|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the instrumental song.|
I see so many things that can hurt you. I should never have let one of them be me.
The episode begins with Steven cleaning up his room. He is replacing old toys and games with new ones, assuring himself that he has grown up and is a "big boy". As he walks down the stairs, Steven slips on a tennis ball and falls. However, before he hits the ground, Garnet catches him in her arms. Steven states that her being there was very lucky, but Garnet responds that luck had nothing to do with it. Steven presses her for more information, but Garnet hesitates to answer. Eventually, Garnet gives in and tells Steven that she has the ability to see into the future. Steven asks about her powers, but Garnet is unsure of how to explain it to Steven. Garnet tries to explain the complexity of her powers using an example of a boat on a river with many deltas. She states that she steers the ship down the path that she thinks is best.
Later, Steven and Garnet are exercising. Eventually, Garnet gets tired of it and smashes the radio playing the music. Steven asks Garnet if she knows what he will have for breakfast. She states that Steven will probably go to the Big Donut since he is already outside. Impressed, Steven asks if there is a future where Garnet accompanies him. Thinking about it, Garnet complies. At the Big Donut, Steven asks more trivial questions regarding his future, which Garnet answers with ease. However, when Garnet tells Steven that there is a future where Lars gives him a high five, he runs over to him. Lars is startled and drops a coffee pot, and it falls toward Steven. Garnet blocks the coffee with her body, shielding Steven from danger. Slightly deterred, Steven and Garnet go down the boardwalk.
On the boardwalk, Steven asks if he could die from eating fry bits. Garnet lists some ways he could die in a comical fashion, which Steven takes to heart. Succumbing to paranoia, he begins to fear everything around him, quickly going home.
At the house, Steven is making a sandwich with extreme caution, wearing a bicycle helmet. He jumps when Garnet asks Steven if he is okay. She asks him why he's wearing a helmet, and he says that he never knows when he'll go on a bike ride. His fear renders him unable to even pick up the knife to make his sandwich. As he finds another way, the Crystal Gems go on a mission leaving Steven alone. Before leaving, Garnet tells Steven to stay off the roof at all costs. While they are gone, it begins to rain, and Steven begins to think of more ways he could die. He confronts his emotions and decides to go onto the roof.
As soon as he reaches the top, the Warp Pad activates, and Garnet runs out to confront Steven. Steven states that his destiny cannot be avoided and that being on the roof was fate, because everything he did no matter what, could shove him towards the end. Garnet replies that she told Steven about her powers, even though she knew what would happen, to help them become closer. She takes off her visor, revealing her third eye, telling her that she sees so many things that can hurt him, but she shouldn't have let one of them become her. Garnet pleads with Steven to see reason, and says that there are millions of possibilities for the future, but it's up to him to choose which becomes reality. Steven begins to agree cautiously when he comes back to his senses. He climbs off the roof and embraces Garnet, saying he could watch out for himself from now on. As they hug, Garnet deflects a lightning bolt having seen it coming from the sky, protecting Steven from being struck from it. Steven inquires what happened, but Garnet assures him it was nothing.
- Warp Pad
- Garnet's statement "I drink coffee for breakfast!" is a reference to the common phrase "I eat/drink X (such as nails) for breakfast", used to exaggerate toughness.
- It is revealed that Garnet has "future vision", more commonly known as precognition. It was hinted in "Arcade Mania" by Amethyst and Pearl, but Garnet had yet to confirm it until now. It is also probably the reason why Garnet was so good at the Meat Beat Mania game.
- Steven making a sandwich of lettuce, sliced cheese, and mayonnaise is a reference to one of Rebecca Sugar's more well-known animated shorts - "Singles". The short is about a character who experiences extreme anxiety, which may be a reason Rebecca made a reference to the short in this episode.
- The bear that Steven has is a reference to Kanye West and his mascot Dropout Bear. Garnet's reaction to it is possibly a reference to the song "American Boy", on which her voice actress Estelle collaborated with West.
- Many of Steven's toys are references to characters in other media:
- Steven's posters parody actual franchises such as:
- There is a coffee mug with the newer Cartoon Network logo on it in Steven's room.
- When Steven is talking to his toys on his right, you can see his Gamecube controller. It also appeared in "Fusion Cuisine" and "House Guest".
- The scene where Garnet and Steven do a workout together is a parody of "Korean National Gymnastics" (국민체조). The song in the scene was also in Korean. It says, "Let's work out. One, two, two, two, three, two, four, two...".
- Garnet's Future Vision is based on an event's quantum probability as per Quantum Mechanics.
- The background animations during Steven's imaginary deaths are reminiscent of the background animations in Toejam and Earl.
- The wasps that attack Steven in his imagination resemble Beedrill from Pokémon.
- The chandelier that Steven imagines falling on him is reminiscent of a scene in The Phantom of the Opera.
- The way Steven turns into a skeleton in his imaginary deaths is a nod to the way Arthur dies in Capcom's Ghosts 'n' Goblins series.
- Steven's figurines from "Steven the Sword Fighter" return in this episode.
- Cookie Cat makes a cameo as an irrational, yet "possible" cause of Steven's death.
- Garnet tells Steven that he might be able to get a high-five from Lars. Steven is quite excited, since he's wanted an actual high-five from Lars since "Lars and the Cool Kids".
- The wasps that attack Steven reappear in "Say Uncle".
- When Steven's toys were scattered all over the floor, M.C. Bear Bear was not there, but in the next scene, Garnet is seen picking it up.
- The Ninja Squad poster is not on Steven's wall in previous episodes.
- When Steven closes the door after it opens by itself, the wall had 2 light switches. In the next scene, there is only one light switch.
- When the door opens by itself, it opens inward, but later in the episode - when Garnet exits the house - it opens outward.
- When Steven hugs Garnet, the handle of the door is on the left side, while earlier in the episode, it is on the right.
View the episode's transcript here.