is a perfectionist and strategist who values thought and reason. She is very intelligent, graceful, and controlled, having a wide range of knowledge on many topics from the history of Gem-kind to Rocket Science. Although she gets easily flustered when her plans fail, or when Amethyst says something she doesn't think Steven should hear. She is very caring and motherly toward Steven, to the point of occasionally being overbearing, but always well-meaning. Despite her intelligent and calm demeanor she has been known to be overwhelmed when confronted by an unknown force or an ability or situation she does not understand. She also has a need to keep everything organized, going as far as to impale a teddy bear to maintain symmetry in a pile of various appliances and school supplies. She can sometimes let more slip out than she means to, and end up backing herself into a corner when interrogated, as seen in "The Test", when she accidentally says that the Sea Spire mission was a test for Steven and makes the situation worse the more she talks.
Out of all the Crystal Gems, Pearl appears to be the most poorly adjusted to life on earth, generally being unaware of human social conventions and activities such as jokes, games, arcades, food, and birthday parties, as well as showing a great desire to leave Earth and return to space in "Space Race" (going so far as to risk her own and Steven's life in an attempt to leave Earth, only until it was clear they wouldn't make it did she agree to bail). Pearl also seems to have a generally negative view of humanity, as evidenced by her statement in "Keep Beach City Weird:"
Humans just live short, boring, insignificant lives, so they make up stories to feel like they're a part of something bigger. They want to blame all the world's problems on some single enemy they can fight, instead of a complex network of interrelated forces beyond anyone's control.
|—Pearl in Keep Beach City Weird|
Despite this, she is dedicated to her cause in protecting humanity more or less out of her love, loyalty and dedication to Rose Quartz. She does find certain aspects of Earth rather amazing as seen in "Serious Steven" where she comments on how wild strawberries made the Gem Battlefield their new home.
Pearl has a thin, crane-like body and pale white skin. Her short hair is light peach and is stylized to a point like pixie cut. She has large light blue eyes, which become spiral and hypnotic whenever she becomes over-excited and stressed like she does in "Shirt Club" and "Say Uncle," and a pointy, cone-shaped nose. Pearl's gemstone is a large pearl embedded in her forehead. She is a few inches shorter than Garnet.
|Her hair was rose-pink, instead of peach, which was styled into a quiff. She wore a dark gray tank top underneath, blue sleeveless jacket/vest with a brown button, a salmon baggy skirt with a bright orange short leggings, yellow-green bead-earrings, and blue flat pumps with a pink underside.||"Pilot"|
|Pearl had pinkish hair with a green top and a white see-through poncho-like ballerina shawl around it, with purple pastel shorts, and green flats with long pink leg warmers.||"Story for Steven"|
|Pearl wore a flowing sky-blue sundress with a white frill around her shoulder area, the dress reaches down to a little past her knees. She also goes barefoot.||"Beach Party"|
|Pearl wears a powder-blue jumpsuit, that has white, pink, and dark blue futuristic designs on the top half and above the knees, and orange knee high flat boots.||"Space Race"|
|Pearl wears Steven's Birthday Suit.||"So Many Birthdays"|
|Pearl wears a sweater over her clothes.||"Maximum Capacity"|
Like all Gems, Pearl can summon a weapon, shape-shift, fuse, and retreat into her gemstone to heal. Activating her gemstone, Pearl summons a spear. She can fuse with Amethyst to create Opal, though is only willing to in dangerous situations. She can also fuse with Amethyst and Garnet to form Alexandrite.
Pearl is shown to be quite knowledgeable in human engineering, despite her naiveté towards human culture overall, as she was able to repair and upgrade Greg's destroyed van and was able to construct a spaceship out of scrap. It is possible that Pearl is the most educated of the Crystal Gems, since she seems to excel in aeronautics and aerospace engineering.
Pearl is shown to be considerably tough too, as she can take many hits before succumbing to her wounds. In "Coach Steven," she took a headbutt and a direct hit from Sugilite's mace, and could still move, given Steven's encouragement. In "On the Run," she took an explosion from Amethyst's whip directly and was fine almost immediately after, despite being briefly immobilized and scratched up. However, she had to retreat to her gem after being stabbed through the stomach in "Steven the Sword Fighter."
She is shown to be an exceptional swordswoman that moves quickly, and seems to incorporate elements of dancing into her fighting style.
- Spear Proficiency: By using Pearl's years of training and dedication, she is able to summon her weapon: a pearlescent spear. Pearl is very skilled in the art of spear wielding, and goes in tandem with her pattern of fighting that involves dancing, specifically ballet. She moves gracefully and swiftly throughout the battlefield and attacks with spear in hand with grace and poise. She handles herself well in melee skirmishes, able to hold up against two water clones of herself whilst wielding dual spears. While not the strongest physically or the most eclectic thinker, it is clear the Pearl possesses the most skill when it comes to combat.
- Dual Wielding: While it has been shown only once (in "Ocean Gem"), Pearl is capable of wielding dual spears in battle, implying she may be ambidextrous.
- Energy Projection: Pearl can fire arrow-like blasts of energy from the tip of her spear. This can be done rapid-fire or charged to unleash a more powerful blast. In "Attack the Light," this ability is named "Fireball".
- Holograms: Pearl can project holographic images from her gemstone, which she uses mainly as a visual aid when lecturing Steven. While most of the holograms seem to be intangible, some, like Holo-Pearl, are able to interact with solid matter. Furthermore, the holograms can function without Pearl's prescence up to two weeks, implying that her holograms can live independently without any problem. They typically function as distractions in battle.
- Psammokinesis: Pearl is shown manipulating a small amount of sand to create figurines of herself and Amethyst in "Giant Woman". It is currently unknown how much sand she can control at one time.
- Pocket Dimension: By performing a specialized dance, Pearl can summon and store objects with her gemstone.
- Water-Walking: Like Lapis Lazuli, Lion, and Opal; Pearl also has the ability to walk on water, as she is seen walking on the waterfall pillars in her room.
All that matters is that Steven is happy.
|—Pearl in "Gem Glow"|
As opposed to Garnet's more pragmatic and Amethyst's more fun loving personalities, Pearl acts as a mentor. She always tries to speak gently to him and is usually the first to show concern when taking him on a dangerous mission. However in "Space Race," she allows her own interest in returning to space to cloud her better judgement despite trying to attain her original goal of showing Steven the cosmos.
Pearl also tends to patronize Steven and frequently underestimates his abilities, thus viewing him more as a child than as a fellow Crystal Gem. She is surprised to find that Steven is able to summon his shield in "Gem Glow," return to normal after transforming his fingers into cats in "Cat Fingers," think of strategies to escape the obstacles that they encounter in "Cheeseburger Backpack," as well as the Pyramid Temple in "Serious Steven." She ignores Steven when he brings up the idea of everyone eating breakfast together in "Together Breakfast." She also does not feel that Steven is prepared to learn about the dark side of gem history, when she tells Amethyst that Steven "isn't ready" to learn about the bad history of Gems in "On the Run." Pearl may also harbor some feelings of resentment towards Steven due to her love for Rose Quartz. Although she obviously tries to conceal this, these feelings occasionally slip through when she is especially emotional, such as in "Rose's Scabbard."
Like the other Gems, Pearl respects and follows Garnet's orders without question. She does, however, believe that the Gems are a team and may not exactly see Garnet as a leader, most likely because she will always see Rose Quartz as leader despite her being gone. When there are signs of danger, however, Pearl usually turns to Garnet, often hiding behind her or holding onto her arm. In "Secret Team", it is clear that she shares an unprecedented fear towards her with Amethyst, so afraid of Garnet's disapproval (as well as what she would do if she found out) that both she and Amethyst willing to put past their differences to keep the popped Gem-bubble a secret. She has known about her true identities for several thousand years.
I hope you can forgive me...You're the one good thing that came out of this mess, I always thought you were proud of that.
|—Pearl in "On the Run"|
The two have a strained relationship which is likely due to their contrasting personalities. Pearl is often seen scolding Amethyst, who in return, often teases Pearl. Regardless of their differences, Pearl and Amethyst have been shown to be able to put their differences on multiple occasions in order to work together. For example, in "Secret Team", Pearl and Amethyst are forced to fight together, and complement each others' skills, even sharing appreciative smiles; in "Warp Tour", they praise and admire each others' fighting techniques; in "On the Run", the two reveal that they really do deeply care about each other, despite their differences and frequent fights. In "Story for Steven" they are shown having a much closer relationship before the events of the series, close enough to be perfectly content hugging and resting in each other's arms. It can be inferred that Rose's departure and Steven's birth somehow lead to their relationship deteriorating with time.
She is on speaking terms with Greg and has shown to be civil towards him, even fixing his van after it was wrecked in "Ocean Gem". However, in "House Guest" she was anxious about him living with the Crystal Gems, whether this was due to social anxiety or resentment towards Greg has not been confirmed.
Everything I ever did, I did for her. Now she's gone... but I'm still here.
|—Pearl in "Rose's Scabbard"|
Pearl's closest relationship was with Rose. She was loyal enough to fight alongside her against her own Homeworld at the Strawberry Battlefield, before they even found Amethyst, an believed herself to be Rose's "sole confidant" and privy to all her secrets. She became jealous and eventually devastated upon learning that this was not the case. Pearl looked up to Rose for guidance and support and often speaks very fondly of her, being shown to love her enough to stay on Earth and defend it instead of returning home alone. Like Amethyst, she grew emotional when they spoke of their relationship with her. In "Story for Steven", when Rose bragged about Greg's singing, Pearl is quick to note as soon as he is out of earshot that she can also sing, much to the amusement of the other three Crystal Gems.
Originally, Pearl saw Lion as just an average wild animal, being a little uneasy about Steven keeping him because of his probably dangerous nature. However, in "Rose's Scabbard", she gains a different kind of unease due to him containing Rose's Sword and thus having some connection to Rose. This knowledge distressed her greatly as Rose supposedly told her everything, causing her to resent Lion a bit to the point where she ran away with Rose's Scabbard to the Gem Battlefield. After gaining encouragement from Steven, she seems to respect Lion a bit more while still feeling tenuous about him in general.
- In the transition from the pilot to the series, Pearl underwent the most drastic change of the three Gems. Among these changes are:
- Removal of gold ring around her gem
- Removal of earrings
- Skin color changed (from blue to white)
- Pointy nose
- Different overall body structure
- Drastically different outfit
- Different hairstyle
- Rose-pink hair color to a peach one
- Eye color changed (black to a light blue)
- Removal of hearts on slippers and slipper color changed (dark blue to light blue)
- In "Together Breakfast," it is revealed that Pearl owns a wide collection of swords.
- In "So Many Birthdays," Pearl revealed that all Gems (excluding Steven) are ageless.
- It is shown that when Pearl blushes, she blushes light blue. This was first seen in "Cat Fingers."
- The Gems' fighting style's are based off of dancing styles. Pearl's fighting/dancing style is ballet.1
- In "Fusion Cuisine", Pearl states that she hates eating.
- Pearl agrees to consume human food, expresses interest in eating, or admits to a preference for certain foods in "Together Breakfast", "Bubble Buddies", "Serious Steven", and "So Many Birthdays". These episodes all take place before "Steven the Sword Fighter". This could mean that Pearl used to like human food.
- In a Twitter response to a fan, Matt Burnett explained that Pearl likes the process of pie, aka baking, rather than the consumption of it.
- She is shown to enjoy tea, however, as shown when she brings a teapot to Funland in "Serious Steven", and when she talks about finding out Connie's favorite tea in "Bubble Buddies".
- Rebecca Sugar confirmed Pearl is a lot like her.
- In "Keep Beach City Weird", Pearl has shown a reluctance to shapeshift and is the only Crystal Gem who has not shown an ability to shapeshift outside regeneration.
- Pearl had a replicator wand which was destroyed in "Onion Trade" by Garnet, and currently still has a collection of swords and a battle axe.
- Pearl is the first Gem that's actually shown retreating into her gemstone to regenerate after sustaining serious injuries, as seen in "Steven the Sword Fighter".
- She is also the first Gem in the series to have a gemstone on her forehead (the second being Peridot).
- Pearl sings for the first time in the episode "Coach Steven".
- "Joking Victim" is the first episode in which Pearl does not make an appearance, the second being "Garnet's Universe".
- In "Steven and the Stevens", she is seen playing the violin.
- It was shown in "Monster Buddies" that Steven keeps a framed picture of Pearl on the side of their fridge. It was later destroyed by the Centipeetle Mother.
- Pearl appears to have her face on several coin-types.
- Pearl is the first gem who shown to be able to harness energy within their weapon for an attack in "Watermelon Steven".
- In "Lion 3: Straight to Video", Pearl admits that she often watches Steven sleep.
- "Warp Tour" is the first episode Pearl and Steven have an argument.
- It was Pearl who revealed that the Crystal Gems chose Earth over their true home.
- It's confirmed by Steven in "Steven the Sword Fighter" that organizing messes is one of Pearl's favorite hobbies.
- In "The Return", Pearl is the only gem still alive that Jasper refers to by name, though she does say "a broken Pearl".
- Considering the fact that Garnet is a fusion, Pearl is the second tallest non-fused Crystal Gem, right next to Rose Quartz.
- It is revealed in "Reformed" that Pearl was always irked by Amethyst's crooked shoulder strap.
- Pearl is ambedextrous.
- This is shown in "Mirror Gem" when Pearl is shown to be able to wield two spears at a time.
- Pearls are the birthstone for those born in June, and are also used to commemorate the third and thirtieth anniversaries.
- In gemstone mythology, pearls are often associated with virginity, beauty, modesty, purity, and happiness.
- Whilst pearl superstitions and folklore vary greatly, pearls are widely considered to encourage good health and wealth.
- Pearls are light pink or white gemstones, similar to the one "Pearl" has on her forehead.
- Pearls are organic gemstones that are formed by shelled molluscs; mainly bivalved oysters and mussels.
- Pearls can be white, pink, yellow, silver, cream, golden, green, lavender, blue, and black colors.
- Pearls can be used as metaphors for something rare, fine, admirable and valuable.
- Pearls are also the oldest known gem for many centuries and an astral gemstone for the signs, Gemini and Cancer.
|Information||Pearl's gemstone is located in the center of her forehead. Her gemstone is smooth and does not have any facets, however it has a middle ring as revealed in Steven the Sword Fighter.|
Click here to view the gallery.
|Characters in Steven Universe|
Unfused: Jasper • Lapis Lazuli • Peridot • Yellow Diamond
|Minor Characters|| |
Humans: Barbara • Bill Dewey • Buck Dewey • Greg's Uncle • Greg's Aunt • Kevin • Mr. Smiley • Jamie • Jenny Pizza • Kiki • Kofi • Marty • Mr. Fryman • Mr. Maheswaran • Dr. Maheswaran • Nanafua • Onion • Peedee Fryman • Ronaldo Fryman • Sour Cream • Suitcase Sam • Vidalia • Yellowtail