Well of course I can, I'm perfect! *smacks butt* Womp, womp!
Amethyst has long, very pale, light-purple hair which covers her left eye. She has plump lips and lilac-purple skin, and a heavier build than the other Crystal Gems. Her gemstone is an amethyst, which is embedded in her chest. She is slightly taller than Steven, but shorter than the other Crystal Gems.
She wears a dark purple, off-shoulder tunic with a black tank top underneath, black leggings with a star shape cut out on her knees, a smaller rip above the cut out on the left leg, and white ankle boots.
In "Beach Party", she wears a dark violet tank top, pale green fanny pack, lavender shorts, and has her hair up in a ponytail. She is also barefoot.
Much like other characters, Amethyst had a different design in the pilot. She had more messy hair worn by a star-shaped gold hair-clip, wore a long-sleeved purple sweater, black tank top underneath, dull yellow fanny pack, leggings with poorly-cut circles, and fold-over ankle boots.
Amethyst is fun and care-free. Loud and full of laughter, she finds everything amusing, but can be very emotional and isn't afraid to act on impulse. She is also shown to be a comic-relief. She has overall bad manners, including chewing with her mouth open and picking her nose. She doesn't like her things to be neat, as shown when Pearl cleans up her room, only for her to make it a mess again in "Together Breakfast" and claims to have a system for it. In relation to Steven, she tends to indulge him more and partake in activities with him. She is the Crystal Gem who is the hardest to crack in emotional situations, though at times she has shown to have a major concern for Steven, such as in "So Many Birthdays" where she was very worried about him aging. She seems to love eating and sleeping, as she has been seen eating and/or resting far more than the other Gems (even though Gems don't need to eat or sleep). In "On the Run" Amethyst reveals to Steven, that unlike Garnet, Pearl, and Rose, Amethyst did not originate from the Gem Homeworld. Instead she was created in a canyon-like area the Gems call Kindergarten. Fortunately the Gems shut it down, and Amethyst was recruited afterwards. However because of her dark past, she sometimes feels out of place from the other Gems.
All Gems have the ability to summon a weapon, shapeshift, fuse, and retreat to their gemstones to heal when injured. When activating her gem, she summons an energy whip. She can fuse with Pearl to form Opal as seen in "Giant Woman", Garnet to form Sugilite in "Coach Steven", and Garnet and Pearl to form Alexandrite in "Fusion Cuisine". She can also rapidly roll in a ball-like shape when attacking enemies as seen in "Watermelon Steven". In "On the Run", she summons two whips at the same time, which conduct energy causing a big explosion.
RelationshipsAn Indirect Kiss" for caring about her.
While Amethyst often does whatever she wants to do, she will listen and take orders from Garnet. She dislikes being told what to do, but she respects Garnet's leadership abilities and judgment.
Amethyst and Pearl have vastly different personalities and Pearl is often seen scolding Amethyst. In return, Amethyst sometimes will tease her and generally get on her nerves. She does, however, care about Pearl as a teammate and friend, as shown in "On the Run".
It appears that Amethyst and Rose were good friends, as Amethyst describes her as "the person that was always there for me." Amethyst was hurt when Rose Quartz started seeing Greg and had less time to spend with her.
"Maximum Capacity" revealed that Amethyst and Greg used to be good friends, marathoning the "Little Butler" TV show together for days at a time. However, Greg was uncomfortable with her shape shifting around him and he broke it off when she transformed into Rose Quartz. They seem to have patched things up recently, but they are still nervous around each other.
See Amethyst's Quotes.
- Amethyst is the Birthstone of February.Birthstones by Month.</ref>
- In mythology, amethysts are often associated with giving the wearer a sober mind. This is ironic, as she is the most reckless of all the Crystal Gems.
- She dances less serious for fusing with Pearl to form Opal in "Giant Woman", but in "Coach Steven" she puts more effort into her fusion dance with Garnet.
- She is the first (and currently only) Crystal Gem to have three revealed fusions.
- She is one of the characters whose design changed from the pilot to the series, Amethyst's design changed the least besides Steven, these changes include:
- Removal of gold ring around gem.
- Her top changed from long-sleeved to strap-like.
- Circle shaped holes in her leggings changed to star shaped.
- Removal of hair clip.
- Boots changed from fold-over to regular.
- Removal of fanny pack, though it makes an appearance in "Beach Party".
- From a darker skin tone to a lighter one and messier hair to a less messy one.
- The amethyst stone is often associated with the Greek god Dionysus, the god of wine and intoxication. This could be the reason behind her impulsive and self-indulgent nature.
- "Frybo" is the first episode that neither Amethyst nor Garnet appeared in. "Garnet's Universe" is the second episode that neither Amethyst nor Pearl appeared in.
- She has shape-shifted multiple times into a variety of different objects and living things:
- At New York Comic Con, Rebecca Sugar revealed that Amethyst's designs and color palette are based off of Adventure Time' Lumpy Space Princess due to her earlier work on that show.
- Although Pearl claims that all Gems can shapeshift, Amethyst is the only Gem that is regularly seen shapeshifting.
- It is revealed in "Steven the Sword Fighter" that out of all the Gems, Amethyst usually ends up getting hurt and having to retreat to her gem to regenerate the most.
- In "Secret Team", Amethyst revealed that she can't shapeshift when she is under pressure.
- Amethyst is shown blushing for the first time in "An Indirect Kiss", her blushes are shown to be a darker purple.
- Amethyst possibly knows Spanish as she says "Mi Torta" in "Monster Buddies", which translates to "My Sandwich".
- Amethyst, Opal, Sugilite, and Alexandrite are the only Gems who haven't been seen bubbling away a gemstone.
- Although some purple shaded bubbles can be seen in the room where bubbled gems are sent in "Monster Buddies", suggesting she's bubbled some off-screen.
- Rebecca has revealed in an interview that Amethyst's room is the closest to her actual lifestyle.
- Amethyst is seen pulling her weapon the least as she prefers to fight by shapeshifting.
- According to creator Rebecca Sugar, Amethyst's dancing/fighting style is based off of dancehall and club dancing 
- Amethyst shares the same gem placement with the Invisible Gem Monster, that being their chest.
- In the episode "On the Run", it is revealed that Amethyst was not from outer space like Rose, Pearl and Garnet, but was created through a Gem Kindergarten located on Earth.
- Amethyst is shown crying for the first time in "On the Run".
- Based on the events shown in "On the Run", Amethyst would be the youngest of the Crystal Gems, excluding Steven.
Learn more about the amethyst gemstone here.
Click here to view the gallery.
| || || || |
|Characters in Steven Universe|
Peedee Fryman • Ronaldo Fryman • Mr. Fryman • Mr. Smiley • Jenny Pizza • Kiki • Kofi • Mr. Maheswaran • Dr. Maheswaran • Yellowtail • Nanafua • Jamie • Sour Cream • Buck Dewey • Mayor Bill Dewey • Tiny Floating Whale • Steven Jr. • Suitcase Sam • Ace • Ace's Father • Greg's Uncle • Greg's Aunt • Foxman • Hopper • Hoppy • Ringo • Baby Melon • Watermelon Stevens • Sadie's Mother • Dogcopter • Kevin • Unnamed Fish • Raccoon