|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the soundtrack.|
You... are an experience! Make sure you're a good experience. Now go... have... fun!
The episode starts with all of the Gems teaching Steven the process of fusion dancing. After they finish their last move, a jump, he comments that it is a lot harder than he thought it would be. Amethyst reassures him, mentioning that all of the Gems have trouble with fusion. Garnet chimes in that she does not. Pearl then begins questioning whether or not Steven is even able to fuse, expressing concern over Steven's organic half-human form. Amethyst comments that it is Steven and "who knows what's gonna happen?" Garnet then tries to encourage Steven, saying that she believes he can do it.
Later, on the beach, Steven begins talking to Connie. He tells her that fusing is hard, and communicates his discouragement over his failure. She tells him that she is impressed that he can dance with the Gems at all, admitting that she does not like to dance in front of other people. This prompts him to ask her to dance, stating that it is only the two of them. They begin to dance together, eventually getting more comfortable with each other. Steven suddenly trips over Connie, and she catches him. They laugh and touch foreheads while Steven's gem begins to glow.
Once the glow fades, their fusion wakes up, and wonders why their (Steven's) sandals do not fit. As they get up, Steven and Connie, inside of them, begin panicking and rejoicing at the same time. Eventually, they find resolve in rejoicing their fusion, and they begin running around the beach with vim and vigor. They then decide to tell the Gems. When they do, the Gems are dumbstruck and Pearl immediately starts to worry, saying that fusing with humans is a feat that is impossible and, at the very least, inappropriate. Amethyst points to a delighted Garnet and runs up to the fusion. She asks them how they feel, naming them "Stevonnie". Pearl then tries to get them to unfuse but ends up telling Garnet to talk to them. When Garnet goes up to Stevonnie, she tells them, "Stevonnie, you are not two people. And you are not one person. You are an experience. Make sure you're a good experience. Now, go. Have. Fun!".
When Stevonnie runs toward Beach City, the first thing they do is jump off of a cliff into the ocean. When they wash up on shore, they feel their stomach grumbling and decide to get donuts. Inside, Sadie and Lars are playfully arguing. When they see Stevonnie, they are both left breathless by their beauty. Stevonnie asks for two donuts, which Lars brings up to the counter. When they try to pay, Sadie tells them "It's on the house." Stevonnie gratefully accepts the donuts but reminds the two of the gesture not being a sound business practice on their way out.
Stevonnie goes to a bench and pulls out the donuts. Connie's and Steven's personalities begin to bubble up, and Steven asks Connie if she wants to stop being fused with him. Connie is about to answer when Sour Cream gives Stevonnie an invitation to a party he is DJ-ing. Stevonnie accepts the invitation and goes to the party.
In the warehouse where the party is held, they see several people dancing, except Kevin, who just says, "Whatever". They walk amidst the party goers and begin to dance, drawing everyone's attention to them. Sour Cream says "I'm amazing," and plays the music louder. When they are done, they realize no one is dancing with them. Connie's anxiety takes over and Stevonnie panics. The people seem to grow taller, and they are "encased" in a large disco ball. After a second, Kevin joins them and starts dancing. They reject him and walk over to a wall. There, Connie's part of the fusion thinks about how she would be enjoying this if her friend was there, but being fused into one being with Steven is not the same thing as having Steven with her. Over there, Kevin coerces Stevonnie to dance with him until they get angry and begrudgingly accept. When they pull him out onto the dance floor, they begin dancing wildly and ferociously. Their gem begins to glow, and they split into Steven and Connie once again.
This makes Kevin panic, who runs out of the building. Steven and Connie, after a moment, start laughing hysterically and cry tears of relief. Sour Cream, unperturbed, starts throwing everyone glow sticks, which Steven and Connie run through, still laughing.
- Connie Maheswaran
- Stevonnie (debut)
- Sour Cream
- Kevin (debut)
- Jenny (cameo)
- Buck Dewey (cameo)
- Ronaldo Fryman (cameo)
- Lars being so flustered around Stevonnie may be a call-back to the "Pilot", where Lars told Steven he is "not exactly a hot girl".
- Garnet mentions that she does not have trouble fusing, subtly foreshadowing the reveal that she is a near-permanent fusion of the gems Ruby and Sapphire. Her gleeful reaction to Stevonnie reflects how important fusion is to Garnet.
- The party-goers in the club were modeled after the Crewniverse, as evident by the model sheets naming them "Crewniverse".
- Pearl probably assumed a Gem couldn't fuse with a human due to witnessing Greg's failed attempt to fuse with Rose in "We Need to Talk".
- During NYCC 2016, AJ Michalka said this is her favorite episode that she personally worked on.
- When Sour Cream is DJ-ing at the rave, you can see he is using multiple devices that look strikingly similar to a Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, and a Game & Watch.
- Sour Cream's DJ-ing is a reference to Surasshu and his fan creations of chiptune music.
- The second dance Amethyst and Steven try to do resembles the moves from the song "Macarena".
- The dance Garnet is doing seems to be based on waacking.
- This episode's title might be a reference to a popular Fall Out Boy song of the same name.
- Stevonnie tries to pay for their doughnuts with several $3 bills, referencing the running joke of 3 dollar bills showing up in the show.
- Sour Cream's rave party takes place in the same warehouse from "Tiger Millionaire" and "Shirt Club".
- It seems that Lars and Sadie are on better terms since "Island Adventure".
- Garnet commented in the episode "Giant Woman" that Steven would be great at fusing one day. His success in fusion noticeably made Garnet proud, to the point of her grinning.
- When Pearl snaps her finger, saying "a 5,6,7,8!", Garnet stands next to her. After the camera pans to Amethyst and Steven, she isn't there. A while later, she is seen standing next to Pearl again.
- When Pearl is held against the wall as part of her dance with Garnet, a layering error makes it appear as if one of Pearl's fingers is in front of Garnet's face, despite being on the wall.
- When Garnet is shown smiling, her left hand is completely covered in her glove, as opposed to just one finger.
- When Stevonnie unfuses, the strap that is part of Connie's dress disappears.
- When Stevonnie is asking how much they owe Lars and Sadie for the doughnuts, their shirt strap is down, but in the next scene, it is in place again.
- While Sour Cream is convincing Stevonnie to come to the rave, his body got cut off at the bottom of the frame.
View the episode's transcript here.