All you wanna do is see me turn into...
Giant Woman (Steven)
Opal is a tall Gem, although she is currently the third shortest fusion shown so far, right above Stevonnie and Garnet. She has long white hair pony-tailed off the back of her head that extends to her ankles, pale violet skin, bright blue eyes, four arms, Pearl's pointy nose, and Amethyst's lips along with her gemstones being on her forehead and chest.
Her clothes consist of a blue-green tube shirt with drapes in the front and back with a large yellow star on the front, magenta pants, and gold flat boots.
Her second outfit is slightly the same, yet different, with a yellow sash around her waist, an iridescent dark blue and green tank top with light turquoise sleeves and an added neckline to her top. This is due to Pearl's regeneration in "Steven the Sword Fighter". It is worth noting that the outfit cuts out the unnecessary parts of each individual Gems' outfit, Pearl's skirt and Amethyst's ripped pants, possibly implying that the fusion of the two is more practical than either Gem alone.
Due to being a fusion, Opal's personality is a combination of aspects of both Amethyst's and Pearl's character traits. Her disposition is speculated to be mild-mannered and a fusion of Amethyst's power and self-confidence along with Pearl's grace and precision. She appears to be more open to Steven's desire to have fun and play, as she sang part of his song back to him. This shows a combination of Amethyst's laid-back attitude with Pearl's nurturing tendencies. It was shown that she can easily be distracted from main objectives, such as when she defeated the monster at the Sky Spire, she considered the mission done and left without completing the original mission (retrieving the Heaven Beetle). This could be because of both Amethyst and Pearl, as the two can easily get distracted (though in opposite ways).
Like all Gems, Opal can shapeshift, summon a weapon, and retreat to her gemstones to regenerate. Opal can either individually summon Pearl's spear, or Amethyst's whip. When combining their weapons together, it creates a long bow, which is capable of firing explosive, deadly arrows, and can bubble gemstones at the same time. She also has the ability to walk on water, much like Lapis Lazuli.
- Opal is the birthstone of October.Birthstones by Month.
- In gemstone mythology, opals are associated with purity and hope.
- She is the first fusion to be featured (unless one counts Garnet).
- The "dance" the two must perform to fuse may be a reference to the Fusion Dance in DragonBall Z, even to the point where the two fusers must be willing to bond when needed.
- Opal closely resembles Kali, a Hindu deity, featuring four arms, long hair, and a gemstone lodged in their forehead.
- She is also similar to the design of Nabooru from The Legend Of Zelda; even to the point of having her pointed nose.
- Opal's appearance consists more of Pearl's physical appearance and features.
- This also extends to her weapon; Pearl's spear not only makes up the longbow but the arrows are visually similar to the energy blast the spear can emit. Meanwhile Amethyst's whip merely acts as the bowstring.
- Opal is the only Gem (fused or non-fused) so far with an exclusively ranged weapon.
- She is the second fusion to have used a Warp Pad (Garnet was first).
- Opal makes her second appearance in "The Return"; she tried to shoot her arrows at Peridot's ship, which had no effect.
- She is the only fusion (besides Garnet) that appears in more than one episode.
- Opal is among the least "monstrous" of fusions, which could imply that more stable fusions look closer to a humanoid figure, since the only fusion that seems more humanoid than her is Garnet, a near-perfect fusion.
- It also implies that despite their constant bickering, Pearl and Amethyst are actually very close deep down.
- Opal is possibly the most likely Gem fusion to be split, besides Alexandrite, due to Pearl and Amethyst hardly agreeing on anything.
Learn about the opal gemstone here.
Click here to view the gallery.
|Characters in Steven Universe|
Unfused: Jasper • Lapis Lazuli • Peridot • Yellow Diamond
Corrupt: Big Bird • Centipeetles • Centipeetle Mother • Earth Beetle • Electric Skulls • Frybo • Gem Cave Creature • Giant Pufferfish • Heaven Beetle • Ice Monster • Invisible Gem Monster • Lighthouse Gem Monster • Worm Monster
|Minor Characters|| |
Humans: Mayor Bill Dewey • Buck Dewey • Greg's Uncle • Greg's Aunt • Kevin • Harold Smiley • Jamie • Jenny Pizza • Kiki • Kofi • Mr. Fryman • Mr. Maheswaran • Dr. Maheswaran • Nanafua • Peedee Fryman • Ronaldo Fryman • Sour Cream • Sadie's Mother • Steven Jr. • Suitcase Sam • Yellowtail • Onion
Other: Unnamed Fish • Watermelon Stevens • Baby Melon
Fictional: Dogcopter • Ace • Ace's Father • Foxman • Hopper • Hoppy • Ringo
Rose's Room Creations: • Tiny Floating Whale • Cloud Connie