I'm not going to let you stand there and remind me about everything I hate about myself!
"Amethyst" is a main protagonist in Steven Universe. Made on Earth as a part of the Gem Homeworld's Kindergarten project, Amethyst is one of the last surviving Gems on Earth who was born before the Crystal Gems rebelled against their Homeworld to stop their invasion of the planet. Having joined the Crystal Gems, Amethyst helped her friends protect the Earth over the next five millennia, for then later to aid in the tutelage of Steven Universe, Rose Quartz's son.
Amethyst has long, very pale, light-purple hair which covers her left eye. She has plump lips with pale and bright plum-colored skin, and a heavier build than the other Crystal Gems. Her gemstone is an amethyst, which is embedded in her chest. She is slightly taller than Steven, but shorter than the other Crystal Gems.
She wears a dark mauve, off-shoulder tunic with a black tank top underneath, black leggings with a star shape cut out on her knees, a smaller rip above the cut out on the left leg, and white ankle boots.
In "Beach Party", she wears a dark violet tank top, pale green fanny pack, lavender shorts, and has her hair in a ponytail. She also goes barefoot.
Much like other characters, Amethyst had a different design in the Pilot. She had more messy hair, worn by a star-shaped gold hair-clip, wore a long-sleeved purple sweater, black tank top underneath, dull yellow fanny pack, leggings with poorly-cut circles, and fold-over ankle boots.
Amethyst is fun and care-free. Loud and full of laughter, she finds everything amusing, but can be very emotional and isn't afraid to act on impulse.
She is also shown to be a comic-relief. She has overall bad manners, including chewing with her mouth open and picking her nose. She doesn't like her things to be neat, as shown when Pearl cleans up her room, only for her to make it a mess again in "Together Breakfast" and claims to have a system for it. Her over-protectiveness of her piles of junk in her room, a lot of it which is broken, old and/or useless (like the five-years old burrito she kept until she eventually ate it in "So Many Birthdays"), marks her as somewhat of a hoarder. Her hoarding tendencies once again surface in "Maximum Capacity" where she is unwilling to let Greg throw away anything in his storage unit and end up bringing most the contents of it back to her room in the Crystal Temple.
In relation to Steven, she tends to indulge him more and partake in activities with him. She is the Crystal Gem who is the hardest to crack in emotional situations, though at times she has shown to have a major concern for Steven, such as in "So Many Birthdays" where she was very worried about him aging. She seems to love eating and sleeping, as she has been seen eating and/or resting far more than the other Gems (even though Gems don't need to eat or sleep). In "On the Run" Amethyst reveals to Steven, that unlike Garnet, Pearl, and Rose, Amethyst did not originate from the Gem Homeworld. Instead she was created in a canyon-like area the Gems call Kindergarten (she's not from space, but from Earth). Fortunately the Gems shut it down, and Amethyst was recruited afterwards. Due of her dark past, she bares a tremendous amount of self-hatred and sometimes feels out of place among the other Gems despite maintaining a cheerful, happy go-lucky personality.
Like all Gems, Amethyst can shapeshift, summon a weapon, and retreat to her gemstone to regenerate.
When activating her gemstone, she summons an energy whip. She can fuse with Pearl to form Opal, Garnet to form Sugilite, along with Garnet and Pearl to form Alexandrite. Amethyst currently has the least amount of unique abilities out of all the Crystal Gems.
- Weapon Proficiency: Whip. With nonchalance, Amethyst is able to summon her gem weapon, a three-tailed purple whip. Amethyst is a skilled whip user and mixes very well with her immense strength. She is skilled enough to actually nearly defeat Pearl in a one on one battle, if it were not for Steven. At times, she uses her whip to lash at opponents and cause damage that is strong enough to easily split a dumpster in half. Her lashes are sometimes so precise that it cuts through objects cleanly in a straight line. On other occasions, she uses her whip to grab onto objects to either tether herself or others, or lift the object, such as boulders, and throw them at the enemy. She can also summon two whips and dual wield them. Her fighting style with her whip can sometimes be considered reckless and foolhardy; such as in "Monster Buddies" where she used it to pull the Centipeedle Mother towards her, knocking her and the other Crystal Gems down.
- Whip Lash: As shown in "On the Run", Amethyst can send waves of energy along her whip(s) in order to create a powerful explosion.
- Unarmed Proficiency: Out of the three Crystal Gems, Amethyst is the least likely to rely on her weapon in combat, instead usually relying on her martial art skills to deal with any threat. In "Laser Light Cannon" she readily volunteered to get thrown at the Red Eye by Garnet in order to punch/body slam into it; even long after it had proven ineffective.
- Shapeshifting: Although all gems are able to shapeshift, Amethyst seems to do this the most often and is the most frequent user of shape-shifting in combat which she uses to enhance her unarmed fighting; for example she can shape-shifts into her wrestling alter-ego, the Purple Puma, or she may take on more bizarre forms such as giant baseball bat in "Beach Party".
- Spin Dash: As first demonstrated in "Watermelon Steven", Amethyst can rapidly roll in a ball-like shape to attack enemies, an ability she shares with Jasper.
Amethyst is often seen hanging out with him, eating with him, and occasionally annoying him. She and Steven seem to have the most similar personalities and as a result get along very well. Despite their sibling-esque nature, Amethyst teased Steven in "An Indirect Kiss" for caring about her, to which he replied "yes" with tears on his face since she was in danger of falling off a cliff. Steven believes that Amethyst may partially blame him for Rose's death.
While Amethyst often does whatever she wants to do, she will listen and take orders from Garnet. She dislikes being told what to do, but she respects Garnet's leadership abilities and judgment. She, like the rest of the Crystal Gems, is aware that Garnet is a fusion and after Steven revealed he had discovered this, she shouts out "You met Ruby and Sapphire!?"
Amethyst and Pearl have vastly different personalities and Pearl is often seen scolding Amethyst. In return, Amethyst sometimes will tease her and generally get on her nerves. She does, however, care about Pearl as a teammate and friend. In "On the Run", for a long time Amethyst had thought that Pearl thought of her as a mistake due to her origins but has dismissed that notion when Pearl said that Amethyst was the only good thing that came out of the mess.
It appears that Amethyst and Rose were good friends, as Amethyst describes her as "the person that was always there for me". Amethyst was hurt when Rose Quartz started seeing Greg and had less time to spend with her, even more so when she gave up her physical form.
In "Maximum Capacity", it is revealed that Amethyst and Greg used to be good friends, marathoning the "Little Butler" TV show together for days at a time. But after Rose's "death", she blamed Greg, messing with him until she took it too far, and ultimately ended their friendship. They seem to have patched things up recently, but they are still nervous around each other.
See Amethyst's Quotes.
- Amethyst is the birthstone of February.
- In mythology, amethysts are often associated with giving the wearer a sober mind. This is ironic, as she is the most reckless of all the Crystal Gems.
- She dances less seriously for fusing with Pearl to form Opal in "Giant Woman", but in "Coach Steven", she puts more effort into her fusion dance with Garnet.
- She is the first (and currently the only) Crystal Gem to have three revealed fusions.
- She is one of the characters whose design changed from the Pilot to the series, Amethyst's design changed the least, besides Steven, these changes include:
- Removal of gold ring around gemstone.
- Her top changed from long-sleeved to strap-like.
- Circle shaped holes in her leggings changed to star shaped.
- Removal of hair clip.
- Boots changed from fold-over to regular.
- Removal of fanny pack, though it makes an appearance in "Beach Party".
- Skin tone is lightened.
- Hair style is cleaner.
- Curiously, Amethyst's outfit does not feature the classic Crystal Gem star symbol/emblem seen on Pearl and Garnet, but rather she's got cut-outs of stars on her knees.
- This likely because she was not born/created as a Crystal Gem but rather found at Kindergarten by the others and adopted into their fold.
- As a result she might've altered her default outfit to represent the Crystal Gems.
- The amethyst stone is often associated with the Greek god Dionysus, the god of wine and intoxication. This could be the reason behind her impulsive and self-indulgent nature.
- "Frybo" is the first episode that neither Amethyst nor Garnet appeared in. With "Garnet's Universe" being the second episode that neither Amethyst nor Pearl appeared in.
- She has shape-shifted multiple times into a variety of different objects and living things:
- At New York Comic Con, Rebecca Sugar revealed that Amethyst's designs and color palette are based off of Adventure Time's Lumpy Space Princess, due to her earlier work on that show.
- Although Pearl claims that all Gems can shapeshift, Amethyst is the only Crystal Gem that is regularly seen shapeshifting.
- In "Steven and the Stevens", it is shown that Amethyst knows how to play the drums.
- It is revealed in "Steven the Sword Fighter", that out of all the Gems, Amethyst usually ends up getting hurt and having to retreat to her gemstone to regenerate the most.
- Despite this, she is the only Crystal Gem, excluding Steven as he is half human, who has not been shown retreating into her gem.
- She is however, the first gem shown in the series to crack their gem.
- In "Secret Team", Amethyst revealed that she can't shapeshift when she's under pressure.
- Amethyst is shown blushing for the first time in "An Indirect Kiss", her blushes are shown to be a darker purple.
- Amethyst knows at least a little Spanish, as she says "No, mi torta," in "Monster Buddies", which translates to "No, my sandwich."
- Amethyst, Sugilite, and Alexandrite are the only Gems who haven't been seen bubbling away a gemstone.
- Although some purple shaded bubbles can be seen in The Burning Room, suggesting she's bubbled some off-screen.
- Rebecca has revealed in an interview that Amethyst's room is the closest to her actual lifestyle.
- Amethyst is seen pulling her weapon the least, as she prefers to fight by shapeshifting.
- According to creator Rebecca Sugar, Amethyst's dancing/fighting style is based off of dancehall and club dancing.
- Amethyst shares the same gemstone placement with the Invisible Gem Monster, that being their chest.
- In the episode "On the Run", it is revealed that Amethyst was not from outer space like Rose, Pearl and Garnet, but was created through Earth's Kindergarten.
- Amethyst is shown crying for the first time in "On the Run".
- Based on the events shown in "On the Run", Amethyst would be the youngest of the Crystal Gems, excluding Steven.
- Amethyst appears to be ashamed over the fact that she is from Kindergarten, as she shouted at Pearl, "I am not gonna let you stand there and remind me of everything I hate about myself!".
- Amethyst is at least 6,000 years old, as confirmed in "Marble Madness", as that was when Earth's Kindergarten was shut down.
- In "The Message", Amethyst was more irritated by the Wailing Stone than the rest of the Gems.
- In "The Message", when Amethyst started Greg's Van with its key, she exclaimed that it was "way easier", implying that she may have hot-wired a car previously.
- Amethyst and Jasper have multiple similarities, including but are not limited to:
- Same hair: Voluminous, white, and seemingly untamed.
- Same clothing style: Tank tops/crop tops with black shoulder straps and black leggings.
- Same abilities: Jasper performs the same "Spin Dash" that Amethyst does when fighting Pearl at the Kindergarten, the only difference being Jasper's spin dash had a large orange aura around it.
- Jasper also calls Amethyst an "overcooked runt," hinting that Jasper knows about Amethyst being created at Kindergarten as well as the possible reason why Amethyst is different than the other gems created at Kindergarten (sitting for too long).
- It's mentioned in "Full Disclosure" that the Gems once had a moat and Amethyst was the crocodile, however they dismantled it because she couldn't commit to the position.
Learn about the amethyst gemstone here.
Click here to view the gallery.
|Characters in Steven Universe|
Unfused: Jasper • Lapis Lazuli • Peridot • Yellow Diamond
Corrupt: Big Bird • Centipeetles • Centipeetle Mother • Earth Beetle • Electric Skulls • Frybo • Gem Cave Creature • Giant Pufferfish • Heaven Beetle • Ice Monster • Invisible Gem Monster • Lighthouse Gem Monster • Worm Monster
|Minor Characters|| |
Humans: Mayor Bill Dewey • Buck Dewey • Greg's Uncle • Greg's Aunt • Kevin • Harold Smiley • Jamie • Jenny Pizza • Kiki • Kofi • Mr. Fryman • Mr. Maheswaran • Dr. Maheswaran • Nanafua • Peedee Fryman • Ronaldo Fryman • Sour Cream • Sadie's Mother • Steven Jr. • Suitcase Sam • Yellowtail • Onion • Uncle Grandpa
Other: Unnamed Fish • Watermelon Stevens • Baby Melon
Fictional: Dogcopter • Ace • Ace's Father • Foxman • Hopper • Hoppy • Ringo • Wind Lizard
Rose's Room Creations: • Tiny Floating Whale • Cloud Connie