|Friends|| Amethyst |
|Enemies|| Lapis Lazuli|
|Current Residence||Crystal Temple|
|Latest Appearance||"Island Adventure"|
Garnet is the tallest and most muscular member of the Crystal Gems. She has dark magenta skin and curly black hair that is styled into a cube-shaped afro. She almost always wears triangular futuristic shades that cover all three of her eyes (two where a human's eyes are, with the left being magenta, the right being blue, and one violet eye in the middle of her forehead). She wears a black and red bodysuit with cube shoulder pads and a pink star with a magenta outline on her chest. She also wears long black gloves that cover her middle fingers. Her gem-stones are garnets embedded in her palms.
Garnet has a calm, stoic demeanor and rarely speaks more than a few words at a time. She is the most in touch with the energy of the universe and uses this to summon her weapon. She is the most stable member and is a mentor to Steven. Though at the same time, she is shown being fairly emotional in certain situations. Losing her usual stoic demeanor when Steven began rapidly aging in "So Many Birthdays," due to the possibility of him aging to the point of dying from it. It is shown in the episode "Mirror Gem" that she can be angered easily if not listened to or an order from her has been disobeyed. She also seems to loose her calm demeanor when her shades are forced off of her face.
All Gems have the ability to summon a weapon, shapeshift, and retreat into their gems after becoming injured to heal. When Garnet activates her Gem, she summons her weapon, gauntlets. She also appears to have psychokinetic abilities. Garnet can fuse with Amethyst to form Sugilite, shown in "Coach Steven." In "Cheeseburger Backpack," it is stated that she is able to sense structural integrity. In "Arcade Mania", it was shown that she can summon her shades at any time and has the ability to generate electricity. According to Pearl, Garnet's ability to foresee emergency situations makes her the de-facto leader, and it seems this power is connected to her third eye. In the episode "Giant Woman" it is revealed that she can swim in lava, and is the only Gem of the group with this ability. She also seems to have some tolerance towards pain, as shown in "So Many Birthdays", Amethyst hit her with a baseball bat and didn't show signs of pain.
Steven respects Garnet as a leader and a responsible older sister figure. In return, Garnet tends to have more faith in Steven's plans and ideas than Amethyst and Pearl. She also protects him from their antics and bickering. She rarely gets mad at Steven, unless he disobeys an order.
While Amethyst is seen to chafe at being told what to do, she will follow orders from Garnet. This shows that Amethyst respects Garnet's leadership abilities and judgment.
Like Amethyst and Steven, Pearl respects Garnet's leadership abilities. While she is occasionally patronizing and condescending to the other Gems, Pearl treats Garnet as an equal.
See Garnet's Quotes
- Garnet is the birthstone of January.
- The Gem on her left hand has a square-shaped facet and the Gem on her right hand has a triangular-shaped facet.
- Garnet is a deep-red or burgundy gem similar to the stones she has on both of her palms.
- Garnet's are one of the few gemstones that naturally come in multiple colors. These colors include, but are not limited to: red, burgundy, green, and violet.
- When going into the temple, Garnet activates a red and blue gem. Both are likely garnets, since garnet can come in a blue variety.
- In gemstone mythos, garnets are known as stones that provide protection to their users from evil.
- "Frybo" is the first episode that neither Garnet nor Amethyst appeared in. "Joking Victim" is the second episode that Garnet nor Pearl appeared in.
- In the transition from the pilot to the series, Garnet underwent minor change. Among these changes are:
- Removal of gold ring around gems
- Straight black hair to cubed black afro
- Golden gauntlets to red gauntlets
- Gray/black tights to red/black tights
- Dark red shades to light shades
- Top part of bodysuit simplified
- High heel pumps to flats covered by her bodysuit
- Garnet wears her shades to cover up a third eyeball on her forehead.
- Garnet has complete heterochromia, which means each of her eyes are a different color. The top eye being purple, the right eye navy blue, and the left eye (incidentally) garnet.
- The color of Garnet's eyes coincide with the color scheme of the other two full Crystal Gems (excluding Steven as he is part human). The top eye is purple (Amethyst is purple), the right eye is navy blue (Pearl is pale blue in color scheme), and the third eye is Garnet.
- Garnet, Sugilite, and Opal are the only known Crystal Gems with two gems.
- Garnet is the only known gem able to swim through lava and conjure and freely manipulate electricity.
- Garnet believes that violence can solve most things as shown when she tried to help Steven in "So Many Birthdays" by shaking him.
- The third eye is a mystical and esoteric concept referring to a speculative invisible eye which provides perception beyond ordinary sight. This may be the reason Garnet is a very skilled fighter.
- Garnet has the ability to move in bullet-time motion (the matrix), most likely due to her third eye.
- Rebecca Sugar hinted in her Reddit AMA that the secrets behind the blue gem on the temple door and Garnet having two gems may be revealed later on in Season 2.
- In an interview with Estelle (the voice actor for Garnet), she says that Garnet sings a couple songs and that a song is coming up.
- Garnet is seen shape shifting for the first time in "Steven and the Stevens."
- Garnet is seen shapeshiftingg again in "Secret Team"
- Garnet is seen shape shifting into a humanoid form: Steven, in "Keep Beach City Weird!"
- Garnet seems to be very intolerant to arguing, as shown in "An Indirect Kiss", she aggresively launched a rock through thick thorns when Pearl's overexertion caused her and Amethyst to argue.
Click here to view the gallery.
| || || || |
|Characters in Steven Universe|