|This article is about the group. You may be looking for the episode or the defective gem type.|
Gems like us aren't needed.
|—Fluorite in "Off Colors"|
The Off Colors are a group of unaligned Gems who present abnormal physique, behavior, or abilities and have been deemed "defective" and "off-color" by Homeworld's strict standards and caste system. They lived reclusively in an abandoned Homeworld Kindergarten for eons before the site was compromised with the arrival of Steven and Lars. Since defeating Emerald with the help of Stevonnie, Lars and the Off Colors are en route to Earth.
Pre-Series (Eons Ago)
Padparadscha was left behind and disowned after her future vision was revealed to be defective, as she can only see events that have already occurred. Since emerging from their Homeworld Kindergarten, the Rutile Twins were isolated as a result of forming incorrectly, bearing the resemblance of conjoined twins. The twins also remarked that the other Rutiles ran away after seeing their deformed body. Rhodonite and Fluorite were ostracized for being fusions and fled (as Rhodonite's component Pearl and Ruby were even replaced by their Morganite after being caught fusing). These four Gems met each other and remained in hiding in an abandoned Homeworld Kindergarten to avoid being "shattered".
"Off Colors" and "Lars' Head"
Steven and Lars are taken to the Homeworld Kindergarten and meet the Off Colors when the Rutile Twins find them being chased by a Shattering Robonoid. Since then, Shattering Robonoids searched the area for Steven and Lars, eventually making their way into the Off Colors' home. Defending the Off Colors, Lars sacrifices himself and is brought back to life by Steven. Now magical and pink, Lars persuades Steven to return to Earth in order to ensure his safety by going through his new pocket dimension and exiting through Lion. The Off Colors choose to stay with Lars on Homeworld despite his protest.
In Between "Lars' Head" and "Lars of the Stars"
After Steven returned to Earth, the Off Colors figured out a way to escape Homeworld which involved stealing a ship. This was successful due to Lars' ability to slip past Gem scanners undetected. Once off Homeworld, Lars and the Off Colors committed various crimes against Homeworld and its outreaches to make their way to Earth since they were on the run. This included stealing Emerald's personal shuttle and crashing it on Upsilon 9, impersonating imperial officers during a "cosmic jubilee" and taking Emerald's fastest ship (the Sun Incinerator) while sixty-seven elite Citrines guarded it on Klavius 7. According to Lars, Emerald was hunting down the Off Colors since "Sector 4". At some point, Lars also stole a cape. During this time Lars grew as a leader, gained a vast amount of knowledge on space travel, created the Star Skipper and became captain of the Off Colors with each member gaining a position; Padparadscha is the technical adviser, Fluorite is the chief engineer, the Rutile Twins are in charge of maneuvering the Sun Incinerator and Rhodonite is the head of strategic operations; unfortunately this also made them many enemies who answer to Emerald and gave her details of the criminals causing her trouble.
With the Sun Incinerator, Lars and the Off Colors head towards Earth until Emerald tracks them down. During this time, Steven and Connie enter the ship from Lars' pocket dimension in order to give him a package his parents made for him. Emerald vows to destroy them herself, and the Sun Incinerator is able to temporarily escape when traveling at hyperspeed. Lars and the Off Colors tell Steven and Connie that they are very excited to finally reach Earth after all of their travels. Not long after, Emerald is once again able to track down the Sun Incinerator in her imperial warship: the Destiny Destroyer. Lars orders Rhodonite to drop the Sun Incinerator's shields and when Emerald attacks, she misses on purpose because, as Lars mocks, she loves the ship and that it's her best friend. Emerald confirms this and attempts to prevent the Off Colors from escaping instead. Stevonnie travels in the Star Skipper, destroying the Destiny Destroyer's main weapons. Following this, the Destiny Destroyer launches missiles which causes Stevonnie to crash land.
After Stevonnie crash lands, the Off Colors continue looking for them. Stevonnie is able to communicate with them using an old Moon Base communicator allowing Lars and the Off Colors to track them down. Stevonnie and the Off Colors are reunited and the Off Colors continue their trip to Earth without being hunted down.
- Lars Barriga - An ally and member of the Off Colors (after the events of "Lars' Head"). He is now pink and has powers since being resurrected by Steven after his death. Lars later becomes the captain of the Off Colors, taking them on many adventures and committing crimes against Homeworld's regime.
- Fluorite - The presumed original leader of the Off Colors, and a fusion of six Gems.
- Padparadscha - A member, and a defective Sapphire that can only have visions of events slightly in the past.
- Rutile Twins - A member, and a defective Rutile split into two during formation.
- Rhodonite - A member, and a fusion of a Pearl and a Ruby.
- Steven Universe - A member of the Crystal Gems. He promises that Earth is a safe haven for Gems like them.
- Connie Maheswaran - A member of the Crystal Gems. Connie accompanies Steven to Lars (through both Lars' and Lion's wormholes), later fusing into Stevonnie.
- Stevonnie - A fusion of Steven and Connie, who aids Lars on attacking Emerald by destroying her Destiny Destroyer using the Star Skipper. After crash landing on a former Homeworld colony, they are later rescued and sent back to Earth.
- Garnet - The fusion of Ruby and Sapphire, and the current leader of the Crystal Gems, Steven first introduces Garnet to the Off Colors in "Your Mother and Mine". Garnet immediately compliments all of them, but inadvertently makes them all feel uncomfortable.
- In general, the term "off-color" refers to Gems that have flaws and as such are looked down upon by Gem society.
- In "That Will Be All", the Beta Kindergarten Quartz guards employed in Pink Diamond's Zoo (the Jaspers and Carnelian who are members of the "Famethyst") are referred to as "off-colored" by Holly Blue Agate.
- Earlier in production, there were intended to be two more Off Colors, two gray quartzes named Flint and Chert that had a moral detachment to fighting and would thereby go against their intended purposes.
- They were scrapped due to the number of Off Colors being too much and the fact they did not fit in with the other Off Colors in terms of being ostracized not due to the way they are, but rather by what they believe.