|This article is about the moon base orbiting Earth. You may be looking for another moon base.|
Look at this place: frozen in time. An Era 1 base! Her, Era 1 base... It was a tragedy what happened to her...
The Moon Base is an abandoned Era 1 Diamond base on Earth's Moon, built for the use of the Great Diamond Authority, especially Pink Diamond, and other elite-class Gems to plan the colonization of Earth.
The Moon Base is an ancient tower which served as the headquarters for Pink Diamond to plan the colonization of Earth. On the first floor, there are murals of Blue Diamond, Yellow Diamond, Pink Diamond and White Diamond. The second floor is empty apart from a warp-like stream containing a blue spherical object in the middle of the room. The top floor is covered by a geodesic dome that allows a scenic view of Earth. In the center of the room, there is a raised platform with a single chair and a dashboard. The chair has a diamond communicator embedded in its left arm while the right arm has some of the controls used to access the computer and adjust the position of the chair. The top floor has a similar appearance to Yellow Diamond's Control Room.
These are the three known rooms inside the Moon Base.
- Entrance way: This room is at the lowest known level of the Moon Base. The four diamond symbol is depicted on the floor with each of the colors directed toward the mural of one of the four diamonds. The control surface of the staircase is located on a certain tile at the edge of the room and composed a distinct material compared to the surrounding stone floor. Upon activation, it reveals the staircase which leads to the upper levels. The room's only known door leads to the lunar surface with a staircase outside, and it must remain closed to prevent the base's atmosphere from escaping.
- The Mapped Room: This room has patterns of circles on the walls. These patterns bear resemblance to star maps. In "Can't Go Back", the orb in the middle of the room is revealed to be an observation orb which the Diamonds can use in order to observe the activity of their respective colonies from afar.
- The Control Room: This room contains the central computer which holds information relating to the Cluster, the locations of the Kindergartens, as well as Homeworld's plan for the colonization and terraformation of Earth. 14 structures were originally built on Earth, which amounts to 5% of the Homeworld's original colonization plan. Information stored includes the Cluster and blueprints for several other Gem structures including the Lunar Sea Spire, Ancient Sky Arena, Sea Shrine, Sky Spire, Communication Hub, Galaxy Warp, and two other unidentified planned structures.
The Crystal Gems and Peridot traveled to the Moon Base for information on the Cluster's location in Earth. Steven activated the computer on the top floor, allowing Peridot to find it. Before they were about to leave, Steven asked Peridot if the computer had any games. Peridot explained to him that the Diamond's computer is used to contemplate the colony and for other serious purposes. She showed the Crystal Gems the plans for Earth's colonization, which upset them. Garnet destroyed the dashboard, shutting down the computer. When they were leaving, Peridot took the Diamond Communicator with her.
The troop of Rubies assigned by Yellow Diamond go to the base with the goal of filing a report after Jasper, who is really Amethyst in disguise, reveals she's willing to stay on Earth to keep the Crystal Gems under supervision. Eyeball, who was present in the war and in a constant attempt to impress her idol Jasper, reveals to the newest Rubies, Navy and Leggy, the story of how Rose Quartz shattered Pink Diamond. This is news to Steven, who is in extreme shock and denial. However, he's interrupted when the Rubies find the control room's dashboard completely destroyed, and so decide to leave with the promise to report to Yellow Diamond personally. But before they go, Amethyst lets her form restore, revealing the ruse, and the upset Rubies fuse all together to fight the Crystal Gems. However, they're pulled into free space when Steven opens up the airlock and Sardonyx pushes them out with her hammer. Unfortunately, Steven is pulled out with them.
The Moon Base is referenced by Stevonnie as they venture further into the Jungle Moon Base. After seeking refuge from the harsh environment, they have a mysterious dream, in which there is a flashback of an argument between Yellow Diamond and Pink Diamond. After waking up from their dream, Stevonnie decides to explore more of the Jungle Moon Base, realizing that it is extremely identical to the Moon Base, which Steven had already visited prior to the episode. This is why the Jungle Moon Base seems so familiar to Stevonnie; Steven has recognized the significant features that are extremely similar to those of the Moon Base. Stevonnie quickly remembers how to activate the control panel from their dream, and they are able to contact the Sun Incinerator. Stevonnie is able to establish communication with Lars from the control room, and they are able to escape.
Ronaldo finds The Barn situated in a crater on the moon and prompts Steven to take a look at it through his telescope. As Steven peers through the telescope, he notices the barn and quickly takes Lion with him to check on Lapis. Unable to find Lapis in the empty barn, he decides to check the Moon Base and hears a faint humming sound emitted from the second floor of the base. After climbing up to see who it is, he finds Lapis spying on the Earth through a spherical projection device. After inquiring her on why she had not escaped even further away than they already are, she finally admits that she had been spying on them via the sphere, which was supposedly made for the Diamonds so they can easily access the activity of their respective colonies.
Pearl tells Sapphire and Steven a story that begins with her and Pink Diamond observing Amethysts emerging from the Prime Kindergarten via her Observation Orb. When Pink Diamond tells Pearl that she wishes she could be there to greet them as they emerge but observes that this would make Yellow and Blue Diamond angry, Pearl suggests that she take the form of a Quartz herself to do this.
- Despite the base being made by and for Gems, the base appears to have some supply of oxygen as Steven, who is half-human, can breathe there.
- The presence of an atmosphere on a lunar base makes sense from a technical point of view: the atmosphere prevents the vacuum welding of mechanical parts and protects wires from overheating by dissipating the heat. The oxygen as an oxidizing agent is not the best choice, but it is presented in large quantities on the Moon, and can be easily extracted from lunar soil.
- It could also be because in an empty vacuum with no oxygen, there is no sound, which would make verbal communication between Gems impossible.
- This theory could be disproved by the fact that Eyeball can communicate with Steven even outside of his bubble, in the episode "Bubbled".
- Currently, the base has no active warp pad linking the base and Earth. The only way to get to the station from Earth would be to use an alternate means of travel such as a portal created by Lion or a spaceship.
- During a flashback in the episode "Now We're Only Falling Apart", Pearl says that she will have Pink Diamond and herself warped to the Prime Kindergarten at once, revealing that the Moon Base did infact once have a warp pad. It was likely removed during the war to prevent any Crystal Gems from reaching the Moon Base.
- In "Back to the Moon", it is revealed that the Moon Base belonged to Pink Diamond. This technically means it now belongs to Steven since the reveal of Rose Quartz being Pink Diamond.