We're going into space, and we're not coming back without Greg.
Steven and Garnet warp into the Beach House to be greeted by Pearl and Amethyst. Steven calls for action to catch up to Blue Diamond who took Greg from Earth. The discussion about the event concluded Blue Diamond and Greg's destination to be Pink Diamond's Zoo. The Crystal Gems set off in the Roaming Eye after a safety inspection by Peridot.
During the flight through space, the Crystal Gems encounter the asteroid belt and navigate around it, encountering the Ruby squad members Doc, Navy and Army on their windscreen before flying off back into space.
Steven asks Pearl how long it will take to reach the Zoo. Pearl reads the panel to see it will take seventy human years. Steven is concerned as Greg is not healthy enough to live that long. Garnet mentions the gravity engine which would bend reality. Pearl claims it would just alter the definition of speed by manipulating space-time and questions how it would affect organic matter. Steven takes the chance of turning into a pancake and activates the gravity engine.
Steven wakes up from a blackout to see the Gems flattened thanks to the ship being calibrated for Rubies. Steven attempts to change the settings to return the Gems to normal but instead causes them to morph into different Gem types. Steven tries to adjust it manually but morphs the Gems into chaotic shapes lacking integrity. Steven eventually causes the system to return an error. He presses the X on the screen and results in the ship traveling faster than light speed.
Steven sees the screen indicate their destination is being approached at an uncomfortable speed. In an effort to stop the ship, Steven pushes himself to touch the screen, initially failing to do so while mourning the situation to succeeding with the acquired determination from his distress.
As everything returns to normal in the ship, the Crystal Gems rejoice. It is then seen in the distance their destination has been reached.
- Lapis Lazuli (non-speaking)
- Ruby (hologram)
- Ruby (Doc) (non-speaking)
- Ruby (Army) (non-speaking)
- Ruby (Navy) (non-speaking)
- Greg Universe (mentioned)
- Blue Diamond (mentioned)
- Pink Diamond (mentioned)
- Connie Maheswaran (mentioned)
- The asteroid belt is a disc of asteroids in the solar system located between the orbit of Mars and Jupiter. It took the Roaming Eye seventeen seconds to collide with the first asteroid from the asteroid belt which from Earth is estimated to be between 179.5 and 329 million kilometers. This can mean the Roaming Eye can travel at an estimate of ten to twenty million kilometers per second post-launching.
- However, the real asteroid belt didn't have such — physically impossible — density, so it might be assumed that the Roaming Eye contacted some other swarm of stellar bodies (probably created by Homeworld Gems during occupation of Earth). The presence of Rubies, who couldn't possibly travel so far with their low initial velocity, seems to confirm that assumption. Also, when Roaming Eye is shown with the Earth behind, the velocity of the ship is clearly sublight.
- This episode reveals that Greg is around forty years old.
- Most of the interior scenes of the Roaming Eye traveling at dangerous speed were inspired from the "Stargate Sequence" scene of the 1968 sci-fi film 2001: A Space Odyssey.
- Steven and the Gems going into gravity warp in the Roaming Eye is very similar to the USS Enterprise entering the wormhole and the crew holding on tight from the 1979 sci-fi film Star Trek: The Motion Picture.
- This episode continues the story begun by "Steven's Dream".
- Three members of the Ruby squad were seen colliding with the Roaming Eye after the events in the asteroid belt, referring to the event where the Ruby squad and Steven were vacuumed into space after the fight on the Moon Base in "Back to the Moon".
- Ronaldo's theory about Homeworld keeping a human zoo from "Rising Tides, Crashing Skies" proved to be correct.
- When Pearl informs Steven they will arrive at the Zoo in about seventy years, her lack of concern regarding Greg's state after such time suggests an unfamiliarity with the average human lifespan. This is first demonstrated in "Space Race", during which Pearl attempts to reassure Greg by telling him she will bring Steven back to Earth in fifty years.
- Note: Time is displayed in [mm:ss]; [00:00] refers to the point after the title card is displayed and before the episode's start.
- [00:00] Hilary Florido and Lauren Zuke are mistakenly credited for writing and storyboarding the episode in the title card. This error was fixed in the televised and iTunes versions.
- When talking about the gravity engine in the Roaming Eye, while Amethyst says "Oh yeah [Peridot] said it bends reality", the symbol of the Great Diamond Authority has an orange triangle where there should be a white triangle
View the episode's transcript here.