I'm not gonna let you stand there and remind me of everything I hate about myself!
Amethyst is a main protagonist in Steven Universe.
One of the Gems manufactured on Earth as a part of the Gem Homeworld's Kindergarten project, Amethyst is one of the last surviving Gems on Earth who joined the Crystal Gems. After the rebellion, Amethyst helped her friends protect the Earth over the next five millennia, for then later to aid in the shenanigans of Steven Universe, Rose Quartz's son.
Amethyst is shorter than most characters, rivaling Steven's height. Amethyst's skin is lilac, and her hair is a ghost-white color. She has plump lips, a small, upturned nose and a large bang which obscures her left eye. Often, her mouth has a cat-like shape.
Amethyst sports a dark-mauve, off-shoulder tunic with a black tank-top underneath. She wears black leggings with a star cut-outs on the knees. She also wears white ankle-boots.
CurrentAmethyst clothing is consistent, except the colors of her tunic and leggings are reversed. Instead of cut-outs on her leggings, she has patches that are the same color as her tunic. Also, on the lower part of her tunic there are now two small slits on either side.
Amethyst is really... out of control. She likes to eat, she likes to sleep. She doesn't have to, but she does it 'cause it's fun.
Amethyst is fun and care-free. Loud and full of laughter, she finds everything amusing, but can be very emotional and impulsive. She is shown to be a comic-relief. She is bad-mannered, smacking and picking her nose. She rather untidy, and claims to have a system for it. Her over-protectiveness of her junk marks her as somewhat of a hoarder. Her hoarding tendencies surface in "Maximum Capacity", where she is unwilling to let Greg throw anything away in his storage unit.
In relation to Steven, she tends to indulge him more and partake in activities with him. She is the Crystal Gem who is the hardest to crack in emotional situations, though at times she has shown to have a major concern for Steven. She seems to love eating and sleeping, and is seen doing so frequently.
Due to her dark past, she bears a tremendous amount of self-hatred and sometimes feels out of place among the Crystal Gems. She thought when Steven learned of her past, he would think less of her.
Of the Crystal Gems, Amethyst is the least likely to rely on her weapon in combat, instead relying on her martial art skills to deal with any threat. In "Laser Light Cannon", she readily volunteered to get thrown at the Red Eye by Garnet in order to punch/body slam into it; even long after it had proven ineffective. Amethyst is, by far, the most frequent user of shape-shifting, which she uses to enhance her unarmed fighting. She may shape-shift into her wrestling alter-ego, the Purple Puma, take on more bizarre forms, depending on the task at hand.
- Whip Proficiency: Amethyst is a skilled whip-user, and mixes very well with her immense strength. She uses her whip to lash at opponents and cause damage that is strong enough to easily split a dumpster in half. Her lashes are sometimes so precise that it cuts through objects cleanly in a straight line. Occasionally, she uses her whip to grab onto objects, or lift the object, such as boulders, and throw them at the enemy. Her fighting-style can sometimes be considered reckless and foolhardy; in "Monster Buddies", she used her whip to pull the Centipeetle Mother towards her, knocking her and the other Crystal Gems down. Amethyst can throw her whip to entangle or bind her target from afar.
- Whiplash: Amethyst can send waves of energy along her whip(s) in order to create a powerful explosion.
- Spin Dash: Amethyst can rapidly roll in a ball-like shape to attack enemies, an ability she shares with Jasper.
- Hair-Blade: Amethyst is able to use her hair to slash at an enemy with such potency it severs the claw of a Gem Monster. She also uses this ability when spin-balling.
|Amethyst wears a baggy, long-sleeved sweatshirt/sweater. She has a silver ring around her gem. She wears a gold-star hairclip. She also has a yellow-green fanny pack, and black leggings with ripped knee-holes.||"Pilot"|
|Amethyst wears long cloak over her clothes.||"Tiger Millionaire"|
|Amethyst wears Steven's Birthday Suit.||"So Many Birthdays"|
|Amethyst wears a yellow life vest over her regular outfit.||Chille Tid|
|In Steven's black & white sitcom dream sequence, Amethyst has a baseball cap, a fanny pack and jeans instead of her regular leggings. Her tunic is tucked into her jeans. Her bag resembles the one she wore in the Pilot.||Chille Tid|
|Amethyst's tunic straps are over her shoulders. Instead of wearing a tank-top under her tunic, she seems to have a large Peter Pan or puritan-style collar covering her shoulders. She wears baggy jogging-pants tucked into her boots. She also has short hair.||"Story for Steven"|
|Amethyst is slightly deformed. She has four legs, a giant ear, and messy hair.||"Reformed"|
|Amethyst imitates Pearl's pixie-cut hairstyle. She wears a purple tank top with a purple sash tied around her waist. She also wears black shorts, along with lilac socks and white slippers.|
|Amethyst's arm and leg are deformed and muscular. Her hair is messier than before.|
|"Dumb Police" Officer||"Together Breakfast"|
"Keep Beach City Weird"
|Purple Puma||"Cat Fingers"|
|Baby||"So Many Birthdays"|
|Dogcopter||"Lion 2: The Movie"|
|Dogcopter (with boom-box head)|
|Dogcopter (with Amethyst's head)|
|Baseball Bat||"Beach Party"|
|Amethyst wears a purple tank top, with black straps from another top (or perhaps a swimsuit) hanging out over both shoulders. She wears jean-shorts, instead of leggings. She also wears a green fanny-pack, and goes barefoot.|
|Muscular Steven||"Coach Steven"|
|Fly Head||"Island Adventure"|
|Rose Quartz||"Maximum Capacity"|
|Crocodile Head||"Full Disclosure"|
|Owl||"Story for Steven"|
Amethyst is often seen hanging out with him, eating with him, and occasionally annoying him. She and Steven seem to have the most similar personalities and, as a result, get along very well. Despite their sibling-esque nature, Amethyst teased Steven in "An Indirect Kiss" for caring about her, to which he replied "yes" with tears on his face since she was in danger of falling off a cliff. Steven believes that Amethyst may partially blame him for Rose's death.
While Amethyst dislikes being told what to do and often does what she wants to do, she respects Garnet's leadership abilities and judgment. She, like the rest of the Crystal Gems, is aware that Garnet is a fusion and after Steven revealed he had discovered this, she shouts out "You met Ruby and Sapphire!?".
The two share a strained relationship, possibly due to their contrasting personalities. Amethyst frequently teases Pearl, who often scolds her. Regardless, they value each other as teammates/friends. Amethyst had thought that Pearl perceived her as a "mistake", due to her origins. But she dismissed the notion when Pearl stated, "You were the one good thing that came out of this mess. I always thought you were proud of that."
It appears that Amethyst and Rose were good friends, as Amethyst describes her as "the person that was always there for me". Amethyst was hurt when Rose Quartz started seeing Greg and had less time to spend with her, even more so when she gave up her physical form.
In "Maximum Capacity," it is revealed that Amethyst and Greg used to be good friends, marathoning the "Li'l Butler" TV show together for days at a time. But after Rose's "death", she blamed Greg, messing with him until she took it too far, and ultimately ended their friendship. They seem to have patched things up recently, but they are still nervous around each other. "Story for Steven" seemed to imply that she has longer hair now because she liked how his hair looked.
See Amethyst's Quotes.
- Amethyst currently has the least amount of unique abilities out of all the Crystal Gems.
- Her Spin Ball attack, which she shares with Jasper, may be a reference to the popular fictional character "Sonic the Hedgehog" who's main form of attack is rolling into a ball and dashing into enemies. Both attacks go by the same name.
- She dances less seriously for fusing with Pearl to form Opal in "Giant Woman", but in "Coach Steven", she puts more effort into her fusion dance with Garnet.
- She is the first Crystal Gem to have three revealed fusions.
- It is possible that she has long hair due to Greg's influence on her, because in "Story for Steven", Amethyst takes an interest in Greg's hair and climbs through it.
- However, she's had long hair in the past, as evidenced by the painting in her room from "So Many Birthdays".
- She is one of the characters whose design changed from the "Pilot" to the series, Amethyst's design changed the least, besides Steven, these changes include:
- Removal of silver ring around gemstone. (As seen in Reformed, her gem still has a ring around it, however it's not visible unless she's regenerating, as the ring is usually hidden under her skin.)
- Her top changed from long-sleeved to strap-like.
- Circle shaped holes in her leggings changed to star shaped.
- Removal of hair clip.
- Boots changed from fold-over to regular.
- Removal of fanny pack, though it makes an appearance in "Beach Party".
- Skin tone is lightened.
- Hair style is cleaner.
- Curiously, Amethyst's debut outfit does not feature the classic Crystal Gem star symbol/emblem seen on Pearl and Garnet, but rather has cut-outs of stars on her knees.
- This is likely because she was not born/created as a Crystal Gem, but rather found at Kindergarten by the others and adopted into their fold.
- As a result, she might have altered her default outfit to represent the Crystal Gems.
- "Frybo" is the first episode that neither Amethyst nor Garnet appeared in. With "Garnet's Universe" being the second episode that neither Amethyst nor Pearl appeared in.
- She has shape-shifted multiple times into a variety of different objects and living things (see above).
- Out of all the Gems, she is the one seen shape-shifting the most.
- At New York Comic-Con, Rebecca Sugar revealed that Amethyst's designs and color palette are based off of Adventure Time's Lumpy Space Princess, due to her earlier work on that show.
- In "Steven and the Stevens", it is shown that Amethyst knows how to play the drums.
- In "We Need to Talk", it is revealed that Greg was the one that taught her how to play the drums.
- She was the first Gem to crack her gemstone.
- She is the only Crystal Gem so far to have cracked her gem.
- In "Secret Team," Amethyst states she can't shape-shift when she's under pressure.
- Amethyst is seem blushing for the first time in "An Indirect Kiss". Her blush is shown to be a darker purple.
- Amethyst can speak some Spanish, as she says "No, mi torta!" in "Monster Buddies", which translates into "No, my sandwich!".
- Amethyst, Sugilite, Rainbow Quartz, and Alexandrite are the only Crystal Gems who haven't been seen bubbling away a gemstone.
- Although some purple shaded bubbles can be seen in The Burning Room, suggesting she's bubbled some off-screen.
- Rebecca has revealed in an interview that Amethyst's room is the closest to her actual lifestyle.
- According to creator Rebecca Sugar, Amethyst's dancing/fighting style is based off of dancehall and club dancing.
- Amethyst shares the same gemstone placement with the Invisible Gem Monster, that being their chests.
- Based on the events shown in "On the Run", Amethyst would be the youngest of the Crystal Gems, excluding Steven.
- Amethyst appears to be ashamed over the fact that she is from Kindergarten, as she shouted at Pearl, "I am not gonna let you stand there and remind me of everything I hate about myself!".
- Amethyst is at least 6,000 years old, as confirmed in "Marble Madness", as that was when Earth's Kindergarten was shut down.
- Even though she was 1,000 years old, she was not at the battle at the Gem Battlefield.
- In "On the Run" it is revealed that Amethyst lived some time in Kindergarten after her "birth"; spending her time playing with different rocks she had adopted as her friends.
- In "Story for Steven" and "We Need to Talk", Amethyst acts in many ways like an animal or a feral child. She mostly walks on all fours, is very invasive and inquisitive, rips through a bag of pop-pops like a dog would, and even goes to fetch a stick when Garnet throws it. This could be because she was on her own until Garnet, Pearl, and Rose found her and made her a part of the team, learning off of local wild-life. How she grew out of these habits is still a mystery, but it is possible that she figured out how behave more human-like through Greg and Steven.
- In "The Message", Amethyst was more irritated by the Wailing Stone than the rest of the Gems.
- Amethyst also started Greg's Van with its key, she exclaimed that it was "way easier", implying that she may have hot-wired a car previously.
- Amethyst and Jasper have similarities, including but not limited to:
- Hair syle: They have voluminous, white, and seemingly untamed hairstyles.
- Abilities: Jasper possesses the "Spin Ball" attack. Jasper's version, however, has a fiery aura around her when performing the ability.
- Gemological Properties: Jasper is a non-crystalline quartz, while amethyst is crystalline quartz.
- In "Full Disclosure", Amethyst suggested they build a moat to keep humans off the beach with her as the crocodile, but the idea was rejected by Pearl because Amethyst "never commits". This implies that the Gems have attempted at building a moat to keep humans out before.
- It is revealed in "Steven the Sword Fighter", that out of all the Gems, Amethyst usually ends up getting hurt and having to retreat to her gemstone to regenerate the most.
- Amethyst was the first Gem to regenerate in Season 2.
- Amethyst, so far, has regenerated the most out of the Crystal Gems and in a single episode.
- Amethyst is the birthstone for those who are born in February, or for the zodiacal sign of Pisces. 
- Amethyst belongs to the macrocrystalline branch of quartz and owes its violet/purple color to iron and aluminum impurities. The colors range from purple and violet to pale red-violet.
- Amethyst stones are often associated with the Greek/Roman god Dionysus/Bacchus, god of wine and intoxication. This could be the reason behind her impulsive and self-indulgent nature.
- Which is ironic considering amethysts, though associated with the wine god, symbolize sobriety. Often carved into wine goblets to prevent drunkenness.
- Amethyst's chemical formula is SiO2::Fe+3, where the iron makes amethysts have a purple-like coloration.
|Amethyst's gemstone is located on her chest. It has a hexagon facet on it. As seen in "Reformed", the front and back are symmetrical, and it has a silver ring around it, which is usually hidden inside her body unless she's regenerating. It is a dodecahedron, which is commonly associated with ether.|
Click here to view the gallery.