Listen, Steven. You can't let anyone make you feel like garbage.
"Amethyst" is a main protagonist in Steven Universe.
One of the Gems manufactured on Earth as a part of the Gem Homeworld's Kindergarten project, Amethyst is one of the last surviving Gems on Earth who was born before the Crystal Gems rebelled against their Homeworld to stop their invasion of the planet. Having joined the Crystal Gems, Amethyst helped her friends protect the Earth over the next five millennia, for then later to aid in the shenanigans of Steven Universe, Rose Quartz's son.
Amethyst has long, very pale, light-purple hair which covers her left eye and goes down to her ankles. She has plump lips with pale and bright plum-colored skin, and a heavier build than the other Crystal Gems. Her gemstone is embedded in her chest and has a hexagonal facet. She is slightly taller than Steven, but shorter than the other Crystal Gems.
She wears a dark mauve, off-shoulder tunic with a black tank top underneath, black leggings with a star shape cut out on her knees, a smaller rip above the cut out on the left leg, and white ankle boots.
Amethyst is really... out of control. She likes to eat, she likes to sleep. She doesen't have to, but she does it 'cause it's fun.
Amethyst is fun and care-free. Loud and full of laughter, she finds everything amusing, but can be very emotional and isn't afraid to act on impulse. She is also shown to be a comic-relief. She has overall bad manners, including chewing with her mouth open and picking her nose. She doesn't like her things to be neat, as shown when Pearl cleans up her room, only for her to make it a mess again in "Together Breakfast" and claims to have a system for it. Her over-protectiveness of her piles of junk in her room, a lot of it which is broken, old and/or useless (like the five-years old burrito she kept until she eventually ate it in "So Many Birthdays"), marks her as somewhat of a hoarder. Her hoarding tendencies once again surface in "Maximum Capacity" where she is unwilling to let Greg throw away anything in his storage unit and end up bringing most the contents of it back to her room in the Crystal Temple.
In relation to Steven, she tends to indulge him more and partake in activities with him. She is the Crystal Gem who is the hardest to crack in emotional situations, though at times she has shown to have a major concern for Steven, such as in "So Many Birthdays" where she was very worried about him aging. She seems to love eating and sleeping, as she has been seen eating and/or resting far more than the other Gems (even though Gems don't need to eat or sleep).
Due of her dark past, she bears a tremendous amount of self-hatred and sometimes feels out of place among the other Gems despite maintaining a cheerful, happy go-lucky personality. She thinks that the other Gems look down on her as well. She thought when Steven learned of her past that he might look down on her, too.
Like all Gems, Amethyst can shape-shift, fuse, summon a weapon, and retreat to her gemstone to regenerate.
- Weapon Proficiency: Whip. Amethyst is a skilled whip user, and mixes very well with her immense strength. She is skilled enough to actually nearly defeat Pearl in a one on one battle, if it were not for Steven. At times, she uses her whip to lash at opponents and cause damage that is strong enough to easily split a dumpster in half. Her lashes are sometimes so precise that it cuts through objects cleanly in a straight line. On other occasions, she uses her whip to grab onto objects to either tether herself or others, or lift the object, such as boulders, and throw them at the enemy. Her fighting style with her whip can sometimes be considered reckless and foolhardy; such as in "Monster Buddies" where she used it to pull the Centipeedle Mother towards her, knocking her and the other Crystal Gems down. If she gets really mad, she just might start using two whips instead of one, revealed and shown in "On the Run". In the same episode, Amethyst can throw her whip to entangle or bind her target from afar.
- Whiplash: As shown in "On the Run", Amethyst can send waves of energy along her whip(s) in order to create a powerful explosion.
- Unarmed Combat: Out of the three Crystal Gems, Amethyst is the least likely to rely on her weapon in combat, instead usually relying on her martial art skills to deal with any threat. In "Laser Light Cannon" she readily volunteered to get thrown at the Red Eye by Garnet in order to punch/body slam into it; even long after it had proven ineffective.
- Shapeshifting: Although all gems are able to shapeshift, Amethyst is by far the most frequent user of shape-shifting of the Crystal Gems, which she uses to enhance her unarmed fighting. For example, she can shape-shifts into her wrestling alter-ego, the Purple Puma, or she may take on more bizarre forms such as giant baseball bat in "Beach Party".
|Similar to default outfit. Baggy long-sleeved sweatshirt / sweater instead of a sleeveless tunic. Gold ring around gem. Gold star hairclip. Yellow fanny pack worn to the side. Ripped knee holes are oval.||"Pilot"|
|Similar to default outfit. Both tunic straps are over shoulders. Instead of wearing a tank top under her tunic, she seems to have a large Peter Pan or puritan style collar covering her shoulders (other shirt details hidden by tunic). Baggy, unripped jogging pants tucked into boots instead of tights. Short hair.||"Story for Steven"|
|Purple tunic is shapeshifted into a tank top with both straps up on the shoulders, while both straps from the inner black tank top are hanging down. Tights are replaced with jean shorts. Green fanny pack worn to the side.||"Beach Party"|
|"Dumb Police" Officer||"Together Breakfast"|
"Keep Beach City Weird"
|Purple Puma||"Cat Fingers"|
|Baby||"So Many Birthdays"|
|Dogcopter||"Lion 2: The Movie"|
|Dogcopter (with boom-box head)|
|Dogcopter (with Amethyst's head)|
|Baseball Bat||"Beach Party"|
|Muscular Steven||"Coach Steven"|
|Fly Head||"Island Adventure"|
|Rose Quartz||"Maximum Capacity"|
|Owl||"Story for Steven"|
Amethyst is often seen hanging out with him, eating with him, and occasionally annoying him. She and Steven seem to have the most similar personalities and as a result get along very well. Despite their sibling-esque nature, Amethyst teased Steven in "An Indirect Kiss" for caring about her, to which he replied "yes" with tears on his face since she was in danger of falling off a cliff. Steven believes that Amethyst may partially blame him for Rose's death.
While Amethyst often does whatever she wants to do, she will listen and take orders from Garnet. She dislikes being told what to do, but she respects Garnet's leadership abilities and judgment. She, like the rest of the Crystal Gems, is aware that Garnet is a fusion and after Steven revealed he had discovered this, she shouts out "You met Ruby and Sapphire!?"
Amethyst and Pearl have vastly different personalities and Pearl is often seen scolding Amethyst. In return, Amethyst sometimes will tease her and generally get on her nerves. She does, however, care about Pearl as a teammate and friend. In "On the Run," for a long time Amethyst had thought that Pearl thought of her as a mistake due to her origins but has dismissed that notion when Pearl said to Amethyst, "You were the only good thing that came out of that mess. I always thought you were proud of that."
It appears that Amethyst and Rose were good friends, as Amethyst describes her as "the person that was always there for me". Amethyst was hurt when Rose Quartz started seeing Greg and had less time to spend with her, even more so when she gave up her physical form.
In "Maximum Capacity," it is revealed that Amethyst and Greg used to be good friends, marathoning the "Little Butler" TV show together for days at a time. But after Rose's "death," she blamed Greg, messing with him until she took it too far, and ultimately ended their friendship. They seem to have patched things up recently, but they are still nervous around each other. "Story for Steven" seemed to imply that she has longer hair now because she liked how his looked.
See Amethyst's Quotes.
- Amethyst currently has the least amount of unique abilities out of all the Crystal Gems.
- She dances less seriously for fusing with Pearl to form Opal in "Giant Woman," but in "Coach Steven," she puts more effort into her fusion dance with Garnet.
- She is the first (and currently the only) Crystal Gem to have three revealed fusions.
- It is possible that she has long hair now due to Greg's influence on her, because in "Story for Steven", Amethyst takes an interest in Greg's hair and climbs through it.
- She is one of the characters whose design changed from the Pilot to the series, Amethyst's design changed the least, besides Steven, these changes include:
- Removal of gold ring around gemstone.
- Her top changed from long-sleeved to strap-like.
- Circle shaped holes in her leggings changed to star shaped.
- Removal of hair clip.
- Boots changed from fold-over to regular.
- Removal of fanny pack, though it makes an appearance in "Beach Party."
- Skin tone is lightened.
- Hair style is cleaner.
- Curiously, Amethyst's outfit does not feature the classic Crystal Gem star symbol/emblem seen on Pearl and Garnet, but rather she's got cut-outs of stars on her knees.
- This is likely because she was not born/created as a Crystal Gem but rather found at Kindergarten by the others and adopted into their fold.
- As a result she might've altered her default outfit to represent the Crystal Gems.
- "Frybo" is the first episode that neither Amethyst nor Garnet appeared in. With "Garnet's Universe" being the second episode that neither Amethyst nor Pearl appeared in.
- She has shape-shifted multiple times into a variety of different objects and living things (see above).
- Out of all the Gems, she is the one seen shape-shifting the most.
- At New York Comic-Con, Rebecca Sugar revealed that Amethyst's designs and color palette are based off of Adventure Time's Lumpy Space Princess, due to her earlier work on that show.
- Although Pearl claims that all Gems can shapeshift, Amethyst and Garnet are the only Crystal Gem that have been shown shapeshifting.
- In "Steven and the Stevens," it is shown that Amethyst knows how to play the drums.
- It is revealed in "Steven the Sword Fighter," that out of all the Gems, Amethyst usually ends up getting hurt and having to retreat to her gemstone to regenerate the most.
- Despite this, she is the only Crystal Gem, excluding Steven as he is half human, who has not been shown retreating into her gem.
- She is, however, the first gem shown in the series to crack their gem.
- In "Secret Team," Amethyst revealed that she can't shapeshift when she's under pressure.
- Amethyst is shown blushing for the first time in "An Indirect Kiss," her blushes are shown to be a darker purple.
- Amethyst can speak some Spanish, as she says "No, mi torta!" in "Monster Buddies", which translates into "No, my sandwich!".
- Amethyst, Sugilite, and Alexandrite are the only Crystal Gems who haven't been seen bubbling away a gemstone.
- Although some purple shaded bubbles can be seen in The Burning Room, suggesting she's bubbled some off-screen.
- Rebecca has revealed in an interview that Amethyst's room is the closest to her actual lifestyle.
- Amethyst is seen pulling her weapon the least, as she prefers to fight by shapeshifting or unarmed combat.
- According to creator Rebecca Sugar, Amethyst's dancing/fighting style is based off of dancehall and club dancing.
- Amethyst shares the same gemstone placement with the Invisible Gem Monster, that being their chests.
- In the episode "On the Run," it is revealed that Amethyst was not from Homeworld like Rose, Pearl and Garnet, but was created through Earth's Kindergarten.
- Amethyst is shown crying for the first time in "On the Run."
- In "On the Run", Amethyst was revealed to have the ability to send energy through her whip
- This power is similar to Pearl's ability to shoot blasts from her scepters, and Garnet's ability to launch her gauntlets like rockets.
- Based on the events shown in "On the Run," Amethyst would be the youngest of the Crystal Gems, excluding Steven.
- Amethyst appears to be ashamed over the fact that she is from Kindergarten, as she shouted at Pearl, "I am not gonna let you stand there and remind me of everything I hate about myself!".
- Amethyst is at least 6,000 years old, as confirmed in "Marble Madness," as that was when Earth's Kindergarten was shut down.
- In "The Message," Amethyst was more irritated by the Wailing Stone than the rest of the Gems.
- In "The Message," when Amethyst started Greg's Van with its key, she exclaimed that it was "way easier", implying that she may have hot-wired a car previously.
- Amethyst and Jasper have multiple similarities, including but are not limited to:
- Same hair: Voluminous, white, and seemingly untamed.
- Same clothing style: Tank tops/crop tops with black shoulder straps and black leggings.
- Same abilities: Jasper performs the same "Spin Dash" that Amethyst does when fighting Pearl at the Kindergarten, the only difference being Jasper's spin dash had a large orange aura around it.
- Jasper also calls Amethyst an "overcooked runt," hinting that Jasper knows about Amethyst being created at Kindergarten as well as the possible reason why Amethyst is different than the other gems created at Kindergarten (sitting for too long).
- Also, Jasper is a non-crystalline quartz while Amethyst is a crystalline quartz.
- It's possible that Jasper was also made in the Kindergarten and was put in the war before the Crystal Gems invaded the Kindergarten. This explains their similar hair and spin dash ability. This also supports the fact that Amethyst was left in Kindergarten longer than Jasper was.
- In "Full Disclosure", Amethyst suggested they build a moat to keep humans off the beach with her as the crocodile, but the idea was rejected by Pearl because Amethyst "never commits". This implies that the Gems have attempted at building a moat to keep humans out before.
- Amethyst is shown to be the great fun loving one of the Crystal Gems.
- As of "Jail Break", Amethyst is the only gem who has not had a redesign that was shown in an episode.
Learn more about the amethyst gemstone here.
- Amethyst is the birthstone of February. 
- Amethyst stones are often associated with the Greek/Roman god Dionysus/Bacchus, god of wine and intoxication. This could be the reason behind her impulsive and self-indulgent nature.
- Which is ironic considering amethysts, though associated with the wine god, symbolize sobriety. Often carved into wine goblets to prevent drunkenness.
|Information||Amethyst's gemstone is located on her chest. It has a Hexagon Facet on it.|
Click here to view the gallery.
|Characters in Steven Universe|
|Minor Characters|| |
Humans: Barbara • Bill Dewey • Buck Dewey • Greg's Uncle • Greg's Aunt • Kevin • Harold Smiley • Jamie • Jenny Pizza • Kiki • Kofi • Marty • Mr. Fryman • Mr. Maheswaran • Dr. Maheswaran • Nanafua • Onion • Peedee Fryman • Ronaldo Fryman • Sour Cream • Suitcase Sam • Uncle Grandpa • Vidalia • Yellowtail
Other: Baby Melon • Belly Bag • Giant Realistic Flying Tiger • Mr. Gus • Pizza Steve • Steven Jr. • Unnamed Fish • Watermelon Stevens
Fictional: Ace • Ace's Father • Dogcopter • Foxman • Hopper • Hoppy • Ringo • Wind Lizard
Rose's Room Creations: Cloud Connie • Tiny Floating Whale