"Cooking with Lion" is a short initially released on iTunes, then later released on Cartoon Network's official Youtube channel.
Lion and Steven Universe star on an educational video on their show, "Cooking with Lion". In this video, Steven, talking for the host, Lion, while creating the recipe himself as the assistant, guides the viewers step-by-step on how to create Snack Sushi which is, in Steven's words, "a great dish to make if you're going to have friends over who don't like the taste of raw fish," and in Lion's words, a great dish to have "if somebody has already eaten all of your tuna." Steven comments that Lion did eat a lot of tuna, threw it up all over Steven's shoes afterward, and how it was needed in the recipe, but regardless, he has found a secret replacement so the video can begin.
Steven visually demonstrates the steps into creating the recipe and talks as Lion by audibly giving the instructions. This continues until the recipe is finished. Steven tries one of the sushi himself until Lion pushes him aside for the recipe himself, leaving nothing left on the plate. The video then shows the ingredients and promotes their other recipes, Together Breakfast and Dog-Nuts, with Cookie Cat coming soon.
- 1 avocado
- hot sauce
- Sushi rice
- 2 sheets of Nori
- 1 bag of smooth cheese puffs
- Step 1 (The avocado slices)
- Use a spoon to cut vertical slices into the avocado. Run the spoon along the inside of the skin and transfer the cut slices to a plate.
- Step 2 (The mayonnaise and hot sauce combo)
- In a bowl, combine the mayonnaise and chosen hot sauce and mix them together into its own taste.
- Step 3 (The sushi rolls)
- On a bamboo rolling mat, place a sheet of seaweed paper rough-side up and, using a paddle or spatula, spread the sushi rice onto the seaweed paper.
- Step 4 (Lining the avocado slices)
- Line up the avocado slices from earlier onto the sushi rice.
- Step 5 (The secret ingredient)
- Steven presents the secret ingredient he mentioned earlier: Cheese puffs. Same as step 4, line them up along the sushi rice with the avocado slices.
- Step 6 (Rolling it up)
- Use the bamboo mat to roll the sushi roll into a cylinder shape.
- Step 7 (Cutting the slices)
- Cut the roll into six equally sized pieces so it can be consumed in one bite easily.
- Step 8 (The finishing touch)
- Dip the mixed sauce from earlier onto the top of each piece of sushi and garnish the plate with its own independent sauce for artistry.
- The entire short is a reference to the channel "Cooking With Dog" from YouTube.
- A bottle resembling Huy Fong's Sriracha sauce, also known as "rooster sauce", is seen on the front table.
- The Chee-Z ThangZ cheese puff snacks resemble real life snack food, Cheetos.
- The end of the video advertises future instructions on making Cookie Cats, which Steven likley learned to make in response to the ice cream sandwich being discontinued in "Gem Glow".
- While Lion was watching Steven perform step 8, his bow was gone.
View the episode's transcript here.