All you wanna do is see me turn into...
—Opal in "Giant Woman"
Opal is a tall Gem, although she is currently the second shortest fusion Gem shown so far, right above Stevonnie. She has long white hair pony-tailed off the back of her head that extends to her ankles, pale violet skin, bright blue eyes, four arms, Pearl's pointy nose, and Amethyst's lips.
Her clothes consist of a blue-green tube shirt with drapes in the front and back with a large yellow star on the front, magenta pants, and gold boots. The location of her gemstones are her forehead and chest.
Due to being a fusion, Opal's personality is a combination of aspects of both Amethyst's and Pearl's character traits. Her disposition is speculated to be mild-mannered and a fusion of Amethyst's power and self-confidence along with Pearl's grace and precision. She appears to be more open to Steven's desire to have fun, as she sang part of his song back to him. This shows a combination of Amethyst's laid-back attitude with Pearl's nurturing tendencies. It was shown that she can easily be distracted from main objectives, such as when she defeated the monster at the Sky Spire, she considered the mission done and left without completing the original mission (retrieving the Heaven Beetle). This could be because of both Amethyst and Pearl, as the two can easily get distracted (though in opposite ways).
By synchronizing via dancing, Amethyst and Pearl can fuse into a more powerful Gem. She can summon Pearl's spear and Amethyst's whip to form her bow, which is capable of firing explosive arrows and can bubble Gems' gems at the same time. She is nimble as well, as she is able to do backflips with grace and agility. However; if Amethyst and Pearl disagree with each other while fused, they will separate back into themselves. Like Pearl and Lapis, she has the ability to walk on water.
- Opal is the birthstone of October.
- In gem mythos, opals are assciated with purity and hope.
- She is the first fused Gem to be featured in an episode.
- The "dance" the two must perform to fuse may be a reference to the Fusion Dance in DragonBall Z, even to the part where the two fusers must be willing to bond when needed.
- The locations of her two gems are the same as Amethyst's and Pearl's gems.
- Opal closely resembles Kali, a Hindu deity, featuring four arms, long hair, and a gem lodged in their forehead. She is also similar to the design of Nabooru from the "Legend of Zelda;" even to the point of having her pointed nose.
- Opal's appearance consists more of Pearl's physical appearance and features.
- Opal's energy arrows are shown to immediately bubble the gems of fallen Gem monsters.
- Opal is currently the only Gem with a ranged weapon (unless one counts Sugilite).
- The arrows that come from Opal's bow appear similar to Pearl's energy blast as seen in "Watermelon Steven".
Learn more about the opal gemstone here.
Click here to view the gallery.
|Characters in Steven Universe|
Peedee Fryman • Ronaldo Fryman • Mr. Fryman • Mr. Smiley • Jenny Pizza • Kiki • Kofi • Mr. Maheswaran • Mrs. Maheswaran • Yellowtail • Nanafua • Jamie • Sour Cream • Buck Dewey • Mayor Bill Dewey • Tiny Floating Whale • Steven Jr. • Suitcase Sam • Ace • Ace's Father • Greg's Uncle • Greg's Aunt • Foxman • Hopper • Hoppy • Ringo • Baby Melon • Watermelon Stevens • Sadie's Mother • Dogcopter • Kevin