|Season 1, Episode 12|
|Airdate||February 24th, 2014|
|Directed by||Ian Jones-Quartey|
|Storyboard by||Joe Johnston & Jeff Liu|
So Many Birthdays
The episode begins with Pearl and Amethyst playing checkers, and Pearl easily wins the game. Amethyst and Pearl start an argument over why they don't "form Opal" anymore. An excited Steven starts asking questions and Pearl manipulates the sand to form an image of Opal to explain what happens when the two perform a dance-like ritual to combine into a single, more formidable Crystal Gem named Opal. Amethyst interrupts, saying that she doesn't dance like how Pearl showed, and continues it by saying what Opal is like, then Steven wants Pearl and Amethyst to fuse together, but is interrupted as Steven notices that Garnet has returned from her mission. At the house, Garnet tells the other gems and Steven to go to the Sky Spire and retrieve the Heaven Beetle while she goes and retrieves the Earth Beetle, telling Steven to keep the harmony between Pearl and Amethyst. At the Sky Spire, Steven keeps pestering his friends with trivial questions about how the fusion works and sings about his desire to see them combine into a giant woman. Pearl explains that they only fuse together when there is an emergency. During the trip, Steven finds a mountain goat, and names him Steven Jr.
Eventually, the trio and Steven Jr. come across an area of small platform-like islands, then Amethyst throws Steven onto one of the platforms. The two begin messing around on it, then Steven falls, causing Pearl and Amethyst to work together to save Steven. Eventually, after reaching the top of the spire,the Heaven Beetle seemed to be missing from its home. Pearl and Amethyst start to argue again, and suddenly the trio is attacked by a giant bird, which eats Steven Jr. Pearl then attempts to throw her spear at the bird, but the bird eats it. The trio then runs into the nearby dome, and Steven encourages Pearl and Amethyst to fuse into Opal. Pearl and Amethyst then attempt to fuse together, with Pearl dancing gracefully and Amethyst dancing in a funky, unique style. The fusion fails, and then the giant bird's mouth breaks in through the roof, and eats Steven. When inside the bird, Steven finds Steven Jr. chewing on the Heaven Beetle. Steven manages to get the Heaven Beetle out of Steven Jr.'s mouth and puts it in his pocket. Several arms punch into the bird's stomach and drag Steven out, and he finds that his savior is none other than Opal: Pearl and Amethyst put aside their bickering in order to save him. With its stomach ruptured the bird splits into multiple small birds. Opal then fuses Amethyst and Pearl's weapons together into a bow, and uses it to defeat all of the smaller birds. Steven was so astonished that he doesn't know Opal after being a little shy, until she says the lyric "All you wanna do, is see me turn into...", recognizing the giant woman he is looking for.
Opal and Steven then warps back to the house. When Garnet asks about the Heaven Beetle, Opal silently says she doesn't have it and the two gems separate again then start arguing about why they forgot the Heaven Beetle. Steven stops the argument by taking the Heaven Beetle out of his pocket and giving it to Garnet, as she puts it into a bug cage with the Earth Beetle, and she then bubbles it. As the episode closes by Garnet telling Steven that he will be great at fusing one day, the star-shaped iris closes in on Steven, but zooms out when Steven freaks out when he hears that he can fuse with other Gems.
- It is shown that the gems, including Steven, can fuse to form a more powerful gem.
- It is shown that Pearl has the ability to manipulate sand.
- It is stated that Garnet is the the only gem that has the ability to swim in lava.
- There is a Game Boy Color and a Sega Genesis in the Heaven Beetle's room
- Opal is the first Crystal gem that has a precious gem as a name. Garnet, Amethyst, Pearl, and Rose Quartz are all semi-precious stones.
- This is the first episode not to completely end with a star-sharped iris as Steven questions how he can fuse with other Gems interrupting it. This will happen again in Lion 2: The Movie and Coach Steven.
- This is the first episode in which Garnet bubbled something, but didn't eject it.
- Opal looks extremely similar to Nabooru from Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998).
- It is unknown if the gems actually kept the Earth and Heaven Beetle.
- It is indicated that Pearl may have had a less serious personality at a point in time when Amethyst says "You're no fun anymore."
- The fact that they require to dance, in order to fuse, is very similar to the technique, "Fusion Dance", introduced, as well as used in Dragon Ball Z.
- When Pearl and Amethyst were arguing, a shot of their legs could be seen and Pearl's leg color was tan instead of white, But this could be because of the shade.
- When Pearl and Amethyst were playing checkers, Amethyst had 6 pieces, but when Pearl said she won, Amethyst only had 5, and when it shifted to both of them, there were 7.
Click here to view the gallery.
|Season 1||Gem Glow • Laser Light Cannon • Cheeseburger Backpack • Together Breakfast • Frybo • Cat Fingers • Bubble Buddies • Serious Steven • Tiger Millionaire • Steven's Lion • Arcade Mania • Giant Woman • So Many Birthdays • Lars and the Cool Kids • Onion Trade • Steven the Sword Fighter • Lion 2: The Movie • Beach Party • Rose's Room • Coach Steven • Joking Victim • Steve and the Stevens • An Indirect Kiss • Monster Buddies • Mirror Gem • Ocean Gem • House Guest • Space Race • Keep Beach City Weird! • Fusion Crime • Secret Team • Lion 3: Straight to Video • Island Adventure • Alone Together • Watermelon Steven • Garnet's Universe • Warp Tour • The Test • Future Vision • On the Run • Beach City Horror Club • Maximum Capacity • Winter Forecast • Marble Madness • Rose's Secrets • Open Book • Shirt Club • Story for Steven • The Message • Political Power • The Return • Jail Break|