The Crystal Gems—Garnet, Amethyst, and Pearl—are three of the toughest heroes on Earth. They are also mentors to Steven Universe, a Gem/human hybrid boy whose mother was a great Gem leader. This guide, told from Steven's point-of-view and written by the show's very own creator, Rebecca Sugar, is packed with facts about the Crystal Gems' powers, abilities, and origins. It also includes original art and a special introduction from Rebecca Sugar. This book is a must-have for any Steven Universe fan!
- Publisher: Cartoon Network Books
- Book cover: Hard-Cover
- Grade level: 3-7
- Age Range: 8–12 years
- ISBN-10: 0-8431-8316-0
- ISBN-13: 978-0-8431-8316-0
- The war was exactly 5,500 years ago.
- Rose Quartz's manifesto for the rebellion and Crystal Gems is codified.
- Steven, Jasper, Amethyst and Rose are Quartz-type Gems.
- Unless the two Gems are of the same type, a fusion between two Gems is a completely different Gem.
- Garnet has electric-based powers, a combination of Ruby's heat and Sapphire's cold.
- Rose Quartz's desire to experience childbirth motivated her to have Steven.
- Opal is forgetful, due to her being in such a state of peace.
- Pearl's hair is described as pink.
- Alexandrite's weapon is all of the Crystal Gems' weapons used interchangeably.
- It is not mentioned that Lapis' gem is on Malachite's back.
- Pearl's hair is discolored many times throughout the book.
- Garnet's color palette is incorrect several times throughout the book.
- Ruby and Sapphire's gemstones on Garnet are swapped in a few of the illustrations.
- In many scenes, Garnet is shown with her current regeneration with her old gauntlet design.
- In some parts of the book, when Garnet, Amethyst and Pearl are shown together, they are not all in their post-regeneration forms.