|This article is about the location. You may be looking for the song.|
What happens in Empire City, never sleeps.
Empire City is a metropolis located in the Empire State, next to the state of Jersey. It was first mentioned in "Story for Steven", and it was Greg's next stop on his Mr. Universe Tour before his falling-out with Marty. In "Same Old World", Lapis and Steven flew over the city while they were exploring various locations on Earth. Steven came here with Pearl and his father Greg for a vacation in "Mr. Greg", where they sojourned at the prestigious hotel Le Hotel.
- It is the first major city featured in the show.
- Empire City is the show equivalent of New York City, but it also incorporates elements of Paris and Las Vegas.
- "Empire City" is a common nickname for New York City. The name has been used for many other fictional cities based on or referencing New York.
- The slogan "What happens in Empire City, never sleeps" is a combination of the respective popular slogans of New York and Las Vegas.
- Real-world landmarks appear to exist in Empire City, including the Empire State Building and Times Square. There is also a notable building that resembles the Eiffel Tower - this could alternatively reference the tower at Paris Las Vegas.
- Real-world boroughs and neighborhoods appear to exist in Empire City, including Brooklyn and The Bowery, both mentioned in the episode "Mr. Greg".
- Issue 1 of the Steven Universe comic series reveals that the city has a Wildlife rehabilitation center.