Steven, I see so many things that can hurt you...I should never have let one of them be me...
Garnet is the tallest of the Crystal Gems, standing at about 7 feet, and most muscular member of the Crystal Gems. She has dark pinkish-brown or bright-maroon skin and curly soft black hair that is styled into a cube-shaped afro. She almost always wears triangular futuristic shades that cover all three of her eyes (two of which are located where human's eyes normally are are, with the left being reddish-magenta, the right being navy blue, and one violet eye in the middle of her forehead).
She wears a black and crimson bodysuit with cube shoulder pads (one being magenta, the other one being crimson) and a pink star with a magenta outline on her chest. She also wears long black gloves that cover her middle fingers. Her gem-stones are garnets embedded in her palms.
In "Beach Party" Garnet wears a two piece with a dark red top with a pink outline and a red colorized, black slant skirt that stops a little above her knees as her casual wear.
PersonalityGarnet has a calm, focused, and stoic demeanor, and rarely speaks more than a few words at a time. She is the most in touch with the energy of the universe and uses this to summon her weapon. Though she's often the most stable member and a mentor to Steven, Garnet tends to act on intuition rather than seriously analyze a situation. For the most part, this works out well, but it has lead to some disastrous outcomes. She loses her usual stoic demeanor when Steven began rapidly aging in "So Many Birthdays" and starts violently shaking him, she makes the poorly planned decision of fusing with Amethyst to form Sugilite in "Coach Steven", and creates an overly-exaggerated story while speaking to Connie's Mother over the phone in "Fusion Cuisine".
While mostly level-headed, she occasionally demonstrates a fierce competitive spirit. This is best seen while playing volleyball, Steven Tag, and arcade games. As the defacto leader, Garnet is often the peacemaker of the Crystal Gems, especially when Pearl and Amethyst start going at each other. She commands a large degree of respect from her team, but can be angered if not listened to or if an order from her has been disobeyed, as shown in the episode "Mirror Gem".
AbilitiesAll Gems have the ability to summon a weapon, shapeshift, and retreat into their gems after becoming injured to heal. When Garnet activates her gem, she summons her weapon, gauntlets. She also appears to have telekinetic abilities. Garnet can fuse with Amethyst to form Sugilite, shown in "Coach Steven", and fuse with Pearl and Amethyst to fuse Alexandrite, shown in "Fusion Cuisine". In "Cheeseburger Backpack", it is stated that she is able to sense structural integrity. In "Arcade Mania", it was shown that she can summon her shades at any time and has the ability to generate electricity. According to Pearl, Garnet's ability to foresee emergency situations makes her the de-facto leader, and it seems this power is connected to her third eye. In the episode "Giant Woman" it is revealed that she can swim in lava, and is the only Gem of the group with this ability. She also seems to have some tolerance towards pain as shown in "So Many Birthdays", when Amethyst hit her with a baseball bat and she didn't show signs of pain. This is also proven in "Future Vision" when Lars is shown spilling boiling coffee all over her and she merely shrugs it off. In "Keep Beach City Weird" she is shown shapeshifting, having turned into a copy of Steven along with Amethyst. In "Watermelon Steven" She shoots her gauntlets off her hands like rockets. In "Future Vision", she can see multiple future outcomes and probabilities with her third eye and deflect lightning. In "Winter Forecast", it is revealed that Garnet can temporarily pass on her future vision ability to others through lip contact.
Steven respects Garnet as a leader and a responsible older sister figure. In return, Garnet tends to have more faith in Steven's plans and ideas than Amethyst and Pearl. She also protects him from their antics and bickering. She rarely gets mad at Steven, unless he disobeys an order.
While Amethyst is seen to chafe at being told what to do, she will follow orders from Garnet. This shows that Amethyst respects Garnet's leadership abilities and judgment.
Like Amethyst and Steven, Pearl respects Garnet's leadership abilities. While she is occasionally patronizing and condescending to the other Gems, Pearl treats Garnet as an equal.
See Garnet's Quotes.
- It is speculated that Garnet is a gem fusion that has become permanent, evidence for this includes:
- Garnet has two gems on separate hands and she activates two coloured gems on the temple door.
- Garnet has heterochromia (her eyes are a different colour). As well as being the cause of her having a third eye.
- She is the tallest of all the gems seen so far (and almost as tall as Opal), her gem fusions make the fusion excessively tall.
- Garnets the gemstone are not made up of a single mineral but a composite.
- Rebecca Sugar hinted in her Reddit AMA that the secrets behind the blue gem on the temple door and Garnet having two gems may be revealed later on in Season 2.
- Garnet is the birthstone of January.
- The gem on her left hand has a square-shaped facet and the gem on her right hand has a triangular-shaped facet.
- Garnet is a deep-red or burgundy gem similar to the stones she has on both of her palms.
- Garnets are one of the few gemstones that naturally come in multiple colors. These colors include, but are not limited to: red, burgundy, green, and violet.
- There are blue garnets, but they are incredibly rare.
- When going into the temple, Garnet activates a red and blue gem. Both are likely garnets, since garnet can rarely come in a blue variety.
- In gemstone mythos, garnets are known as stones that provide protection to their users from evil.
- "Frybo" is the first episode that neither Garnet nor Amethyst appeared in. "Joking Victim" is the second episode that Garnet nor Pearl appeared in.
- In the transition from the pilot to the series, Garnet underwent minor changes. Among these changes are:
- Removal of gold ring around gems.
- Straight black hair to cubed black afro.
- Golden gauntlets to red gauntlets.
- Gray/black tights to red/black tights.
- Dark red shades to light shades.
- Top part of bodysuit simplified and bodysuit color changed (from purplish-red and grey to crimson and black).
- High heel pumps to flats covered by her bodysuit.
- Garnet wears her shades to cover up a third eyeball on her forehead.
- Garnet has complete heterochromia, which means each of her eyes are a different color.
- The top eye being purple, the right eye navy blue, and the left eye dark red, which are some of the colors a garnet can exhibit, with dark red being the most common, purple uncommon, and blue rare.
- The third eye is a mystical and esoteric concept referring to a speculative invisible eye which provides perception beyond ordinary sight. This may be the reason Garnet is a very skilled fighter.
- This could also be why Garnet has future vision.
- The color of Garnet's eyes coincide with the color scheme of the other two full Crystal Gems (excluding Steven as he is part human). The top eye is purple (Amethyst is purple), the right eye is navy blue (Pearl is pale blue in color scheme), and the third eye is red (Garnet has a red colour scheme).
- Her two 'normal eyes' also contribute to the colour of the third eye, as blue and red create purple.
- Garnet is the only known non-fusion Crystal Gem with two gems.
- Garnet believes that violence can solve most things as shown when she tried to help Steven in "So Many Birthdays" by shaking him.
- Garnet has the ability to move in bullet-time motion (the matrix), most likely due to her third eye.
- In an interview with Estelle (the voice actor for Garnet), she says that Garnet sings a couple songs and that a song is coming up.
- Garnet is seen shape shifting for the first time in "Steven and the Stevens".
- Garnet seems to be very intolerant to arguing, as shown in "An Indirect Kiss", she aggressively launched a rock through thick bramble when Pearl's overexertion caused her and Amethyst to argue.
- In "Fusion Cuisine", Garnet is apparently bad at socializing with strangers, as shown when she panicked when talking to Connie's mother.
- This trait could've also contributed to Alexandrite's social awkwardness in said episode.
- According to Rebecca Sugar, Garnet's fighting and dancing style is based off of waacking.
- It is revealed in "Warp Tour" that Garnet can summon her gauntlets and is able to control the size, similar to that in "Garnet's Universe".
- Upon closer examination, when she was summoning her gauntlets, her gloves merged with her gauntlet.
- "Alone Together" marks the first time Garnet was openly-expressive, as she is shown grinning excessively.
- It is revealed that Garnet is heat resistant.
- In "Giant Woman", it is stated that Garnet can survive lava, even stating she was the only gem who could swim all the way to the bottom of a lava lake.
- In "Future Vision", Garnet appears to have a strong resistance to many things; lightning deflection and being unaffected by the heat of scalding coffee - in which she simply shrugs off.
- In "Future Vision" It is revealed that Garnet can see possible outcomes of an event or circumstance.
- This is possibly because of her third eye.
- It is revealed in "Winter Forecast" that Garnet can temporarily transfer her vision abilities to others through kiss/physical contact.
Learn more about the garnet gemstone here.
Click here to view the gallery.
| || || || |
|Characters in Steven Universe|
Peedee Fryman • Ronaldo Fryman • Mr. Fryman • Mr. Smiley • Jenny Pizza • Kiki • Kofi • Mr. Maheswaran • Dr. Maheswaran • Yellowtail • Nanafua • Jamie • Sour Cream • Buck Dewey • Mayor Bill Dewey • Tiny Floating Whale • Steven Jr. • Suitcase Sam • Ace • Ace's Father • Greg's Uncle • Greg's Aunt • Foxman • Hopper • Hoppy • Ringo • Baby Melon • Watermelon Stevens • Sadie's Mother • Dogcopter • Kevin • Unnamed Fish • Raccoon