I predict Lars will change in hue. What a mystery!
Padparadscha is an unaligned Gem living in an abandoned Kindergarten facility on the Gem Homeworld alongside other defective and abnormal Gems also known as the Off Colors. While Sapphires are supposed to have visions into the future, Padparadscha's visions are of events that have occurred in the recent past. She made her debut in "Off Colors".
Padparadscha is a Gem with a very similar appearance to Sapphire. She is short, roughly the same height as Steven. She has a peachy orange complexion, plump lips, and shoulder length, deep peach hair, with bangs covering her eye and a cowlick on top of her head. Her attire consists of a beige, dull red, and light orange floor-length gown, with a beige collar, shoulder pads, and elbow-length gloves. The skirt is a dull light orange, and it has a reddish upper layer with an off-white trim and is tied back into a bow, as well as a flower-like design. Her gemstone is located on the back of her right hand.
Padparadscha has a cheerful and kind personality. Despite being a Sapphire, her predictions are always late, leading her to announce events that have already transpired as if they have yet to happen. She seems to rely heavily on her predictions, causing her to have delayed reactions to things happening around her. This was shown to be detrimental to her safety when the Off Colors were under attack, with Lars, Steven, and Rhodonite having to protect her. Despite actually witnessing the events she "predicts", her visions always seem to surprise her, making it possible her vision and sense of time as a whole is delayed.
Padparadscha was considered defective and cast aside due to her "prediction" visions being of events that have already occurred, rendering her visions useless. Eventually, she joined a group of other defective Gems, hiding with them in the tunnels of an abandoned Kindergarten to avoid being shattered and residing there for eons.
Padparadscha first appears from behind a pillar when Steven and Lars enter the Kindergarten. She then predicts that the Rutile Twins will bring two strangers to their current location. Fluorite later explains that Padparadscha can only predict things that just happened. When the Shattering Robonoids appear again, she warns the others that they are about to be found. When Lars is scanned, but not detected, she predicts that Lars is safe from the Robonoids, which only target gems. Padparadscha's delayed reaction causes herself to be scanned, but she gets saved from the blast by Lars. When Lars is just brought back to life, she predicts that something incredible is going to happen to him.
After Steven, Rhodonite, and the Rutile Twins leave Lars to block the entrance, Padparadscha predicts Lars will change in hue. She then warns the others to block the entrance after they already did that. When Steven comes back from Earth through Lars' Head, she tries to tell the Off Colors that Steven is back, although the others already have moved on from that topic. Padparadscha shouts the Off Colors can't leave without Lars when the rest already decided they won't leave without him.
The text or media within the template contains information about an upcoming episode, continue reading at your own risk.
Unannounced Episode ("Lars of the Stars")
Padparadscha, along with the rest of the Off Colors and led by Lars Barriga, escape the Homeworld Kindergarten and go on the run. They steal an Emerald's personal shuttle before crashing it on the planet Upsilon-9, travel to various planets, 'impersonate imperial officers during a public jubilee', and later sneak past sixty-seven elite Citrine guards to steal Emerald's fastest ship (the "Sun Incinerator") from a docking bay on the planet Clavia-7. While Emerald contacts them through the ship, Padparadscha (now a 'technical advisor' under 'Captain Lars') makes an oblivious late prediction that Emerald will discover and contact them. After Emerald threatens them, Lars has the Rutile Twins pilot the ship into taking off in hyper-speed.
Presumably, Padparadscha possesses standard Gem abilities and traits of her Gem type.
- Retrocognition: Rather than having visions of the future, Padparadscha's visions are of events in the recent past, making her predictions very late.
Padparadscha is not wary of him when they first meet. She is friendly to him immediately and appears happy when Steven returns from Earth.
Padparadscha cares about Lars, shouting "we can't leave without Lars!" after the Off Colors assured him they would not leave Homeworld without him. She also happily predicted Lars being invisible to the Shattering Robonoids.
Padparadscha's relationship with Fluorite is very vague, although Padparadscha is as kind to her as to everyone else.
Not much is shown between Padparadscha's relationship with the Rutile Twins, as they have not exchanged dialogue yet.
Padparadscha appears to have a mother-daughter relationship with her, with Rhodonite often protecting her because of her delayed sense of time.
|1. "Stuck Together":||Absent|
|2. "The Trial":||Absent|
|3. "Off Colors":||Debut|
|4. "Lars' Head":||Appears|
- Padparadscha's design strongly resembles both Princess Peach and Princess Daisy from the Super Mario series.
- Additionally, padparadscha sapphires are also sometimes known as "peach sapphires" in real life.
- According to Rebecca Sugar, Sapphires are more Zelda-esque, while Padparadschas are more Peach-esque.
- Padparadscha's gemstone was located on her chest in her early concept sketches.
- Padparadscha responds to present events in a delayed manner, such as when Steven asks the Off Colors to stand back when he attempts to enter Lars' hair.
- While historically disputed, the term "padparadscha" is derived from multiple languages' (such as Bengali, German, Sanskrit and Sinhalese) usage on "padma (lotus) ranga (color)" which applies to various forms of diction regarding the color of the oriental lotus Nelumbo nucifera and the rare pinkish-orange variety of corundum.
- Padparadscha sapphires are mainly found in Sri Lanka, as well as Madagascar and Tanzania.
- Some experts insist that true padparadschas can come only from Sri Lanka, which, for centuries, was the only source of this coveted stone.
- The padparadscha sapphire is one of the rarest sapphires, having its price set higher than other forms of sapphire.
- Its cost varies from the range of emeralds and rubies.
|Padparadscha's gemstone is located on the back of her right hand, featuring a triangular facet. The front and back are symmetrical. It is an octahedron, specifically a truncated trigonal dipyramid.|