The show consists of various breakfast items who are constantly crying. At first their reason for crying is unknown, until in "Cry for Help" it is revealed that the characters may cry whenever mishaps occur (such as ice cream falling onto the floor) or when something good happens (such as when Sad Spoon forgave Crying Pear).
| Tears of sorrow, tears of joy|
There'll be tears to the very end
Food with feelings:
Crying Breakfast Friends!
Crying Breakfast Friends
- Sad Apple
- Sniffling Croissant (mentioned in "Reformed")
- Crying Pear
- Spilled Milk
- Glum Glass
- Sad Waffle
- Crying Egg (mentioned in "Keep Beach City Weird")
- Weeping Egg Cup
- Pining Grapefruit (mentioned in "Reformed")
- Sad Spoon
- Bawling Bacon
Angry Lunch Enemies
- Hamburger (official name unknown) (shown in "Steven Reacts")
- Toast (official name unknown) (shown in "Steven Reacts")
- Pizza (official name unknown) (shown in "Steven Reacts")
Both Greg and the Gems have been shown to dislike the show and express confusion at Steven's love of it. In "Reformed", Amethyst states "who wants to watch a cartoon about people crying?", and in "Cry for Help" Garnet responds with "not really" when Steven describes what they watched as a good episode. Despite this, they still make an effort to watch it with Steven, and he does try to explain it to them.
Steven himself appears to enjoy the show, owning stickers of the various characters and a Sad Pear toy, as well as partaking in "Which Character Are You?" quizzes.
A brief clip of the show appears on TV in this episode. It depicts a mural display of Crying Breakfast Friends.
Steven identifies deactivated warp pads with Crystal Gems at the Galaxy Warp by placing Crying Breakfast stickers on them. Later on the show is played on Greg's TV by the car wash in which he says cartoons have changed and he's starting to feel old.
Peridot flees the Galaxy Warp fearing the Sad Waffle sticker is a sign the site was invaded. She proceeds to take the sticker with her using it as evidence and then uses her Plug EMP to disable all her Flask Robonoids.
Steven is shown with a Sad Pear toy in the episode.
Peridot furiously shows the Crystal Gems the Sad Waffle sticker and questions if they were the ones who put it on the Homeworld warp, to which she gets no answer. It appears to have been used as evidence against them and she believes that this is their symbol of alliance.
Steven tries to get the Crystal Gems and Greg to take a personality test relating to the Crying Breakfast Friends. Sniffling Croissant, Weeping Egg Cup, Pining Grapefruit and Spilled Milk are mentioned by name with some details of their characters.
Steven tries to watch the show multiple times with Garnet and Amethyst, but to his dismay Peridot's distress signal keeps interrupting the show. One of the episodes Steven watches is about Crying Pear lying to Sad Spoon, upsetting her; however, Sad Spoon forgives Crying Pear in the end. This is a reference to how Pearl lied to Garnet so that they could fuse, foreshadowing that Garnet becomes upset, but forgives Pearl (Pear) in the end. There is also, perhaps, a coincidental similarity between the names Pearl and Pear. When Pearl and Garnet silently passed each other at the end of the episode, Amethyst contemplates that it would be great if issues in real life were easily solved as how they are in cartoons, referencing Crying Breakfast Friends!.
- Crying Breakfast Friends! is a reference to the show Steven Universe itself. Before the complex plot began to surface, it is commonly criticized because older audiences claimed to not understand the show.
- Following this, the Crying Breakfast Friends! characters are references to the Crystal Gems and other characters in the show:
- The Steven Universe crew released a model sheet which reveals that the Breakfast Friends were once planned to appear in "Gem Glow". These early friends included a spoon and a glass of milk. However, only the apple is actually crying.
- Steven used the stickers at the Galaxy Warp to mark which warp pads weren't working during "Space Race".
- Peridot believed the Crystal Gems' symbol is Sad Waffle, in "Marble Madness".
- On Ronaldo's blog, he rants about a crossover between the Crying Breakfast Friends! and the Inter-Dimensional Family Friend.
- This is a fictional reference to the real world Steven Universe - Uncle Grandpa crossover, "Say Uncle", Ronaldo's reactions mirror those of many in the Steven Universe fanbase including the initial skepticism at its announcement and the events that occurred within the episode.
- The character, Inter-Dimensional Family Friend, is a reference to Uncle Grandpa.
- One of the characters, Crying Pear, is featured in the Steven Bomb 3 promotional image, representing the episode "Cry for Help".
- The Crying Breakfast Friends! episode in "Cry for Help" is about Crying Pear lying to Sad Spoon, which upsets her. This foreshadows Pearl's lies later in the episode, further showing the symbolic use of the cartoon.
- Steven also points out how Sad Spoon forgives Crying Pear for lying to them. He then asks her if she would forgive Crying Pear after which she shrugs. This is symbolic of how Garnet is initially unwilling to forgive Pearl.
- Pear is voiced by Deedee Magno-Hall, who also voices Pearl.
- Spoon is voiced by Estelle, who also voices Garnet.